The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-16-2018, 08:44 PM

Default Emerald X7 Pickup Questions

Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the standard LR Baggs VTC pickup. I'm thinking of getting an X7 and I'm deciding if I want to upgrade to the LR Baggs Anthem SL. The uplift of $150 seems reasonable.

I'm also wondering if there are dealers in North America that I can deal with or do folks generally go directly through Emerald Guitars.

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2018, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinto View Post
Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the standard LR Baggs VTC pickup. I'm thinking of getting an X7 and I'm deciding if I want to upgrade to the LR Baggs Anthem SL. The uplift of $150 seems reasonable.

I'm also wondering if there are dealers in North America that I can deal with or do folks generally go directly through Emerald Guitars.

Thanks!
Can’t answer the first question, but for the second - Emerald has no dealers. You have to go direct.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-16-2018, 09:16 PM

I have the VTC in my X20-12 and the Anthem in my X20. Both are nice. The Anthem is a bit nicer. I don't plug in much anymore, so not a whole lot of testing experience here. We also have the VTC in our X7 woody (need to verify that) but it has only been plugged in to test the functioning of the pickup when it got here new. She doesn't plug in.

Emerald only sells direct through their web site - no dealers. They are pretty good about returns (quite rare). Then they process the refund. You eat the shipping both ways, and return the guitar in like-new condition. The best you can do is ask questions, and if you are very lucky, be near someone who already has an Emerald you can try.

Warning: After the The Gathering in Phoenix last February, we now have three, and dibs on one more. I have other CF guitars, but the X20 gets the majority of my play time now. It got lots of positive coments at the bluegrass jam last night. Tone, looks, comfort for the player - X20 has it all. The X7 is comfy for persons of smaller stature and for travel, but the X20 goes to 11!
Old 08-16-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I have the VTC in my X20-12 and the Anthem in my X20. Both are nice. The Anthem is a bit nicer. I don't plug in much anymore, so not a whole lot of testing experience here. We also have the VTC in our X7 woody (need to verify that) but it has only been plugged in to test the functioning of the pickup when it got here new. She doesn't plug in.

Emerald only sells direct through their web site - no dealers. They are pretty good about returns (quite rare). Then they process the refund. You eat the shipping both ways, and return the guitar in like-new condition. The best you can do is ask questions, and if you are very lucky, be near someone who already has an Emerald you can try.

Warning: After the The Gathering in Phoenix last February, we now have three, and dibs on one more. I have other CF guitars, but the X20 gets the majority of my play time now. It got lots of positive coments at the bluegrass jam last night. Tone, looks, comfort for the player - X20 has it all. The X7 is comfy for persons of smaller stature and for travel, but the X20 goes to 11!

Thanks for the info. I'm looking for something smaller for travel and playing in the backyard, hence the X7. But if I love it, then....
Old 08-16-2018, 09:21 PM

It might help to know roughly where you are. There might be someone nearby..... We're a pretty friendly bunch, willing to share our CF addiction with others.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

I have the LR Baggs Element VTC pickup in my X20 and it sounds good. I frequently play plugged in; no issue with EQ/tone, whether with my Bose or a different rig. The Anthem adds a mic with the Element pickup - I haven't used one, but I would expect it to, likewise, sound good, and offer more EQ/tone options.

My X7 (previous model) has a B-Band pickup, and that is my favorite. Some people don't care for the barndoor pickup; I find it to be a good on-board tool.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

I had an X7 with the VTC and it was a decent sounding pickup system. I'm generally not a fan of the UST pickup systems and generally go with K&K or SBT type systems for their simplicity.

I, too, had a B-Band in my original X20 and it sounded okay, a bit tinny though. I love the idea behind the barn door set up and if someone made a decent one with a good pickup I might go that route. I really wish K&K made one! I'd love to have some EQ, notch and even a tuner right there at my fingertips for live playing.

The look of barn door electronics doesn't bother me, especially on an Emerald where the already high-tech look abounds, but barn door systems always seem to eventually fail. That's one of the reasons I like the K&K SBT - bulletproof reliability because there's just very little that can go wrong. And it's easier to change/upgrade an external system as new things come out.

But to have that ability to plug straight into anything with just the guitar... SO temping. Hmmm, maybe a dual system - K&K plus a small barn door UST for open mics...
Old 08-17-2018, 10:05 AM

For the lovers of K&K, and there are many, there is the UltraPure Mini. All the advantages of the K&K pickups and a matching preamp. I have one installed in a Voyage-Air and it works great!
I added a LR Baggs Anthem to my X20. Expensive but IMO one of the best pickups on the market
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 08-17-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
For the lovers of K&K, and there are many, there is the UltraPure Mini. All the advantages of the K&K pickups and a matching preamp. I have one installed in a Voyage-Air and it works great!
I added a LR Baggs Anthem to my X20. Expensive but IMO one of the best pickups on the market
BT, did you get Anthem SL or more expensive Anthem? And Emerald installed? For how much? If you don't mind sharing? Someone said much cheaper to have a local luthier install.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
BT, did you get Anthem SL or more expensive Anthem? And Emerald installed? For how much? If you don't mind sharing? Someone said much cheaper to have a local luthier install.

I bought the Anthem on sale at 20% off. I’ve installed a number of pickups before and installed this one.
When installing a pickup on a CF guitar you need to sand any area you are installing anything on. The CF is rough and nothing will stick if you don’t sand. With the Anthem I sanded the underside of the bridge, the guitars side where the battery is mounted and the sound hole where the pre-amp mounts. My Emerald was already drilled for the under saddle pickup. Everything mounted with no problems. I drilled the endplate the same way I do on wood guitars. Remove the strap pin, tape the area and use graduating size drill bits until the diameter is right. I use a metal coat hanger with the end bent over covered with electrical tape to grab the end pin for adjustments and installation. The installation really sounds harder than it is.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul

Last edited by BT55; 08-17-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:17 PM

If you install the LR element pickup, can you upgrade to the Anthem later? technically, its the same thing plus a mic right?

Would emerald install a K&K instead of the LR? Don't see that option...
Old 08-17-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyprof View Post
If you install the LR element pickup, can you upgrade to the Anthem later? technically, its the same thing plus a mic right?

The LR Baggs Element’s pickup is hard wired to the end pin, so the answer is no. The Anthems parts are all plug in to the pre-amp.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Old 08-17-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I bought the Anthem on sale at 20% off. I’ve installed a number of pickups before and installed this one.
When installing a pickup on a CF guitar you need to sand any area you are installing anything on. The CF is rough and nothing will stick if you don’t sand. With the Anthem I sanded the underside of the bridge, the guitars side where the battery is mounted and the sound hole where the pre-amp mounts. My Emerald was already drilled for the under saddle pickup. Everything mounted with no problems. I drilled the endplate the same way I do on wood guitars. Remove the strap pin, tape the area and use graduating size drill bits until the diameter is right. I use a metal coat hanger with the end bent over covered with electrical tape to grab the end pin for adjustments and installation. The installation really sounds harder than it is.
Bt, you convinced me to have it done by Emerald. I am sure others would benefit from your know-how.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyprof View Post

Emerald will install a K&K for the standard upcharge of any pickup system. It requires them to prepare the inside for where the sound board transducers are glued on. My X20 custom has a K&K installed and it sounds great. It's actually a little hotter than my Martin custom, also with a K&K. My new X7 custom will also have a K&K. If you're used to the K&K system then there will be not surprises. Whatever you have to do for any other guitar (from a preamp/EQ standpoint) you'll need to do with an Emerald with a K&K.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:41 AM

So the k&k costs the same as an anthem?
If that's the case, I may stick with an anthem. Now if it's the same cost as the element, that makes more sense.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber