The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-15-2010, 09:36 PM

Default Question on recording youtube videos

Ok, I've viewed all the cover song videos on youtube.

This kid is really good....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U18Or...eature=related

Do they record these videos live for youtube or do they record the vocals and instruments separate and then mix together using software. Then follow up with a video for youtube using playback?

They just seem too good to be completely recorded live especially with multiple singers and instruments.

I'd love to know how he makes his youtube videos sound so "professional grade"

Thanks for any advice or comments
Old 12-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

It's hard to know, but I don't hear anything here to suggest it's not live. The guitar's recorded with a pickup, and he's got a vocal mic. He's probably recording thru a mixer to a recorder. The mix may be pre-set, he just got it right and records that way, or he might be recording to separate tracks and mixing and adding reverb, etc, later. What most people who get a decent sound quality on you tube do is record the sound to some kind of audio recorder and sync the video and audio when they edit. Just clap at the beginning and sync up the clap points.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:45 AM

Didn't watch the whole thing, but it sounds like he's live. He is absolutely going to a mixer before it hits the computer. The audio may or may not be going directly to the software associated with the video recording, but I suspect not. I've done it both ways and I find I get better results sending the audio to a recording software program, such as Audacity, and synching with the video later.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:10 AM

I'm a YouTube fan and he is one of my favorite performers as well as one of the best productions. I would love to have a product like that someday. Maybe be 25 years younger too!!!

His Mom plays keys in some of his videos and some of the room shots show a lot of instruments and studio-like room treatments. This kid obviously knows what he's doing.

Watch this video and it's obvious he is doin tracks. Probably the same with his solo stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0R_V...eature=channel

Here's one with the whole family. They also have some great videoing and video editing skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzWvD...eature=channel

Last edited by BoB/335; 12-16-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:12 AM

In the three videos posted in this thread, the audio is definitely recorded separate from the video. The first one may have been recorded simultaneously, but there's no way you're going to get that kind of sound from a video camera.

The other two are over-the-top productions, so it's obvious.

When you are as fortunate as they are, i.e. to have the resources to have the things they have and the talent, you can do anything. Having said that, though, even on a budget, you can record some quality audio, take some video, and edit it all together.

The video effects can be achieved in a modestly priced video editor and it doesn't take thousands of dollars to buy decent audio equipment to produce comparable sound.

What they may have, that you can't buy, is some talented guy putting it all together. For all we know, the dad is a production professional, of some type, and he's the one the makes the videos as good as they are. Meaning, the kids can sing and play, but they don't know jack about recording.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 12-16-2010, 10:38 AM

Thanks all for the input, one other question then since I'm a total newbie...

If guitar is plugged into the mixer and the is singing at the same time, how do you keep the vocal mic from picking up the guitar sounds as he plays?

From what I understand, Tyler is the production talent as well as a singer.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch182 View Post

If guitar is plugged into the mixer and the is singing at the same time, how do you keep the vocal mic from picking up the guitar sounds as he plays?
It does bleed, but not significantly so. Try making a test recording with everything balanced. Then make the same recording with the guitar channel muted. You'll see how much bleed there is.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD