The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-31-2018, 08:19 PM

Default Fully Crystal Ice Finish Emerald?

Anyone seen one of these before? I saw a couple matte black finished guitars on Emerald's site, but I wonder if they could make a colored but fully crystal ice finished guitar. Why?

1. no fingerprints
2. harder to damage than gloss
3. it looks cool

Drawback:
1. repeated rubbing of the same area could turn that area glossy...
2. forum people will laugh at you for entertaining such a fool's errand.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

1. The gloss is so easy to clean, it's a non issue
2. I'm not sure that's true.
3.The ice, looks good, gloss looks really good.

I'm just having some fun, and enjoy reading your ideas to come up with something different. But I don't think you have a winner yet. next.....
Old 08-01-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
1. The gloss is so easy to clean, it's a non issue
2. I'm not sure that's true.
3.The ice, looks good, gloss looks really good.

I'm just having some fun, and enjoy reading your ideas to come up with something different. But I don't think you have a winner yet. next.....
Haha. Thanks for entertaining my crazy ideas.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:49 PM

Fully Crystal Ice Finish initially seemed like a good idea to me also.

I presently have a 2016 X7 Amber Artisan with a gloss top and crystal ice back and sides, and a 2016 X20 Amber Artisan that is all gloss, (but I wish I had gone with crystal ice back and side on my X20).

I was on the fence about going with Fully Crystal Ice Finish on my new X7 (presently in production), and it was ordered to have a fully crystal ice finish.
One justification was, I already had gloss tops on my other two Emerald guitars, so why not have a Fully Crystal Ice Finish on this new X7.
I also used the same positive reasoning as most folks:
1. no fingerprints
2. harder to damage than gloss
3. it looks cool

After more thought and much visual comparison between the crystal ice and gloss finish, in different lighting, different visual angles and distances,
jdinco is correct "The ice, looks good, gloss looks really good."

I decided a fully crystal ice finish on this new X7 is a mistake and I contacted Alistair (yesterday 31 July 18) and he amended the build notes to read "crystal ice back and sides only".
Alistair commented, he thought it was a good choice.

I'm very thankful Alistair is so accommodating and it wasn't too late in the production cycle.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 08-01-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
I presently have a 2016 X7 Amber Artisan with a gloss top and crystal ice back and sides, and a 2016 X20 Amber Artisan that is all gloss, (but I wish I had gone with crystal ice back and side on my X20).
Why do you wish for the ice back and sides? That is more appealing to me as well but I'm interested to hear your experience.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:40 PM

Default Rubbing Sound..Gloss Finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
Why do you wish for the ice back and sides? That is more appealing to me as well but I'm interested to hear your experience.
Occasionally when I play my X20 (placed on my knee) and the gloss finish of the guitar rubs against my denim jeans, a wood squeak type sound is produced. This rubbing sound is not a big deal, just a slight annoyance, and it only happens occasionally but more often in humid weather.
When playing my X7 and the crystal ice finish rubs against my denim jeans I do not get this rubbing sound.

What do I mean by wood squeak type sound ?

This may seem silly, please don't laugh, but I found an example on youtube.
The wood squeaking sound is much more intense in this example and of more varying degree in pitch, but it is that type of rubbing sound.

2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 08-13-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
Occasionally when I play my X20 (placed on my knee) and the gloss finish of the guitar rubs against my denim jeans, a wood squeak type sound is produced.
Makes sense! I'm a fan of all things non-glossy. My grand piano is rare among Kawais for being matte instead of high polish, etc.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber