The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-24-2020, 02:02 PM

Default Happy Birthday Scott Joplin!

Old 11-24-2020, 02:15 PM
Guest 33123

I'll be playing Original Rags, The Entertainer and Maple Leaf Rag in his honor!
Old 11-25-2020, 11:16 AM
Musical minimalist

Back in the day, I burned the grooves out of the Rifkin LP - just some incredibly uplifting music!

Old 11-25-2020, 01:05 PM

"The Entertainer" and "Maple Leaf Rag" are in my regular repertoire and I should revisit them today. I also played "The Easy Winners" for a long time but it fell out of the rotation the last time I was forced to stop playing after shoulder surgery. As a more complex piece / key it took more maintenance effort and muscle memory disappeared from my fingers rather quickly. There are also several other rags that I want to add to the list. So many tunes, so little time.....

Trivia question: What is the most purchased piece of sheet music in history?
Old 11-25-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
That’s my favorite Van Ronk album. I took lessons with him back in the 80s.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Trivia question: What is the most purchased piece of sheet music in history?
FREEBIRD!!!
Old 11-26-2020, 01:41 PM

Nope. It is Maple Leaf Rag. This was a huge popular hit from back in the day before recordings. People would hear a song and then buy the sheet music to play at home - the only way you could hear it outside of an actual concert. Almost every home had a piano in the parlor. It was the perfect storm for sheet music sales.

I've never seen sheet music for Freebird, even in fake books and 70's collections. Because it is so requested, I actually worked up a fingerstyle acoustic version -- assuming the tip jar gets properly fed.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Nope. It is Maple Leaf Rag. This was a huge popular hit from back in the day before recordings. People would hear a song and then buy the sheet music to play at home - the only way you could hear it outside of an actual concert. Almost every home had a piano in the parlor. It was the perfect storm for sheet music sales.

I've never seen sheet music for Freebird, even in fake books and 70's collections. Because it is so requested, I actually worked up a fingerstyle acoustic version -- assuming the tip jar gets properly fed.
Aw, I was just funnin' you, Earl!

I still have the sheet music for Maple Leaf Rag that I bought around 1976. It turned out to be a simplified version for piano, so I basically just put it away and have been carrying it around since then.
Quote:
"The Entertainer" and "Maple Leaf Rag" are in my regular repertoire and I should revisit them today.
I'd love to hear it, if you ever have anything like that online! I got into ragtime guitar about 20 years ago and have added some of its elements to my playing. But I've never worked out an entire composition, and I admire those who are able to do that. I remember that some arrangements I looked at were way too hard back then; maybe I should give it another shot.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:28 AM

Scott Joplin: A real rags to riches story.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic