The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-05-2012, 04:27 AM

Wonder why we cant edit titles?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 11-05-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:58 AM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Wonder why we cant edit titles?
Because you're not a moderator.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 11-05-2012, 08:21 AM

But I wrote it? not that it's a big deal but other forums I am with let me edit my titles if I need to. Usually it is my spelling. Case in point I started a thread in the Electrify section and my title really is poor, would change it but too late.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 11-05-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Just to add to a point made earlier - no, it is not like I prefer cranked engines to starters. More like a Formica table can be easier to maintain, clean, more "dependable", etc.... but I'll still get a wood table for a lot of reasons - feel, look, aesthetics, etc. I don't need my guitar to look like it belongs on top of a 1960's lunch counter or the side of a Lear jet.

Over the top, but come on... ruin me for wood? That's pretty much over the top at the outset.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 11-22-2012, 03:28 AM

Not over the top at all really because for some people it is true. The experience of a carbon fiber guitar for them was superior to a wood one therefore, wood becomes a less desirable option. Certainly that is not everyone and it is I am sure a small minority of guitar players but the option is a valid one certainly not over the top and certainly not without logic. That is not to say that the majority will always prefer wood, that is fine, there are aesthetics to wood that are wonderful. But there seems to be a current with many wood players that only wood can make a superior guitar that would be the ultimate quest of a player. Just not true for some of us.

I guess I could go back to your Lear Jet analogy, no doubt there are many that prefer the wooden airplane. But I would not rule out the guys that like the Lear. There are some nice aesthetics there as well and some logic for its being kind of a cool and desirable form of transportation.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 11-22-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthurman View Post
Over the top, but come on... ruin me for wood? That's pretty much over the top at the outset.
I don't think it's over the top at all. We're obviously a small minority, but carbon fiber has absolutely ruined me for wood. I'll never buy another wood guitar. I realize that there aren't a lot of people who feel this way.

There are many people who have tried various CF guitars, and don't like them for whatever reason. For many, it's because of tone. For some, it's because of aesthetics, or just tradition. Those are all valid. To completely dismiss carbon fiber guitars without ever having tried them is a little silly, but I think the number of people who have never tried one is shrinking.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 01-20-2013, 10:29 PM

Definitely. I live ten miles from the Atlantic Ocean in a place that gets mid-90's for months at a time, and high humidity all the time. Wood guitars are beautiful, but I have no wish to own a guitar that has to spend most of it's life inside the case, to protect it from temperature and humidity. My Rainsongs don't even notice such things, and I can hang them on the wall in my living room without fear of destruction.

Also, while carbon fiber isn't indestructible, it sure is resilient. I've owned mine for years, and they still look brand new. Well, except for the dust I see when I play with glasses on....which is never......lol.....

D.W.
Variax 700/podXt Live
Yamaha C40 Classical
(Chinese) Acrylic Strat
Old 01-20-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarget View Post

Also, while carbon fiber isn't indestructible, it sure is resilient. I've owned mine for years, and they still look brand new.

D.W.
Well if *that* is the criteria, then non-wood guitars win. So far, I'm not willing to give up the loss of tone for what non-wood has to offer. I hope the makers continue to hone the product.

Ed
Old 01-21-2013, 09:10 AM

I never seriously think of carbon fiber guitars in a "win" - "lose" competition with wood.

Some like the sound of wood--some believe it's the "only" sound and standard for what a guitar can or should sound like. Any variation from this standard that has been personally internalized from earlier life experience is difficult or impossible for some players to accept with any satisfaction.

For others, the ability to accept other standards of sound and quality is easier to do, and they find satisfaction more broadly. Some find that new standards for guitar materials and the sound they make even replace their old standard entirely.

Winning or losing isn't the issue for me. Satisfaction with all aspects of the instrument and the music that it produces is the central idea. Players will not agree on the specifics but it doesn't matter if the focus is on the joy of playing music. Lose that joy and neither wood nor CF will make a player happy or satisfied.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
I never seriously think of carbon fiber guitars in a "win" - "lose" competition with wood.

Some like the sound of wood--some believe it's the "only" sound and standard for what a guitar can or should sound like. Any variation from this standard that has been personally internalized from earlier life experience is difficult or impossible for some players to accept with any satisfaction.

For others, the ability to accept other standards of sound and quality is easier to do, and they find satisfaction more broadly. Some find that new standards for guitar materials and the sound they make even replace their old standard entirely.

Winning or losing isn't the issue for me. Satisfaction with all aspects of the instrument and the music that it produces is the central idea. Players will not agree on the specifics but it doesn't matter if the focus is on the joy of playing music. Lose that joy and neither wood nor CF will make a player happy or satisfied.
Well put ac.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 AM

I agree with ac as well. It's not a win or lose situation. I love the way my Rainsong sounds, plays, looks, etc as much as I love the way my wood guitars sound, play, look, etc. They are different. But I have to give an edge to the Rainsong, because of the fact that I can love it as much as my wood guitars without all of the (maybe unnecessary) concern related to high end wood guitars. That is the reason the Rainsong has stayed and gets played every week and my 810e, Martin Performer, and other really nice guitars have come and gone.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 01-22-2013, 03:54 PM

I have yet to own a carbon fiber guitar but am reading this thread because I am very interested and trying to learn about them. I am curious about them mostly for travel and I'm sure CF guitar technology and design will continue to get better.

I do enjoy my wood guitars. I also enjoy slide rules, typewriters, film cameras, and quality darkroom enlargers. I still have some of those items around but never use them anymore despite a longing for the joy they once provided.

I look forward to the adventure of selecting and playing a CF guitar.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:10 PM

I love my RainSong and prefer it for any recording over all other guitars. It does quite well also for amp work as well. For all other straight playing however, I prefer Mahogany first for sound, and tone, and the Rosewood second. Mahogany does quite well for recording as well, but Rosewood has too many overtones for recording in my view.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:07 PM

As a new owner of a Rainsong HWS1000N2 I could very easily see how I could be just fine not playing wood again. And I love my Taylor 814, but my Rainsong is simply amazing!

and way too many picks...
Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkedTaylor View Post
As a new owner of a Rainsong HWS1000N2 I could very easily see how I could be just fine not playing wood again. And I love my Taylor 814, but my Rainsong is simply amazing!
After a free recording class this morning at one of the several Guitar Centers in the DC area, I wandered into the acoustic room(s). Immediately after playing a disappointing Martin 000-15M I tried my first CF guitar...a Rainsong dread. I was quite impressed. It was light and responsive, had plenty of volume and bass, and sounded more like a conventional wood guitar than I had expected. So much for anticipating sounds based on written words.

Then I tried a Rainsong HWS1000N2. And I was blown away! This week's email discount was not very good (15% off), otherwise I might have walked out the door with it. Didn't want to let go of it. Eventually I just sat there noodling and cradling it for some time while shooting the breeze with the sales guy.

Up until now I've had only a casual interest in CF guitars. Now I have an itch that will have to be scratched.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber