The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-24-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
You need a tweed Twin...
Who doesn't I've actually thought about building a low power twin!
Old 03-24-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ah yes for tone and the bonus of a loose color coordination

And BTW rockabilly, speaking of looks what a killer look, if it plays anywhere near as good as it looks, it will be a dynamite guitar congrats
I hope so Kev!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Not only is it the quintessential rockabilly guitar, it's got those country and western appointments which I love.

Some real eye candy right there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
If I didn't already own a semi and a Telecaster to look after my rockabilly/country/Americana/other needs then a burnt orange Gretsch 6120 like yours (with branding on top if possible) is what I'd want.

Stunningly beautiful guitar even to look at!
I've always loved the look of Gretsches, my favorite is the inlays, one thing I don't like is gold plating so I may change out the bridge and knobs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
Nice. The flame maple top looks great!
i think I got lucky there
Old 03-24-2019, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Cool An Actual Button...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Thank you very much! One thing though, 1955 6120Ts (or any 50's 6120s) didn't have a tuner button, maybe you where playing a later 60's variant (the tuning fork bridge was cool, but it wasn't a button), as the 55's were very simple electronics wise...

Master volume, master tone, neck volume, bridge volume, 3 way pickup switch, is all they had on the tops.

Here's some references to show what I mean...

https://www.garysguitars.com/catalog/1955-gretsch-6120

http://www.6120freak.com/1955.html

http://gretschpages.com/guitars/models/examples/4470/
No, I didn't mean some sort of electronic thingamabob... it was an actual button that looked like the pickup selector switches; you pushed it down and popped off it and it sounded a tuning fork, A440...

Perhaps "button" is the misleading nomenclature! Everything was analog, back in those days...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 03-24-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
No, I didn't mean some sort of electronic thingamabob... it was an actual button that looked like the pickup selector switches; you pushed it down and popped off it and it sounded a tuning fork, A440...

Perhaps "button" is the misleading nomenclature! Everything was analog, back in those days...
I've played a ton of original 6120s and have never seen that button. And, I just spent hours googling try to find a pic or description of it.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I've played a ton of original 6120s and have never seen that button. And, I just spent hours googling try to find a pic or description of it.
Well, as I recall (this was decades ago, early 70's when I saw that guitar, but it was already old...), it was a brownish-burnt orange color, not that bright orange that so many Gretsches have... it was definitely a higher-end model, had the "G Branding Iron logo on the top lower bout, and the plunger/button for the pitch fork was opposite the brand...

Now, I know that I was a full participant in the 60's and 70's, but I am CERTAIN that I saw this feature on a friend's Gretsch... no mistake.

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 03-25-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Well, as I recall (this was decades ago, early 70's when I saw that guitar, but it was already old...), it was a brownish-burnt orange color, not that bright orange that so many Gretsches have... it was definitely a higher-end model, had the "G Branding Iron logo on the top lower bout, and the plunger/button for the pitch fork was opposite the brand...

Now, I know that I was a full participant in the 60's and 70's, but I am CERTAIN that I saw this feature on a friend's Gretsch... no mistake.
well they did all sorts of crazy stuff in the 60's and 70's!!!
Old 03-25-2019, 06:27 PM

Well the guitar got here today and after a few hours of setup time it's spectacular!!! I didn't buy the guitar for the aesthetics, as matter of fact, it's a little over the top for me. But when I opened the case it looked very nice. It had roundwound strings on it, which I changed to flatwounds (Thomastik JS112 .012 thru .050). And with the new strings the guitar came to life with a tone that is just fantastic, especially the neck pickup which to me is always the hardest pickup to get right! I also oiled up the fretboard and bridge base, tightened the bigsby handle and two knobs, polished the frets, set the intonation, and polished the whole guitar looking it over carefully for any damage. There was only some small impressions on it. I will probably put more marks on this guitar in the first week I will play it! So here it is.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:09 PM

Somewhat older thread, but are you still liking the 6120? I've been debating between the 55 like yours and the 59, which has the Tv jones classics. Yours has the medium jumbo frets and the vintage select 59 has the small frets, and not sure I'd like that.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:59 PM

I've grown to love this guitar, and I also have a Players Edition Anniversary with Gretsch high sensitivity Filtertrons. I like them both, but I prefer the TV Jones T-Armond pickups in the G6120T '55 VS. I like the fret size just fine, but I would get along just fine with smaller fret wire too. For higher gain stuff I go with the Anniversary because the ML bracing is amazing at keeping the high volume feedback in check. But for everything else the 6120 rules. I love the way the 6120 sounds slightly dirty and the way it blends with my acoustics. Listen to the fills in this song, especially the chord sounds near the end, it's the 6120. And you, I like the lacquer finish on the 6120T

Last edited by rockabilly69; 06-21-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:49 PM

Great sound. Have to admit the 6120 55 has a certain, wonderful sound. Nice track too. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
Great sound. Have to admit the 6120 55 has a certain, wonderful sound. Nice track too. Thanks for sharing that.
Thanks DD, when I started chasing Gretsches, I never realized I would end up with a DeArmond model, but actually, that was the sound in my head that I was chasing. I even put a set of pickups based on vintage DeArmonds in one of my favorite solid body guitars and it sounds great. And to tell you the truth, it sounded great before the DeArmonds with one of the best sounding sets of PAF pickups that I've ever heard (Tyson Tone Lab Precious and Grace). But soon as it got the DeArmonds, it just turned into the best guitar ever. All the fills here on these songs are with this guitar.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Those are some seriously nice guitars!
Old 06-21-2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Those are some seriously nice guitars!
Thanks BoneDigger! I really like them!
Old 06-23-2020, 04:57 AM

Ha these pictures and this great playing and sound is making my decision difficult between the 6120 59 with the classics vs the 55. However it is nice to have a decision where you win either way.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:22 AM

You still need one of these :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars