The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-05-2018, 05:23 AM

Default Any tonal effect on bridge position?

I made a big bridge which the saddle is located at the middle so as to make it closer to the pin holes for better break angle. However the bridge will land right on the x brace crossing position after measured the scale length. Knowing that the x brace is stiffy, would it give the guitar a less dynamic voice or not?
Old 05-05-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianli408 View Post
I made a big bridge which the saddle is located at the middle so as to make it closer to the pin holes for better break angle. However the bridge will land right on the x brace crossing position after measured the scale length. Knowing that the x brace is stiffy, would it give the guitar a less dynamic voice or not?
The bridge should be a couple of inches behind the cross. If it's right on the cross, the X brace is probably in the way of the pin holes.
et al
Old 05-05-2018, 01:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

You may also want to consider why you are trying to increase the break angle. Once the break angle is enough (6-7 degree break angle) having more doesn't really do anything. What does make a difference is how far that string/saddle contact point is above the sound board.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 05-05-2018, 04:39 PM

In the test I did with an automatic plucker six degrees of break was 'enough', but only just. However, the plucker displaced the string straight up, so that it was vibrating perpendicular to the soundboard, with no side to side travel. In a normal pluck you'd get at least some sideways motion, which could cause the string to roll on the saddle, so you'd want more break angle. I'd think 12-15 degrees should be plenty., but have not done any testing to nail that down.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:45 PM

Give it a shot .
Please report back with your observations .
Old 05-05-2018, 06:51 PM

Oh sorry the bridge doesnt makes to the cross of x brace, simply my misplace.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:46 PM

Yet, I still have questions on the beidge.
Seen from the image, the wings of the bridge extend out of the bridge plate and close to the tone brace
So will this limit the soundboard movement and give a less pleasant tone?
Heres how the bridge looks on the body

Bonus image for my orginal design

Sorry for the gigantic image I have no idea why its happened

Last edited by brianli408; 05-05-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:27 AM

It looks to me like you either have a very large sound hole or it is shifted down towards the bridge which would place the X-Brace further in that direction too. There really is no right or wrong way to do it but it will have a definite affect on tone. Typically the bridge wings contact the X-Braces for structural reasons but weather the contact is just the top corners, through the middle of the wings, bottom corners or even tighter will have an affect on the tone. The angle of the X-Brace of course is another variable in that equation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair