The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-09-2023, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Gibson L-4 "f-holes" (1934 build, 1935 model) Value?

Hi, I have a 1934/5 Gibson L4 "f" hole 16" archtop that I bought from Archtop.com in 2011. it has one small impact dent crack in the back upper bout, 9never gonna move, and one small scratch on the front upper bout - visible in certain light.
I had it refretted with period correct frets later that year. It came in the original, and pretty tatty but useable case.

In 2011 I paid app £2780/$3526 (including shipping to UK and taxes (app 3% Excise duty, and 20% VAT).
My ambitions to become a jazz/ American songbook player were stillborn.

A very talented young man visited me yesterday and rather fell in love with it but I cannot find a similar guitar for sale anywhere, so I have no idea what the right price might be now.

The L4/L7 (are virtually identical).

I'd be grateful for opinions. Can anyone give me a clue?

see:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GIBSON L-4.jpg (23.8 KB, 63 views)
Old 08-10-2023, 12:38 PM

I know there are those who provide valuations, but I'm not one. But your second photo made me think of the Waterloo WL-AT, perhaps one of the only archtops made today without a pickup. The MAP for that one is $5,525 / 4,342.54 GBP.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops