The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-30-2010, 06:42 PM

I would have got this picture up sooner but I've spent a while today cleaning up and sharpening tools. I then managed to knock over my waterstone container and made a nasty mess all over the floor

Anyways, I finished bracing the back. I used HHG and it worked pretty well. After a lot of messing around with the mixture I got a strong glue which had a decent amount of open time to work with.

I carved the bracing following the back braces on my Stonebridge guitar. All I can say is having good chisels really makes a difference. I carved them with some new Japanese chisels I picked up right out the box and they did a wonderful job. I then sharpened them each for about 5 minutes on the waterstones and they are gleaming. I used to spent about 20 minutes each on my 2 main chisels and they still stayed cloudy looking. The difference between inferior steel and good steel is light and day.

I was going to get the full set of 10 chisels but to be honest I use a 1" and 3/4" chisel for nearly everything, so I really wouldn't need the full set.

Anyway, here's a quick picture. The shiny spots is just HHG which I am in the process of scraping off.

Carved back:

Tomorrow I hope to get the sides to their final thickness. I used the Safe-T-Planer to get them in the ball park and the final amount will be done with a cabinet scraper. I will be aiming for around 2mm or so.

I won't be able to bend anything tomorrow as I need to make a new mould. To save time I will just be making my parlour or 000 mould a little bigger with the router, but I won't have as much time to do everything as I would like tomorrow.

Watch this space.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:52 PM

Looking good!!!
I think you should save the parlor mold though. Don't you think you'll want it in the future? Why not just start fresh?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:29 PM

The cost of making a mould isn't too much, but it's the time and hassle to make one to be honest. I plan on making 2 or 3 guitars of this size in a row just out of different woods (in fact my next one is already planned). The reason why I plan to make the same size is to keep everything simple and not change too many variables. Hopefully by the time the 3rd one is finished I will have gained enough knowledge to start playing around with different models.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:04 PM

I adapted the mould today (half a month since I intended to do so!). I have put a few coats of varnish on it and will hopefully be bending the sides tomorrow afternoon. I have the sides at about 2mm, I hope they will be quite easy to bend.

I will get pictures of the completed sides, or the splinters of wood if it doesn't work.

EDIT: rather than make a new post I will just add what I did today.

Bent one of the sides. may have been a little thicker than I wanted but with a little determination I got it bent. I have it in the mould and will keep it clamped in there overnight. It may need a few tweaks here and there but I would like to get it set in place for now. The upper bout was a pain the backside to bend, the waist and lower bout was easy though. That may be due to not bending anything for a few months. Hopefully side two will go much smoother.

Last edited by Coke_zero; 06-12-2010 at 11:11 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair