The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-11-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyson View Post
Carr Amps. The "Sportsman" is amazing for what it can do.
Or, The Carr Mercury V/ 0 to 4 watts. 16 watts full power. Hand built in NC
Agreed - I love those Carrs, esp the Sportsman, and they aren't too bad, $$-wise, but I'd also need an attenuator for that one. The 1st gen Mercury was 8w total, which is good and makes "used" a bit cheaper today, but I'm nervous about the apparent relegation to 3 boost modes, and I crave front panel controls (which the Sportsman has).

Agree with Kevwind, as well, that's a great time to be alive and dipping a toe into this market. Unfortunately, it's like trying to drink from a firehose, not to mention the issue of how to deal with similar-knowledge/experience players taking diametrically opposite positions on the same amps, sounds, etc. (Can you tell I've spent too much time on the Gear Page?)
Old 12-11-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
...how to deal with similar-knowledge/experience players taking diametrically opposite positions...
Experienced players often have highly-individualized tastes, Chris, and what you're seeing is in no way a reflection on either their (our) technical or product knowledge; personally, other than the 200-watt Major I tried about 40 years ago I've yet to find the Marshall I could live with for any more than five minutes or so, full-size humbuckers tend to make my playing sound dull and heavy-handed, and until very recently my electrics have never been strung with anything lighter than 12's (usually flatwounds at that) - and yet if you ask for advice on an all-purpose "classic rock" setup the overwhelming response will likely be Les Paul/Plexi/.009 or .010-gauge strings. What you're getting is what works for our needs/tastes and, based on our necessarily limited knowledge of your abilities and requirements, we're trying to provide you with a highly-informed opinion (experience does count for something in this context) that will guide you in what we perceive to be the right direction both tonally and financially; that said, there is some gear that just represents such a high value-per-dollar, absolute level of quality. or both (the oft-mentioned Korean Gretsch Electromatic hollows/semis, Bugera V-Series amps, Godin KIngpin acoustic and electric archtops, Martin's 15-Series and Gibson's J-15 acoustics, just to name a few), such that when one of us makes a discovery we're more than happy to spread the word - I'll freely admit to starting the Bugera and Gretsch E-matic cults here a few years ago (never had anyone with similar musical styles/tastes tell me they were dissatisfied with either BTW), and there are more than a few people over on the General subforum that I can thank in turn for cluing me into the Gibson J-15 (never played one that I didn't like, and a few that I absolutely loved)...

My suggestion is that, like any other relatively unfamiliar experience, you realize that it's going to be a bit of a rabbit hole until you can make sense of all the information - prioritize your needs/preferences, and use the diversity of opinions to make an informed decision within your budgetary and musical requirements; I'm certain you recognize that none of us here would try to steer you wrong, wish you all the best in your search, and look forward to your feedback (pun intended ) when you settle on a final choice...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 12-11-2018 at 04:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-11-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Experienced players often have highly-individualized tastes, Chris, and what you're seeing is in no way a reflection on either their (our) technical or product knowledge; personally, other than the 200-watt Major I tried about 40 years ago I've yet to find the Marshall I could live with for any more than five minutes or so, full-size humbuckers tend to make my playing sound dull and heavy-handed, and until very recently my electrics have never been strung with anything lighter than 12's (usually flatwounds at that) - and yet if you ask for advice on an all-purpose "classic rock" setup the overwhelming response will likely be Les Paul/Plexi/.009 or .010-gauge strings. What you're getting is what works for our needs/tastes and, based on our necessarily limited knowledge of your abilities and requirements, we're trying to provide you with a highly-informed opinion (experience does count for something in this context) that will guide you in what we perceive to be the right direction both tonally and financially; that said, there is some gear that just represents such a high value-per-dollar, absolute level of quality. or both (the oft-mentioned Korean Gretsch Electromatic hollows/semis, Bugera V-Series amps, Godin KIngpin acoustic and electric archtops, Martin's 15-Series and Gibson's J-15 acoustics, just to name a few), such that when one of us makes a discovery we're more than happy to spread the sword - I'll freely admit to starting the Bugera and Gretsch E-matic cults here a few years ago (never had anyone with similar musical styles/tastes tell me they were dissatisfied with either BTW), and there are more than a few people over on the General subforum that I can thank in turn for cluing me into the Gibson J-15 (never played one that I didn't like, and a few that I absolutely loved)...

My suggestion is that, like any other relatively unfamiliar experience, you realize that it's going to be a bit of a rabbit hole until you can make sense of all the information - prioritize your needs/preferences, and use the diversity of opinions to make an informed decision within your budgetary and musical requirements; I'm certain you recognize that none of us here would try to steer you wrong, wish you all the best in your search, and look forward to your feedback (pun intended ) when you settle on a final choice...
I agree with all you said. I'm not expressing concern about anything you or anyone said, just that there are an overwhelming number of variables to consider, resulting in paralysis by analysis, for this newb. I learn more every time we go through this, and am going to keep my eyes open for a V5 deal between now and the end of the year, "just to try it" I really like the clean tone this guy gets at 4:34.

Based on what you've said, and what I've read about the stock setup not being particularly LP (HB) friendly because it's overly dark (every vid seems to have the tone dimed!), I'd have to commit to your upgrades, as well.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:59 PM

I’ll go +2 on the Bugera....both the V22 and V5. Like Steve, I also have (thanks to his suggestion) a Godin Kingpin II along with a Gibson LP and a home built strat. All these sound fantastic thru these amps. The Bugera is THE best bang for the buck tube amp value out there. I have yet to have anyone play/hear it and not remark how good it sounds. And I have yet to upgrade the tubes on the V22!

As mentioned, the early blue light models were not good, but those problems were all fixed. Bugera’s still get a bad rap, but if you want a quality amp for not much $$, give them a look.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawsoniii View Post
I’ll go +2 on the Bugera....both the V22 and V5. Like Steve, I also have (thanks to his suggestion) a Godin Kingpin II along with a Gibson LP and a home built strat. All these sound fantastic thru these amps. The Bugera is THE best bang for the buck tube amp value out there. I have yet to have anyone play/hear it and not remark how good it sounds. And I have yet to upgrade the tubes on the V22!

As mentioned, the early blue light models were not good, but those problems were all fixed. Bugera’s still get a bad rap, but if you want a quality amp for not much $$, give them a look.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I just noticed that player's got the tone dimed on the strat! I'd get a new one in case of a problem, so no early blue lights for me.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:14 PM

Mesa TransAtlantic TA-30. Vox AC30-type circuit on one channel and Fender/Marshall/Mesa on the other, footswitchable. Made in California. Can be bought used for a grand, is totally reliable, and will hold its value as the Asian stuff falls apart right before the most important gig of your life. It’s not a matter of if, but when. End of sermon.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

I would agree there is no one amp that does it all but there are some that can both do clean and crunch well.

About 3 months ago I was looking for a tube amp sound for a home studio. I was going to pick up a fender modeling amp when I saw a Bogner Alchemist tube amp in my local Craig’s list. I instantly new I was talking it home. They can be found for around $400-500 used. And it is one of the most versatile amps I have had. Being able to switch between 40 and 20 Watts is a nice option.

Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 12-11-2018, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

My son got one of these a month ago:
http://www.koch-amps.com/guitar-combo-jupiter.html

Koch Jupiter Hybrid Combo Features:
Unique 45Watts amp design with ATR©Technology and dimmer control for tube saturated tube tone at any volume
2 x 12AX7 in pre-amp and poweramp
Three foot-switchable channels:
Clean, Overdrive and High-gain Overdrive
Two sets of independant gain and volume controls
Three band EQ with contour switch
4, 8, and 16 Ohm speaker outputs
Custom designed VG12-60 Koch 12” speaker
Buffered effects loop
Speaker emulated output with passive filter
Spring type reverb with front mounted control
Two button footswitch (included) with:
- Channel select
- Gain Boost or Reverb on/off
(Selectable on back panel)
Combo Dimensions 54(w) x 46(h) x 26(d) cm
Weight 19.1 kg

It’s a very versatile hybrid amp with a tube component. I think it was about $700.00.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 12-12-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MacNeill View Post
Mesa TransAtlantic TA-30. Vox AC30-type circuit on one channel and Fender/Marshall/Mesa on the other, footswitchable. Made in California. Can be bought used for a grand, is totally reliable, and will hold its value as the Asian stuff falls apart right before the most important gig of your life. It’s not a matter of if, but when. End of sermon.
I like that strategy, covers both pickups/requirements. Would need an attenuator, but an excellent candidate.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:17 AM

Lots of great versatility suggestions and I'm checking out all of them (and learning lots of folks have lots of weird problems with tube amps!). I do want to stay around 5w (preferably with a limiter), which is limiting, I know.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I like that strategy, covers both pickups/requirements. Would need an attenuator, but an excellent candidate.
No attenuator required. The Mesa TA-30 has three power modes: 15w, 30w, and 40w.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MacNeill View Post
No attenuator required. The Mesa TA-30 has three power modes: 15w, 30w, and 40w.
That, I saw, but 15w in a tube amp is Too Much for my limited bedroom needs. Several of the 5w offerings have built-in attenuators that take them down to below 1w.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:18 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Another reasonable option is the Mesa Engineering Express 5:25. This little EL84-based amp has two modes: 5 watt single-ended Class A triode and 25 watt push-pull. There are two foot-switchable channels that each offer a selection of two voices: Clean and crunch on channel 1 and blues and burn on channel 2. The secret here is that the amp's clean sounds in channel 1 run in the range of Fender and the drive sounds in channel 2 favor the Marshall end of things. They are no longer built but are a recent model so NOS and mint examples are available on Reverb. More in my review, HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-12-2018, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to Steve and others info, I got a Bugera V5 Infinium, and agree that it’s a super value for the price. All my guitars sound great through it, and I also bought the Bugera 112TS 80-watt 1x12" Extension Cabinet, too. My other amp is a 68 Custom Princeton Reverb.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 12-12-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Another reasonable option is the Mesa Engineering Express 5:25. This little EL84-based amp has two modes: 5 watt single-ended Class A triode and 25 watt push-pull. There are two foot-switchable channels that each offer a selection of two voices: Clean and crunch on channel 1 and blues and burn on channel 2. The secret here is that the amp's clean sounds in channel 1 run in the range of Fender and the drive sounds in channel 2 favor the Marshall end of things. They are no longer built but are a recent model so NOS and mint examples are available on Reverb. More in my review, HERE.

Bob
Another great option, and review. I noticed some of the ones on reverb have little equalizers on the panel where yours says "Express," while others do not. One seller said: "There is some background noise which is common with this model amp." Is that your understanding of these amps? One seller is interested in trading for a Princeton Reverb! I wonder why that would be, given the more limited range (without pedals) of the PR?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars