The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-11-2018, 02:50 PM

Default Original Tune - "Just Some Arpeggios"

Hey guys, I'm a long time lurker, been playing classical and acoustic for a long time and started composing this summer.

This tune started off as some fun DADGAD arpeggios and I built a chorus/bridge I though sounded good off of that. Hope you enjoy!

recorded with the focusrite scarlett interface and the default mic that came with it, edited in Pro Tools First. I welcome any feedback or advice on stuff, I'm new to this whole songwriting thing.

Taylor 210e, Alvarez AC65, Yamaha CG 101, Cordoba C5, San Cristobal Cigar Box Guitar, Pueblo Drum

My Stuff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVm...UlGJ1FX1KRzszw
Old 08-12-2018, 08:18 PM

Hi Eric! Welcome to AGF!
You are an excellent player!! Great stuff.....I've listened to a number of your tracks.
The original piece was a fun listen for me..........I think you'll do really well in composing and it seems like you've got a great technical background to begin that part of process and you've mastered some great tunes by great artists.
As I listened to "Arpeggios" one approach to this which my ear heard:
-shorten the intro......and move sooner into your up beat theme at about 1:21, which to me really starts things rolling. you already seem to have a bridge to this with what you bring at 2:46, and then you return to your upbeat theme again at 3:09. At least for this listener......that could be one approach which would grab you earlier and hold you through this tune which I really like.
I also noticed that as you record, you have a lot of breathing mouth/nasal noise which gets picked up. a lot of us have to learn how to control this with those very sensitive mics!
Wonderful playing!
Regards,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Last edited by islandguitar; 08-12-2018 at 08:40 PM. Reason: word deleted
Old 08-13-2018, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the feedback Fred! Any tips on breathing? I try to work on it but sometimes default to breathing in time with more difficult bits.

Taylor 210e, Alvarez AC65, Yamaha CG 101, Cordoba C5, San Cristobal Cigar Box Guitar, Pueblo Drum

Old 08-13-2018, 02:36 PM

HI Eric, thanks......I'm sure everybody has their own process.....for me, I take a large breath and deeply exhale before I start, and then rely on VERY shallow breathing from there through the piece. Being as relaxed as possible of course.

AGF is a great site and filled with tons of knowledge and people who like to share. Googling at the bottom of the site will give you a huge archive of past topics/threads to look over. I'll bet breathing or something similar is in there!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 08-13-2018, 10:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

No tips from me other than: keep on playing, writing, recording and sharing! I agree with Fred - you are an excellent guitar player. I really enjoyed this, and look forward to hearing more from you!
Old 08-24-2018, 11:03 AM

Thanks guys

Old 08-24-2018, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Good job and welcome to the forum.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Tags
fingerstyle, original