The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-19-2021, 02:28 PM

Default New EV Evolve 50M

In case you don’t check social medias... introducing the EV Evolve 50M.
https://products.electrovoice.com/na/en/evolve-50m/

They done it! Look for more info coming soon at NAMM. If we were gigging this year, this could handle anything around town and certainly is more well built then the flimsy connector pieces featured on the new Bose L1 Pro line (bound to fail eventually - facts). The column is built like a tank just like the EV Evolve 50 and locks into place no jiggle - but in addition has the digital wireless mixing capabilities like the Evolve 30M. Tough to beat, hope someone snags one like I said it’s just overkill for me to keep in the living room since covid 2021 is still not looking good for live events/gatherings. Maybe next year...
Old 01-19-2021, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post

They done it! Look for more info coming soon at NAMM.... .
Good move--and with a Bose price too! I mean literally, both the Bose L1 Pro32 with the Sub1 bass, and the Evolve 50M, are priced at $2698 at Sweetwater. Many assumed integrating the inputs and wireless mixing capability of the 30M was inevitable, but you've got to really want it for the $1K premium over the $1699 plain-ole 50.

Good for them though. I think you could use the 50's sticks to jack up a truck.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

They done it! Look for more info coming soon at NAMM. If we were gigging this year, this could handle anything around town and certainly is more well built then the flimsy connector pieces featured on the new Bose L1 Pro line (bound to fail eventually - facts). The column is built like a tank just like the EV Evolve 50 and locks into place no jiggle - but in addition has the digital wireless mixing capabilities like the Evolve 30M. Tough to beat, hope someone snags one like I said it’s just overkill for me to keep in the living room since covid 2021 is still not looking good for live events/gatherings. Maybe next year...
Nice! A couple of months ago I was considering an Evolve 50 and I wishing it had at least the same compliment of I/O as the Evolve 30--Now It Does! Oops, Bummer, it only has 15-volt phantom power available on Channels 1 to 4. What, no 48-volt phantom power?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-19-2021, 05:42 PM

Lot's of inputs and sounds like it should be very gig worthy. Also, tipping the scales at close to 60 lbs - kinda defeats the purpose of this type of system vs. a pair of powered speakers though........

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-19-2021, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Lot's of inputs and sounds like it should be very gig worthy. Also, tipping the scales at close to 60 lbs - kinda defeats the purpose of this type of system vs. a pair of powered speakers though........
Agreed, the weight's gonna be near unusable for most people without a trolley
Old 01-19-2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
Agreed, the weight's gonna be near unusable for most people without a trolley
Come on guys - it’s a column and a sub. You make it sound like the sub is 60lbs.. that’s the total weight. The sub is 44lbs.

Let’s be real it still beats lugging around the old traditional setup of 2 heavy mains, monitors, subwoofers, a mixer and mixer stand (plus ALL the cables).

It doesn’t require a trolley that’s just your two’s opinions - I’m sure there’s tons of people (DJs & Musicians) with the old model Evolve 50s that don’t have such extravagant ways of transporting and make it work.

Really if it’s that important EV already makes a gigbag on wheels for this so cheers you can’t beat this as a whole package it’s totally still viable and a very smart choice these days. https://products.electrovoice.com/na...-rolling-case/
Old 01-20-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Come on guys - it’s a column and a sub. You make it sound like the sub is 60lbs.. that’s the total weight. The sub is 44lbs.

Let’s be real it still beats lugging around the old traditional setup of 2 heavy mains, monitors, subwoofers, a mixer and mixer stand (plus ALL the cables).

It doesn’t require a trolley that’s just your two’s opinions - I’m sure there’s tons of people (DJs & Musicians) with the old model Evolve 50s that don’t have such extravagant ways of transporting and make it work.

Really if it’s that important EV already makes a gigbag on wheels for this so cheers you can’t beat this as a whole package it’s totally still viable and a very smart choice i7these days. https://products.electrovoice.com/na...-rolling-case/
I think opinions are what this forum is all about... That is a lot of weight for some to drag around icy streets for an acoustic gig. With my band I'm prepared to schlep..when I'm solo or duo I'm searching for any way not to schlep. The number of trips to the truck is a big consideration depending on where I gig and how bad the blue collar gig treated me during the day.

On another note...I kind of remember a somewhat heated back and forth on whether or not the EV 50 was an acoustic guitar feedback nightmare. Can anyone who owns/owned one of these units speak on that and their overall experience (acoustic solo/duo/trio)? The EV 50 is rarely, if ever, mentioned here anymore when folks ask about acoustic sound setups.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
I think opinions are what this forum is all about... That is a lot of weight for some to drag around icy streets for an acoustic gig....
For sure.

I first started looking at sticks a few years ago after a duo gig where I had to hoist and un-hoist something like a 40-pound JBL Eon 615 on top of a speaker tripod. I'm short and of only average strength at best, and vowed never to do that again. When I started shopping, stick systems with heavy subs didn't bother me much because I don't have to lift that up onto a stand.

Reality set in and I don't really need something as powerful as the EV 50M (or Bose L1 M2/B1 that I bought used, just in case I have to save the day somewhere!). But if you can get the sound you need out of it, lighter is better for sure.

I've heard exactly one Evolve 50, not long before the pandemic, and it sounded great. I didn't hear any feedback. The user was crammed into a small, tight, reflective space, but this was also way more amp than needed there. Sample size = 1.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:07 PM

I’ve been using the Evolve 50 PA since they came out. One is the perfect small to medium size gig PA, and two make a great stereo PA system for larger events. Not sure, however, if it’s worth an extra grand for a built-in mixer... although I wish mine had one!

It’s still the best small line array PA out there... IMHO.
[email protected]
Two cool Breedloves
Five amazing Aura-equipped Martins
2013 Gibson SJ-200
Two jumbo maple Guild 12-strings
Guild 8-string baritone
1979 Ovation Custom Balladeer
Peter Frampton Epiphone Texan
Yamaha 12-string
Alvarez classical
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10-Top
Lots of Fender & Variax electrics
Old 01-25-2021, 07:34 PM

I’m so happy I saw this thread the other day! I immediately exchanged my few day old Evolve 50 for the 50M. It’s on back order but I’m sure it will be worth the wait.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:44 AM

In my limited experience with
Ev products I've always thought
They had much better audio
Quality than bose. Not as harsh.
This should be a winner. Other than
the price. $2700 can buy alot of
PA. If components go south you just
Replace the component. If this goes
south..well $2700.. I dont mean to be negative but most of us local
musicians dont need this.
"Local Musician...a person that puts
$5000 worth of equipment in his/her $2500 car to drive 100 miles to make $50"
Old 01-26-2021, 04:46 PM

Interesting that Sweetwater has a $700 price drop on these right now. So now it’s only a $2000 investment. Isn’t this brand new?
Takamine EF381SC
EV Evolve 30M x 2
QSC K8.2’s
QSC CP8
Old 01-26-2021, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueacoustic View Post
Interesting that Sweetwater has a $700 price drop on these right now. So now it’s only a $2000 investment. Isn’t this brand new?
Yes, and that sure is interesting. Same price at Guitar Center. That's an insane price drop. Earlier in this thread when it first came out, I noted it was priced at exactly the same as the Bose L1 Pro32 (whose price hasn't budged).

With the lower price, there's only a $300 premium over the EV 50!
Old 01-26-2021, 10:26 PM

I purchased the Evolve 30m and am very impressed. Can't imagine any acoustic gig needing more power than this. Power wise probably equal to my Bose L1 M2. If I ever need more power I can run my QSC K8.2 or Bose S1 Pro from the Aux. out. I was looking at the 50 but the 30's weight is much more manageable. Great app! A pair of Evolve 50's is very popular with the wedding DJ scene.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Sorry, I got long winded!

I just picked up an Evolve 50M. I've been looking at array systems for a long time, and chickened out a couple of times. I loaded my phone with the related apps in preparation. I found that every shop and salesman I visited had differing opinions of Bose vs EV vs JBL, including the 3 GC's I visited. I never actually ran a mic or guitar through the systems, but rather some good MP3's of some music similar to what I play (just acoustic guitar and vocal with no overdubs). On paper I had high hopes for the JBL, but had trouble with the app, and couldn't get it connected. A salesman played some stuff on his phone, and did mention that the app has been frustrating. I thought the sound was "ok" but not great. The Bose L1 8 and 16 sounded nice and full, with the famous dispersion. I wasn't thrilled with the feature set, or the construction of them, such as the plastic parts and wobbly columns. The stores had the Evolve 30M and 50 (but not the 50M model) in stock. I previously felt that these were more geared towards DJ's with the added punch over the Bose, but after spending a little time I was pretty impressed with the sound. I found the 30M was a bit lacking in fullness compared to the 50--which is understandable given the larger sub and larger (and more) column speakers. I had a "sound in my head". that is I wanted fat and full, at low and reasonable volume levels, without aggressiveness that would chase people up front out of the venue. I also was able to maneuver the EV app pretty easily (and I'm not very technical), and liked the robust construction of the EV's--wooden subs and metal columns. So with a 15% of coupon burning a hole in my pocket I took the plunge and ordered the 50M.

So I've spent some time with the unit the past couple of days. As I dug deeper into the app, I found it pretty intuitive, but it did take me a while to figure some features out (and I'm still learning). I've been putting it through the paces in my house--moving it to different places, trying different mics, guitars, volume levels, etc. I had my wife move around the house as I played, including sitting close and up front, and she was impressed with it, and didn't find my sound "piercing", but rather full (even though it was loud). I found that turning up the sub a little took some of the aggressiveness of the column away. I know the effects get a bad rap, and they aren't the greatest, but I use effects sparingly, and have found a couple of the settings (namely the plate reverb and short delays) very usable--it's mostly when they are turned up that things fall apart. It would be nice to have a little more control and perhaps different effects on different channels (within the EFX1 menu), but again very usable for my needs. I'm still playing with compression as I've never had that feature in a mixer before, but none to very little sounds good to me. The EQ presets are pretty decent to get a good starting point, and I've only had to do some minor tweaking to get a good sound. I wish there was 48v phantom power vs 15v, but my AKG C535 EB powered up fine. My main vocal mic, an older EV ND967 is a perfect match with the system for my voice--of the mics I've tried so far--it smooths out the sound quite a bit.
My large diaphragm mic didn't work so well, but I expected that (plus it wants more voltage). My Cole Clark and nylon string with a Fishman pickup were easy to dial in and sound pretty good. I even tried plugging in an electric into the high Z input, and it sounded "fair" at best, but again, I expected that given the more HiFi speakers. I then tried my electric guitar pedalboard, which has reverb and more importantly a preamp that emulates old octal tube amps, and I was able to dial in a much more usable sound (if I ever needed to plug into the unit). I also hooked up my Bose S1 as a monitor, and it worked fine. I should add that I was able to stand in front of the 50M and get it pretty loud without feedback, although I understand that in the real world this may not be possible, as some report a tendency to feed back when set up like that. One thing I wish (and maybe I haven't found it) is the ability to mute the system before turning it on. I think the only way to do that is to not plug anything in, turn on the unit and the app if using, and then mute them before plugging in the mics and instruments. I'm used to hooking everything up first and then turning on the unit, which could cause it to feed back.

The sub is about 44 lbs, which is pretty hefty (and it's kind of bulky), and the top units aren't real light either. But then I'm used to lugging electric guitar amps and bags of horse feed around (even though they get heavier all the time). I've been purposely packing it up and moving it around each night to see if I want to lug that much weight around, and I plan to try loading it into my vehicles. If I keep it I will likely get the rolling case, so transporting it shouldn't be a big deal. Realistically the 30M would probably be more than adequate for what I need, but I was seduced by the extra fullness of the larger unit, which could be a plus for playing outside venues which I hope to do. If I get another discount coupon I may pick up the 30M and bring it home to compare, and return one of them. I've even thought about bringing home a Bose to spend some time with, but honestly, I think the 50M will be hard to beat. That said, I fully intend to take advantage of my 45 day return privilege.

Anyone own (or tried extensively) both the 30M and 50M, and would you care to comment? Or an EV and Bose system?

Last edited by Stringmaster; 12-13-2021 at 06:33 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification