The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-25-2015, 10:31 AM

Default String change introduced B string buzz

I think I have diagnosed this, but this is a first time I've encountered this so I'd appreciate thoughts from the pros if I have a proper diagnosis.

I have a essentially brand new guitar, and when it arrived it played perfectly, no issues at all -- perfectly straight neck, brand new nut/saddle.

But I don't know what kind of strings are on it, or how old, so I restrung it with a new set of d 'addario ej16s to start getting an idea of what different strings are going to sound like.

With the new strings the B string gave me that sitar like sound on every fret, and open too. The buzz occurs only when the string is struck medium to hard, and stops once the string energy has dissapated.'

The action is still very high, it needs a setup to address that, but I am absolutely certain this is not fret buzzing... Also, the string break angle is very high, probably 40 degrees or so because of the high saddle.

These are the steps I took next to diagnose the source of the problem:
  1. Are the ball ends of all the strings appropriately seated against the bridge plate? Loosened every string, and double checked that the string ball ends were appropriately seated against the bridge plate.

Buzz still there

2. Repeat step 1) (Can't be too careful)

Buzz still there

3. Make sure there isn't some sympathetic resonance going on the the other strings. Strike the B string open, while muting all other strings. (I think this wasn't a necessary step, but it only takes a couple of seconds)

Buzz still there

4. Is the buzz at the nut or saddle? Already pretty sure it's at the saddle, but I put a capo on the 3rd fret and give it a try.

Buzz still there

5. Now, I think I've confirmed the buzz is at the saddle, and it is on the B string. If that's true, then I thought if I put a tiny piece of paper between the B string and the saddle, then the buzz should disappear, because the paper will prevent direct contact of the hard string against the hard saddle while the string vibrates.

Buzz is gone!, albeit the string doesn't sound bright, which is to be expected.

What I think is going on is the new B string guage from the new set of strings is just slightly enough different to cause the buzzing at the saddle because the saddle may be too flat, and a tiny bit more rounding of the saddle at the B string will permanently fix the problem.

Does the procedure I followed make sense, and do you think I've got the problem diagnosed properly?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Last edited by weltyj; 01-25-2015 at 02:25 PM. Reason: adding an important detail about action
Old 01-25-2015, 05:20 PM

Is the new string the same gauge as the original string? If they aren't the same, and the new string is lighter, it might be sitting further down in the slot than the old string did.

If they are the same gauge, the only thing I can think of is that the new string is stiffer and the "break point" of the string is further back in the slot.

At any rate, your first step would be to get yet another string, the same gauge as the original, and fit that. Costs a buck or two, and it might fix the problem. If it doesn't, well, you've got a spare string.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:27 PM

Could also be a kink in the string, Pinch the string between your thumb and index finger and run it down the length of the string. You'll usually be able to feel if there is a kink.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:27 PM

Hey Jeff. I like how you describe it as a sitar-like sounding buzz. I too get this sound when I mix string gauges. For example, I installed medium gauge on strings 1, 2, and 6 – which RAISED the action further away from the frets. However, I started hearing lots of weird string buzz (a kind that sounded different from strings buzzing against frets). I’m no audio engineer, but I’m pretty sure the mixed string gauge caused a weird oscillation buzz, or oscillation feedback between the strings. The strings that gave this weird non-fret buzz usually seemed to be the non-played open strings that vibrated due to the sounds of the other strings being played. Again, no strings were hitting the frets, and the guitar was in tune. This weird oscillation buzz disappeared when I went back to all light gauge strings (which, of course, lowered the action CLOSER to the frets -- so I know it’s not a fret/action issue). It may be that the companies who make the specialized DADGAD sets (wherein they make strings 1, 2, and 6 at medium gauge, and 3,4,5 at light gauge) may have found a way to avoid this odd buzzing -- which I look forward to trying. (When I discovered this odd problem, I was mixing not just gauges, but also two different well-known string manufacturers.) // Anyway, hope this info helps anyone who experiments with mixing string gauges. And if you know the correct terminology for “oscillation buzz” or “oscillation feedback” based on gauge thickness, please do share with the forum. OR If you sense I'm wrong on the oscillation-buzz theory, please do post a reply with another theory. Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
buzz, diagnosis, string change