The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-04-2018, 05:36 PM

Smile My second Emerald X7 (order placed)

I totally love my green X7, received a year ago. Tone is awesome, and I really enjoy the 24.9" scale and neck shape, both custom ordered. However, I goofed in the way I communicated the neck thickness to Alistair and the neck turned out a bit too thin for me. Love the guitar in every other way so very determined to make it work. Photo below:

Fast forward to last week, where I reached out to engage Emerald on the new 2018 models, curious about some of the changes in dimensions. Alistair made it a bit easier for me to dive in and try again, given the goof on prior guitars' neck specs, despite it being my mistake. (side comment - this outfit is totally focused on customer satisfaction, no matter where the cause lies. VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!) I ended up ordering a woody this time, with amber back/sides and my beloved 24.9" scale...but this time going with the standard Emerald neck. Alistair described it as slightly smaller than before and very "C" shaped (similar to Taylor), which convinced me it will work 'as is' for my Taylor-esque neck preference.

So now I'm stoked and looking forward to a second X7. Not sure if I'll keep both or will sell my lovely green one. When new one arrives, I'll report here on the A/B comparison between the 2017 and 2018 models. I've owned and admired Rainsong and Blackbird guitars, but my overall experience is Emerald is the class act of carbon fiber guitars, in both pace of innovation and ability to customize. Plus, their customer-focus is second to none. I'm a total fan.

My woody Pauo Ferro veneer is shown below, btw - would love any comments from other woody owners on how you think this will look in the final guitar!

Last edited by Carmel Cedar; 08-05-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:43 PM

Nice! I've wondered how a 24.9" scale would be on an x7.

Right now I'd like to hear a user report on any of the new x7's though. I'm sure acwild would like to oblige, if his guitar could get out of England.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
My woody Pauo Ferro veneer is shown below, btw - would love any comments from other X7 owners on your thoughts on how you think this will look in the final guitar!
Looks like a lovely choice, congrats on the upcoming X7. I'm only a week ahead of you on my order and I'm already fidgeting about wanting it now, now, now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post

Right now I'd like to hear a user report on any of the new x7's though. I'm sure acwild would like to oblige, if his guitar could get out of England.
Ditto, as someone with a 2017 X7 and a 2018 X& ordered, I'm dying to hear about someone's report of a new X7. Come on acwild's guitar!!!!!
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 08-04-2018, 06:07 PM
Guest 928

I have a short scale on my X7-OSN, thin bodied electric, and it's marvelous.

And the wood? To die for. Good on you, and you're still standing.

Congratulations and I look forward to subsequent reports.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Comments?

How 'bout:

OMG, that is gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Old 08-04-2018, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Very nice! This place is going to positively explode with giddy NGD posts in about four months time!!!
Old 08-05-2018, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post

Ouch!
Carmel, your guitar is going to be absolutely gorgeous!
Old 08-05-2018, 05:17 AM

24.9" is my favorite scale length as well. Last week I ordered an X7 nylon with those specs.

Sorry, not a big fan of those veneers but that's just me. I don't like flashy tops on actual wooden guitars either.
Are the back and sides going to be black? Personally I don't think the four standard colors would combine well with this top.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 08-05-2018, 07:16 AM

I have a similar feeling about the wood veneers as "mountainmaster" does.
I prefer a carbon fiber weave appearance over any wood veneer.
(It's a carbon fiber guitar, not wood, why hide it.)

For those folks that do not like the carbon fiber weave look, it's great that Emerald offers a wide range of wood veneer choices and your wood veneer choice looks very interesting. The wood grain in your veneer has a softer less bold appearance compared to some wood veneers and I think those subtle shades of brown in the wood grain will blend extremely well with the Amber back and sides.
I'm sure the talented folks at Emerald are crafting you a masterpiece that'll be beautiful.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 08-05-2018, 12:20 PM

Thanks so much Jason, WW, Evan, Cap'n Jim, Methos, AC, mountainmaster and 121. Appreciate your thoughts and comments.

On the carbon weaver vs woody look, I actually like both. I think of the woody top as a cool decorative effect, not as a means of hiding the cf weave. May actually keep the green X7 partly because I do like both looks.

I did go back and forth on whether to go with the black b/s, or the amber. Can imagine if the pauo ferro is on the dark side, black might look well. But on my green X7, the green color is fairly subdued (except in bright light), so am thinking the amber may look more dark brown in most playing situations, so may end up matching well to color elements in the woody top. But that's just a guess. Alistair seemed very positive, so I'm guessing he imagines he'll make it beautiful - probably the most important opinion, as the guitar's fate lies in his capable hands!

Appreciate the thoughts, and welcome any more...
Old 08-06-2018, 10:06 AM

I don't have a woody, but I sometime pretend my X20 is. Not really, I love the deep blue that I have. Being a symmetrical guy, I would personally prefer to have the eyes line up. It appears to me that the top or left side is slightly lower than the bottom or right, which makes the bookmatching not match as well as it could for the bottom grain. On the other hand, if this is the final bookmatch, then it will look great. Which pickup did you pick if any?

Emerald X20 Artisan w/Anthem
83 Martin D 18
Washburn Augusta
Yamaha 12 string
Old 10-25-2018, 06:16 PM

Thank you all for your kind comments! I appreciate them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Very nice! This place is going to positively explode with giddy NGD posts in about four months time!!!
I got "the email" from Emerald that the guitar is close to ready for shipping. Y'all may be seeing my NGD by second week of November, maybe earlier!
Old 10-25-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:

I got "the email" from Emerald that the guitar is close to ready for shipping. Y'all may be seeing my NGD by second week of November, maybe earlier!

Nice!!! Ill rest up.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-25-2018, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Cool, I'm very happy for you (albeit quite jealous). My new nylon X7 is supposed to be finished by the end of November, so seeing you get yours will only get me more excited.

You really chose a stunning wood, I think it is going to be gorgeous. And as someone who also has an old style X7 and the new one (hopefully) arriving next month, I'm eager to hear your comparison of them. Congrats on seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 10-25-2018, 06:34 PM
Guest 928

Now calm down Wicked. This waiting stuff is not easy, not for the weak or queasy. Take a hint from the Captain and the Kramster, go play your heart out on what you have and it'll all be good. Hang in there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber