The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-13-2018, 01:21 PM

Default Is Gypsy guitar an 'Other Stringed Instrument'?

It's far enough away in sound from a flattop or archtop as a flattop or archtop is from a mandolin or banjo. I bought one on the net, and thought that I had majorly struck out; having tuned up, the bass notes were nonexistant. So, viewing the bridge's foot contact to the guitar top, against a backlight, there was uneven gapping, the most criminal (no mere overstatement as this is a musical instrument) being on the bass side. This Maccaferri is now capable of assaulting most polite sensibilities, after the taping of some sandpaper to the top where the feet sit, and running the bridge back and forth till flush. What I find appealing about the high volume of this style guitar is that when played softly, the notes are crystal clear.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
It's far enough away in sound from a flattop or archtop as a flattop or archtop is from a mandolin or banjo. I bought one on the net, and thought that I had majorly struck out; having tuned up, the bass notes were nonexistant. So, viewing the bridge's foot contact to the guitar top, against a backlight, there was uneven gapping, the most criminal (no mere overstatement as this is a musical instrument) being on the bass side. This Maccaferri is now capable of assaulting most polite sensibilities, after the taping of some sandpaper to the top where the feet sit, and running the bridge back and forth till flush. What I find appealing about the high volume of this style guitar is that when played softly, the notes are crystal clear.
And if you hollow out the bridge and it's on just two feet it will sound even better!
Nick
Old 12-13-2018, 01:36 PM

Yes, that's the current setup. It did sound as if I had sanded the bridge down to its belly. Also, the even slighter contact of an archtop's saddle to its bridge, working as well as it does, makes little sense to me, but there it is.

Last edited by Bax Burgess; 12-13-2018 at 01:42 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments