The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-08-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post

I think I'm going to go take a nap.
Live on the edge Unc!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-08-2019, 06:57 PM
Guest 928

The edge of my bed?
Old 01-08-2019, 09:01 PM

It could done as a website online - lots of self-assembly options out there, wix for example. There would still be a lot of work research and assembly but no need for publishing and print costs, etc. No profits to be made of course but relatively no costs, either, if you don't count time.

If someone was so inclined...
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 01-08-2019, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Just a passing interest here, but why not open an item on Wikipedia and post “peer reviewed” articles w photos there as they’re produced by those committed to the project? The items and info could be funneled through 1 or more project advisor/moderators.

A physical, glossy coffee table book? That sounds so....20th century. (JK... )
Old 01-09-2019, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
As the price of digital cameras came down, every amateur that could afford a couple grand for a camera and some lenses was now "a professional photographer." Fortunately for us, we had sold the business prior to that.
I might have had something to do with that... in the late 90s / early 2000s, I sold a few thousand courses on the subject of starting a people and pet photo business from home ~ charging high up front fees ~ and being "open" only when you want.

Used to get some nasty letters from "old pros" with high overhead and atiquated business models. Kinda fun... wish I had kept some of the best rants. Glad you sold out!
I would love to see the composite history project happen, however, doing it as a book is fitting an ongoing story into a format with a fixed beginning and end. And the economics stink. There are better options and ones that would allow ongoing expansion of the idea and profitability on the back end.
That said, print run books can be done with sponsors paying the upfront costs. I have done that.

Or you can use print on demand services like Create Space or Ingram. Aside from a computer and software, your only costs would be an ISBN number. And the world would be your market. I have a book that is live now and sells mostly in England. That would be impractical if I had to print and ship from the U.S.

In any case, making something can be cheap and easy. The key to success ~ and often the cost ~ is in the marketing and promotion.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:15 AM
Guest 928

"The key to success...is the marketing and promotion." Indeed. My most successful book was published by the 6th biggest publisher in the world. In the early negotiations I found the split was 15/85, with me getting 15% of the profit. I had a little hissy fit and the editor asked me if I wanted marketing and promotion or not? I took the marketing and promotion.

It's a different world now with radically different options for production and attention. Ten years ago I published Vanishing Village through a small publication outlet and now I am pushing a sequel in a totally different publication world. Lots of learning curve here.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber