The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-15-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeamps View Post
any 6SN7s in there you want to get rid of?
Those are only the output tubes. A few 6SN7's with my input tubes. I'll be building some octal amps with them, have a couple of field coil speakers I need to do something with. Have a few sets of 6F6's that were not included with the bunch shown.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Those are only the output tubes. A few 6SN7's with my input tubes. I'll be building some octal amps with them, have a couple of field coil speakers I need to do something with. Have a few sets of 6F6's that were not included with the bunch shown.
Nice, an octal in the V1 slot can be a thing of beauty in the right circuit. I have a Komet Constellation which uses the 6SN7 in V1 and it is simply amazing,
And NO solid state amp has been born that can recreate the dynamics and touch sensitivity of a good tube amp.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
any 6SN7s in there you want to get rid of?
I have a small box of NOS tubes there are a few 6SL7 s 6V6 6L6 5U4 plus others. If you want the whole box pm me your mailing address and I'll send them to you.

In exchange send me a check for the shipping plus what you think they are worth after testing and evaluating them.

US only.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
I have a small box of NOS tubes there are a few 6SL7 s 6V6 6L6 5U4 plus others. If you want the whole box pm me your mailing address and I'll send them to you.

In exchange send me a check for the shipping plus what you think they are worth after testing and evaluating them.

US only.
That is a very generous offer and much appreciated. Unfortunately I can’t use a 6SL7, it is a very different tube from a 6SN7 and wouldn’t perform well in my amp.
I have a a good supply of 6v6s and 6L6s on hand as well as EL 84s, and KT 77s.
Thanks for the offer.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstring View Post
As I mentioned earlier, the times when tube amplifiers were unsurpassed are long gone. Maybe you only had the wrong devices. In the 60s and 70s, the choice of usable ss amplifiers was unfortunately very small, but since then they have been greatly improved and offer far more tube-like sounds than a tube amplifier could ever do.
If the sound and tone of a tube amp is the metric we're using, then it's not possible for a solid state amp to sound like more of a tube amp than a tube amp does, simply because the tube amp represents the goal. A tube amplifier is the purest representation of what a tube amplifier sounds like and, as such, it cannot be surpassed in that regard...

Last edited by CoffeeFan; 01-15-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:23 PM

The sound of which tube amp though?
Old 01-15-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Nice, an octal in the V1 slot can be a thing of beauty in the right circuit...And NO solid state amp has been born that can recreate the dynamics and touch sensitivity of a good tube amp.
Still have the old top-panel/no 'verb Ampeg Rocket I bought brand-new in May 1964 - the late Dennis Kager confirmed that it was one of the very first amps he worked on when he joined the company - and you're 100% right on both counts...
Old 01-15-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstring View Post
but since then they have been greatly improved and offer far more tube-like sounds than a tube amplifier could ever do.
No doubt. Tube amps can't make "tube-like" sounds. They can only make tube amp sounds.

Personally, I don't want "tube-like" sounds. I want tube amp sounds.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:49 PM

I will never give up my tube amps, solid state amps just don't cut it, get real now

1933 Gibson L-00
2007 Taylor 110
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2018 Eastman E10M
1977 Sigma DR-9
2012 Republic Miniolian
2016 Recording King ROS-G9M
Old 01-16-2020, 06:08 PM

I can't see why you wouldn't want to own one or some of each.

For me, irrespective of any arguments about tone, a solid state modelling amp is simply cheaper, covers more bases and is more practical for home playing and I will always own one as much as I like Fender tube amps.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
I can't see why you wouldn't want to own one or some of each.

For me, irrespective of any arguments about tone, a solid state modelling amp is simply cheaper, covers more bases and is more practical for home playing and I will always own one as much as I like Fender tube amps.
I have a tube amp and I'm on my third solid-state modeling amp. I have not been able to get the sound from my modeling amps that I get from my tube amp. Because of this, I haul the gazillion-pound tube amp to open mics to play three songs. A lot of effort, but worth it.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-16-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
...I have not been able to get the sound from my modeling amps that I get from my tube amp. Because of this, I haul the gazillion-pound tube amp to open mics to play three songs...
I've been using this to play open mics, coffeehouse-size gigs, and twice-weekly band practice for the last couple years - plenty of volume/tone, built like a tank, and loves DIY mods (speaker upgrade, tube swap):

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp

If you need more grunt I understand a lot of the TDPRI guys keep one of these around - 15W, spring reverb, and a Celestion speaker (TMK what you're getting is the Laney Cub 12R in a generic package, at a little over half the price of the name-brand box):

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...n=q2_2016_test

In either case you're dealing with a very manageable size/weight (under 25 pounds) - something I appreciate more the older I get...
Old 01-16-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I've been using this to play open mics, coffeehouse-size gigs, and twice-weekly band practice for the last couple years - plenty of volume/tone, built like a tank, and loves DIY mods (speaker upgrade, tube swap):

If you need more grunt I understand a lot of the TDPRI guys keep one of these around - 15W, spring reverb, and a Celestion speaker (TMK what you're getting is the Laney Cub 12R in a generic package, at a little over half the price of the name-brand box):

In either case you're dealing with a very manageable size/weight (under 25 pounds) - something I appreciate more the older I get...
I might consider one of those after I get my V22 paid off!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-16-2020, 09:42 PM

I've replied in this thread before, but I'll mention it again. I have tube amps and love their sound. I used to HATE solid state amps 10 to 15 years ago. But, things have changed a lot in that time. The new solid state modeling amps and really very good. I think a lot of folks are pretty close minded at actually trying these new solid state amps.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-16-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I've replied in this thread before, but I'll mention it again. I have tube amps and love their sound. I used to HATE solid state amps 10 to 15 years ago. But, things have changed a lot in that time. The new solid state modeling amps and really very good. I think a lot of folks are pretty close minded at actually trying these new solid state amps.
I'll have to give solid state amps another go at the guitar store. Are you talking about solid state amps with modeling technology or just solid state?

Wow - this thread really came alive over the past day. Good stuff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars