The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-11-2019, 06:49 PM

This is a hot button topic discussed ad nauseam here on AGF. But to answer your question I too am left handed in most things, but I play musical instruments right handed. Like everything in the real world, the level of dominance a person has with a hand, foot or eye is not binary - its a continuum from those that essentially can't use their non-dominant hand to those that are truly ambidextrous. I don't know where you lie on this analog spectrum, but I don't think you will ever experience a setback or hit a wall because you didn't start out on guitar lefty. Playing a musical instrument or a sport requires coordination between your hands, eyes, posture, balance, breathing and mental state. Some people are naturally better coordinated than others, while some have to work hard to walk and chew gum simultaneously.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:15 AM

Pretty comprehensive list here, with all kinds of unorthodox ways of playing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_and_bassists
Old 01-12-2019, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme789 View Post
I fall into this category also. My feeling is that the convention is backwards anyhow ... Who wouldn't want their master hand on the fretboard ? I see it as a distinct advantage.
TOTALLY AGREE! Seems logical to have the dominant had on the fretboard.
also as islander says - when i first started playing there were no left handed guitars.

Played drums as a righty too.

In my first Prep(junior) school I was beaten for writing with my left hand so it was kinda forced out of me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write