The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-01-2019, 06:22 PM

I like the tone of all the CA guitars I've owned (Pre-Peavey Cargo, Legacy Gloss, OX gloss, and GX raw, and another post Peavey Cargo). I found them not quite as loud as I wanted and they all slid down my leg. I should have returned the pre-Peavey OX as it had the neck angle and relief problem that left the action fairly high with no more saddle to shave. The rest of the pre-Peavey CAs had no neck problems. I also think CA has the nicest looking body shapes and headstock.

I returned a Journey OF660 for multiple tone, play-ability, and cosmetic reasons.

I've owned the original Emerald X7 center sound hole and the original X7-OS. Both sounded fine plugged-in but did not have enough bass response for me to end up keeping. I don't recall any cosmetic issues. I returned an X5 because the tone was so marginal.

I also returned a RainSong Shorty for too many loose fibers along the back center seam. I've owned a CO-DR, H-DR, S-OM, and a CH-WS. I've decided the Parlor size is my favorite and currently have a CH-PA and a CO-PA. The CO Parlor is quite a bit lighter than the CH, but seems to sound similar overall (I've yet to string both with the same strings for a fair comparison). All the RainSongs seem loud enough to compete with the best of wood. The CO-DR was much brighter than a wood dreadnought and the H-DR was much closer in tone to a Martin dread. With my RainSong experience, I think the 12 fret necks and the relocated bridge bring out their best tone. Looking with an inspection mirror, it does not appear that RainSong moves the bridge-plate-like part of the top when they move the bridge for the shorter neck. After that I like the Hybrids the best for a 14 fret option. Looks wise the WS does not work for me.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 01-02-2019 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:39 PM

Our list is:
- Raingsong WS-1000, 2001
- Rainsong PMJ-1000, 2005 (?)
- CA Cargo, 2014
- Blackbird Lucky 13, late 2016
- Emerald custom X20-12, 2017
- Emerald X20, 2016 bought used from AGF member last year
- Emerald X7 Woody, early 2018 (old version)
- Emerald X30, DEC 2018

So far, none of them have left. The PMJ-1000 is on extended loan to a friend in Tucson, so she doesn't have to fight humidity battles in the desert.

The X20 is just about perfect for me ergonomically and also has a lovely tone, so the others get relatively little play time. X30 was an experiment after playing Kramster's, so the jury is still out. It sounds wonderful, but is just enough bigger to change my hand positions slightly. The wood guitars get almost no play time these days. Laziness is the main reason that most of them are not already gone - selling can be such a PITA. If there were still a local store that did consignments, several wood guitars and maybe one CF would be sitting there right now. Names have been changed to protect the innocent.... (not telling who will be sold).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
.....but it would be a month or more before I could even think of it, looks like a knee replacement in a couple weeks.
Best thing I ever did (left JUL 2016, right SEP 2016)!! The first two weeks will be unpleasant, but be diligent about both the pre-hab and rehab exercises. I firmly believe that without these knee replacements, I would be in a wheelchair by now. Instead, I do four hour long tai-chi classes per week and also climb 32 floor on the Stairmaster almost daily, plus walking around the neighborhood and local parks. And riding our recumbent trikes when weather permits. Prior to the surgeries, I could walk maybe a half mile, but it was intolerable to stand for more than five minutes. Best of luck!
Old 01-01-2019, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Early in 2018, I didn’t know carbon fiber acoustic guitars existed. I had a Martin 000-15M I loved and a couple of different small cheap guitars (as well as three electrics). I tried to keep my guitar room humidified and resorted to cases and humidipaks when necessary. I heard about CF, did some research, decided to try an X20 and now, not many months later, I also have a new X7 and no wooden acoustics.

I can’t say I like the sound of the CF models more than wood, but I like them as much, and I like them more consistently. They sound like acoustic guitars are supposed to sound, one that sounds a lot like a dread, one more like a 00 or 000. The playability is more consistently excellent than the wood guitars I’ve owned. And the lack of worrying about / dealing with humidity, puts the whole experience completely over the top for me.

My playing and ability to make music isn’t compromised in any way by carbon fiber and my guitars are always out, ready to play, and either perfectly in tune or close enough to get them there in a few seconds. I LOVED wooden acoustics, but I’m never going back...

-Ray
Old 01-01-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
The Shorty I had was one with that scratchy sounding top... bothered me for whatever reason...swapped it for the old school center hole green X-30.

Really like all the other RainSong finishes. ...the one in the video was a road tripper

Ahh. Thanks Kramster- I always wondered.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Not meaning to take this thread off topic, but I will. Just a little. If I may ask Methos, what is your take on the older X7 vs the newer X7 ? Thanks !
Night and day difference. The body of the old X7 was much smaller and it was definitely a great little travel guitar that could certainly be used live if needed (in fact, I did use it live once). But the new X7 has a much larger body yet still small. It's like a small X20. I did have a longer scale than the normal 24.0". I ordered mine at 24.6" to match the 24.6" I have in the my X20 custom.

I bought my first X7 on a whim to tie me over until my custom X20 arrived as it was delayed. If I liked it enough I planned to keep both. But I knew almost immediately that I wouldn't keep it once I got it. Then after getting my X20 I said to myself if they ever came out with something larger than the (old) X7 but smaller than the X20 I might get one of those to have something smaller for travel but that could still be used live.

It was a toss up between the X10 and the X7 but I rolled the dice and went with the X7 and I'm so glad I did. Of course now I'm thinking of maybe one more custom build in a nylon guitar this time in either another X7 or maybe an X10. Hmm...
Old 01-01-2019, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post

I have a wood guitar right now that sounds better than any CF guitar I've owned or played.
!
I also feel I would not ever be without at least one solid wood guitar but I also don’t think I would be without at least one composite guitar. Whether it be camping trips, overnight or day adventures were a guitar will sit in a car, or a day in the park, composite guitars are worry free. And though they don’t sound like wood they do have great playability and sound uniquely good. I also appreciate that there are a variety of makers and models with a wide range of sound.

I do look forward to seeing were and how and the composite guitar industry improves.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-01-2019, 09:34 PM

I think that the cf guitar who managed to come closer to the sound of a quality wooden guitar, in my humble opinion, is the Rainsong H-DR1100N2.
I have always been a fan of the Martin D18, played many, never owned one, but I can say thay I know its sound very well, and my Rainsong H-DR1100 N2 sounds SO similar.. that I dare to say it would do very well in a blind test comparison 😊😊😊
Old 01-01-2019, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

I have appreciated the tone of each of the CF guitars I've owned (4 to this point). Just like wood guitars, smaller versions tend to sound like a smaller instrument, and likewise with the bigger models.

I still have some wood guitars. I enjoy them when I get them out of their cases (not often these days). But just like Taylor has "a sound," Martin has "a sound," and with each of the better wood guitars, you kinda know what to expect. I feel the same about CF guitars: I have played enough that I know what I expect from each manufacturer... and they all have their followers.

One thing that has been eye-opening for me: the comfort level. CF makers can choose to round edges or make compound curves with arm-bevels and cutaways. While I appreciate the sound of a nice carbon fiber, I think they are way ahead of wood guitars in the ergonomics. It was the Emerald X7 (previous version) that did it for me... and it is still the most comfortable acoustic guitar I've owned.

Bottom line for me: I don't see me buying any more wood acoustic guitars in the future. I have learned to never say never, though.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Night and day difference. The body of the old X7 was much smaller and it was definitely a great little travel guitar that could certainly be used live if needed (in fact, I did use it live once). But the new X7 has a much larger body yet still small. It's like a small X20. I did have a longer scale than the normal 24.0". I ordered mine at 24.6" to match the 24.6" I have in the my X20 custom.

I bought my first X7 on a whim to tie me over until my custom X20 arrived as it was delayed. If I liked it enough I planned to keep both. But I knew almost immediately that I wouldn't keep it once I got it. Then after getting my X20 I said to myself if they ever came out with something larger than the (old) X7 but smaller than the X20 I might get one of those to have something smaller for travel but that could still be used live.

It was a toss up between the X10 and the X7 but I rolled the dice and went with the X7 and I'm so glad I did. Of course now I'm thinking of maybe one more custom build in a nylon guitar this time in either another X7 or maybe an X10. Hmm...
I've been wondering about the difference between the old and new X7s. I have one of the original X7-OS, and one of the things that really attracted me to it was just how small it is. And while I'm sure I would appreciate the improved tone of the new X7, it does seem as if the convenient "travel guitar" aspect has been lost in favor of a parlor size with a more full sound.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
The Shorty I had was one with that scratchy sounding top... bothered me for whatever reason...swapped it for the old school center hole green X-30.

Really like all the other RainSong finishes. ...the one in the video was a road tripper
Well, you sure have a lot of love for my Shorty!!! She is a sweet playing guitar!!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-03-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
Well, you sure have a lot of love for my Shorty!!! She is a sweet playing guitar!!

There is that
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-03-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Bottom line for me: I don't see me buying any more wood acoustic guitars in the future. I have learned to never say never, though.
For me personally i'm totally converted now. I'll never buy a wood acoustic guitar anymore. Just not worth the risk and hassle while living in a harsh climate. I was one of the carbon fiber naysayers years ago. Emerald has converted me!
Old 01-03-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Are there any wood guitar makers who come close to the great tone of carbon fiber? Asking for a friend.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
I've been wondering about the difference between the old and new X7s. I have one of the original X7-OS, and one of the things that really attracted me to it was just how small it is. And while I'm sure I would appreciate the improved tone of the new X7, it does seem as if the convenient "travel guitar" aspect has been lost in favor of a parlor size with a more full sound.
I disagree. the overall length is nearly the same. In fact, it's the same gig bag. The body is a little bigger - mostly deeper - but assuming you order the stock neck length (24.0" - same as the original X7) then the new model is still a pretty good travel guitar.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Are there any wood guitar makers who come close to the great tone of carbon fiber? Asking for a friend.
Never heard of any. I hear they're trying though. Maybe Martin will succeed. I played a Martin once that sounded like my X30

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber