The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2020, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

I've never bought used, so that right there takes a little of risk out of it. I also don't buy a lot of them, so that cuts the odds of getting the lemon or something someone is trying to dump. My first was an acoustic and I figured out what I wanted but I couldn't find one close enough to try it first. So I ordered it from a shop in Huntsville, AL. Maybe I lucked out. I love it. The second was an electric and again, I figured out what I wanted but couldn't find one locally. I did play what was available locally and really didn't like any of them. So I bought one from Sweetwater. I couldn't be happier with it.

So I'm two for two sight unseen and I'm not pressing my luck. If I ever do buy another it will probably have to be something that finds me, not the other way around. I'm not tempted by pretty pictures and clever pitches. It will have to be something I come across, play it, and gotta have it. Otherwise I'm good.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 11-26-2020, 09:17 AM

I really havent had that many problems with buying a guitar from this site -
Ebay i got screwed once for a mandolin - when they dont know anything about what their selling , should be a flag for a scam .
With time i learned what to ask - Whats most important is that I basically now have to play before i pay-meet them some place neutral
-not far from me - bought a couple like this -both were decent deals .

I just think their are alot of guitars out their for sale - i shouldnt have to work that hard to find the right guitar that floats my boat.

Old 11-26-2020, 09:49 AM

The only guitar I've bought unseen was my J-45 so my first question to the dealer was about return policies. I got lucky with that one as I fell in love with it at first sight/strum. Buying from a reputable dealer with a reasonable return policy made the whole process a whole lot more comfortable. I'd be a lot more nervous to buy used, especially if it's a private sale.

Speaking of guitars sounding the worst they'll sound when new: when searching for an all mahogany, I tried a couple different ones at LA Guitar Sales. There was a standard 000-15 with a slightly higher action but a great sound. I was pleased with it and figured with a slight adjustment that was the one coming home with me that day. That was until I spotted something chocolaty colored shining on the wall. I was told that was one of their custom models, and the only one in stock at the time. I obviously had to try it out! I noticed the action was perfect and it looked so gorgeous. And then the sound... it was actually kind of dead, not gonna lie. The standard had it beat easily. But being the stubborn person that I am, I kept playing it trying to convince myself to give it a chance. Oh, I tried to rationalize taking that one so hard! Luckily, my stubbornness made me play it longer than I did the others. I guess this did something, because after a while I suddenly heard it: overtones and sustain. I thought I was imagining it so I went back and forth between those two. Who would've known that after a while they sounded almost identical! The thing had woken up right as I was coming to terms on which to take. Call it a sign or dumb luck, but that custom came in clutch at the last minute in order to be in my sig below.

Moral of the story: sometimes a guitar really only needs to just be played for a bit. We live fast pace lives, and sometimes we forget or can't put in the time into a guitar to help it. I'm not saying there's no dogs out there, but a bit of patience can make all the difference.
  • Gibson J-15
  • Taylor 514CE
  • Taylor 254CE DLX
  • Taylor 214CE
Old 11-26-2020, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

I did quite a bit of research online, here and other sources, before buying my Avalon. I wasn't disappointed. My Alvarez 00 and Seagull were both bought online also. The Alvarez exceeded my expectations. I was underwhelmed with the Seagull, but after a home made soundport and just letting it be a guitar for over 10 years its doing better.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-26-2020, 10:31 AM

I've bought, traded and sold a bunch of guitars over the last 8 years or so and have settled on the three in my sig. Two of those guitars were online 'sight unseen' guitars and I was/am quite happy with their sound. I'd rather be able to play the actual guitar before buying but the ones I have not been able to play beforehand still turned out to be great guitars.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 11-26-2020, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Of the current collection I have my top three favorites are sight unseen internet purchases.

My one that I am likely to put up for sale shortly is one of the few that I actually bought from a store with a chance to try it out and play it.

The whole collection easily out plays anything I've tried in stores near me to my taste.

The selection of guitars at a given price point available online is starting to way exceed finding anything close locally to even be able to try that is at a similar price / performance.

Also at home I can compare them directly to each other in the same space with the same strings.

I have also bought a couple that didn't grab me from online but tried to make sure I had good avenues to turn them over without losing a ton of money.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:11 PM

I purchased all of my guitars (and most of my other instruments) sight unseen, though most were purchased either through dealers or directly from the builder. In most cases they met or exceeded expectations. If they hadn't, I always had a return option. I returned a couple, including a beautiful sounding hand-built classical that had a structural issue. And I almost returned my Goodall because, like Andy's first Collings, it sounded unexpectedly tight. I guess the Adirondack top still thought it was a tree. It's now one of the four guitars that I will keep until my arms fall off.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:25 PM

I agree with your point and may even extend it a bit. The player is the biggest factor to how an instrument sounds when played. I also think a reluctance to believe that is why a lot of nice guitars get sold.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion