The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-29-2018, 03:01 PM

Default Schertler Roy

As you can see, the K&M 26747 Projector tray is a perfect size for the Schertler Roy. I think I need a slightly heavier duty short stand with holes drilled for pin height support. The one I have needs to be tightened a lot to support that much weight. This works well enough that I don’t feel the need to modify the Roy for a speaker stand.

Last edited by lkingston; 12-29-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:06 PM

Default Schertler Roy

I have a extra long power cable and Xvive wireless for mics and a Boss W20L for the guitar. One amazing sounding (yet very simple) setup. The only cable is for power!

Last edited by lkingston; 12-29-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:27 AM

Default Schertler Roy

The Yorkville short speaker stand in the earlier photos was a bit wobbly. I just replaced it with an Audio 2000S stand which is far more solid. This stand is steel rather than aluminum and quite a bit thicker construction. This stand is rated for 100 pounds: twice the weight of the Roy. It has just one height setting but it is about right: as high as possible while still giving easy access to the top mixer controls. That height is secured with a pin instead of just knob tightened tension. The legs are orange so you don’t trip over them:

So what I’ve ended up with for a front facing slightly elevated Roy stand is the Audio 2000S heavy duty short speaker stand with the K&M 26747 Projector tray on top of it.

Last edited by lkingston; 01-09-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
The Yorkville short speaker stand in the earlier photos was a bit wobbly. I just replaced it with an Audio 2000S stand which is far more solid. This stand is steel rather than aluminum and quite a bit thicker construction. This stand is rated for 100 pounds: twice the weight of the Roy. It has just one height setting but it is about right: as high as possible while still giving easy access to the top mixer controls. That height is secured with a pin instead of just knob tightened tension. The legs are orange so you don’t trip over them:

So what I’ve ended up with for a front facing slightly elevated Roy stand is the Audio 2000S heavy duty short speaker stand with the K&M 26747 Projector tray on top of it.
Glad to see you swapped out the earlier stand. But if you're out gigging, you should really consider a pole mount as it is so much more stable and convenient than a table top. I've been in contact with Schertler since they first started selling the JAM 400 and they know I've been using a pole mount and they've never recommended against it. The pole mount in my Jam 400 has been used almost daily for 3 years with no ill effect. And the one I use I use is rated for speakers of 200lbs and work perfectly for the bigger JAM amps (Jam 400 and the Roy). The pole mounts Schertler sells for their smaller speakers aren't meant for the Roy. The ones I use have a backplate/ring that goes inside the cabinet so you use machine bolts to hold everything together instead of wood screws. It is so much more stable than using a table top stand.

https://www.parts-express.com/penn-e...CABEgLeRfD_BwE

https://www.parts-express.com/penn-e...-hats--245-015

Here is the Jam 400 with pole mount mounted on the same Audio 2000s stand as yours (all black version)

And the same pole mounts on my Jam 200

Old 01-13-2019, 03:37 PM

Default Schertler Roy

I’m not much of a carpenter. So far the shelf K&M shelf seems to be fine. In some smaller gig sized rooms, the angled up stand seems to sound better anyway. I haven’t really got a handle on which to use in a given room yet.

How does the Jam 200 with the added subwoofer compare to just the Jam 400 by itself?
Old 01-13-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I’m not much of a carpenter. So far the shelf K&M shelf seems to be fine. In some smaller gig sized rooms, the angled up stand seems to sound better anyway. I haven’t really got a handle on which to use in a given room yet.

How does the Jam 200 with the added subwoofer compare to just the Jam 400 by itself?
They both sound good and it really depends on the room. The compression driver of the Jam400/Roy projects pretty good, but when the Jam200 is set with the lowend rolled off (letting the sub do the heavy lifting), it projects vocals pretty nice. I like the convenience of less cords with the Jam 400, but I like the low weight of the separate cabs when I have to schlep the stuff up stairs! I like having the extra FX of the Jam 400, but when just using reverb I like the Jam 200. So as you can see there's a lot to consider. One thing I will say though when it comes to raw power ie LOUDNESS, the Jam 400 kicks some serious butt!
Old 01-13-2019, 11:02 PM

Default Schertler Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
... I like the convenience of less cords with the Jam 400...
That was a major factor of my choice of the Roy. I have Xvive U3 mic wireless and Boss WL20 wireless for guitar. The only cable I need (besides backups which stay in a case) is an extra long power cord.

Quote:
... I like having the extra FX of the Jam 400...
Yes, I use reverb and occasional delay and it nice not to have to bring effects pedals and extra patch cables.

Quote:
...One thing I will say though when it comes to raw power ie LOUDNESS, the Jam 400 kicks some serious butt!
You know, I love playing low volumes because of my hearing damage issues, but there are times when the crowd is bigger than you expected and you need the power to be there. The Roy has the power when you need it, but also sounds really sweet at softer levels when you don't.

Last edited by lkingston; 01-13-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:35 PM

Sorry I saw this a bit late....

I bought my Roy in November and have used it a few times now, usually for small gigs. I bought it for larger wedding gigs that are coming in the next few months.

Sound quality is incredible, and I think the sound dispersion is fine. I just got my "stand" so I will be using that to get it off the ground for tonight's gig!
Old 02-15-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
That was a major factor of my choice of the Roy. I have Xvive U3 mic wireless and Boss WL20 wireless for guitar. The only cable I need (besides backups which stay in a case) is an extra long power cord.

Yes, I use reverb and occasional delay and it nice not to have to bring effects pedals and extra patch cables.

You know, I love playing low volumes because of my hearing damage issues, but there are times when the crowd is bigger than you expected and you need the power to be there. The Roy has the power when you need it, but also sounds really sweet at softer levels when you don't.
Exactly.. I am playing smaller venues, and unlike some larger amps, Roy doesn't sound like a loud amp/PA just turned down. It sounds clear and warm even at very low volumes.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post

Sound quality is incredible, and I think the sound dispersion is fine. I just got my "stand" so I will be using that to get it off the ground for tonight's gig!
What stand do you have?
Old 02-17-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post
It sounds clear and warm even at very low volumes.
It's amazing how the sound remains intact when you turn the Roy up or down. I've never run across any other speaker that does this.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
What stand do you have?
I bought the Gator Frameworks Guitar Combo Amp Stand (GFW-GTR-AMP).

I'm not too happy with it as it appears to be more of a monitor stand perhaps?
Old 02-17-2019, 02:34 PM

I have two stands for my Roy: the Shertler S4 angled up stand and the table style one that I posted. The angled up one seems to fill the room if the acoustics are just right. It also seems appropriate if I am plugging into a house sound system and using it as a monitor/mixer. The table style on is probably better for most gigs. I don't have enough experience with the Roy yet to know for sure.

How did that last gig go? It looks like you play classical guitar. Do you do any vocals? I can picture an angled up stand working well for a gig where you want to fill a room with music but aren't worried about vocal clarity.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I have two stands for my Roy: the Shertler S4 angled up stand and the table style one that I posted. The angled up one seems to fill the room if the acoustics are just right. It also seems appropriate if I am plugging into a house sound system and using it as a monitor/mixer. The table style on is probably better for most gigs. I don't have enough experience with the Roy yet to know for sure.

How did that last gig go? It looks like you play classical guitar. Do you do any vocals? I can picture an angled up stand working well for a gig where you want to fill a room with music but aren't worried about vocal clarity.
The gig went well, thanks. Just a small wine room, but it performed very well. I've got it dialed to a nice soft, warm sound for nylon (I play a Taylor 712 crossover). I actually bought it for larger gigs (weddings, corporate events) but it sounds so good, it's going to small gigs with me know.

I do a lot of fingerstyle (spanish/classical) with both Roy and my AER-60.

Your stands look great. I am actually leaning towards just a sturdy table that will fit the roy as I'm a bit "mechanically challenged".

I'll try the stand I have at the next gig, but I already feel it's only allows for a pretty aggressive angle while I'm only looking go get right up 3-4 feet and give it a slight angle to get over the crowd.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:51 AM

I feel like the angle on my Schertler S4 stand is a little too aggressive as well. I looked at small tables as well, but I drive a Mini Cooper and it is important to me that my stand fold as small as possible. My speaker stand with the K&M shelf packs up small, sets up fast, looks good, and is extremely strong. The only thing I wish is that it had maybe a slight angle up. I don't know for sure though.

I agree with you about the Roy sounding so good at low volumes that it is tempting to use it everywhere. My small system is an Elite Acoustics D6-8. It sounds really good at low volumes, but there is something about the fullness of the low frequencies at low volumes with the Roy that makes me want to use it exclusively regardless of the room size.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification