The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooglins View Post
I love that store as well. Funny thing is the used Bourgeois they have had during my visits have been most impressive.

If I got to Artisan usually the Santa Cruz's stand out.
The Banjo Killer Slope D I played yesterday was my favorite in the store of all the ones I played. The OM sounded better than all of the Santa Cruz dreads. With a year of LOTS of playing, mine has opened up and turned into a monster guitar. Dana sure makes some great guitars!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

Last edited by Tnfiddler; 01-23-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Good trip. I believe they run official tours on Fridays. You are looking at about two hours north of Boston, up Rt 95. Easy peasy.
D
Yeah I was looking at that. Little further north than I anticipated. I'll be in western Mass mostly, but might hit my Boston friends on my way home and detour up north before heading back to SW Ohio.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robey View Post
Yeah I was looking at that. Little further north than I anticipated. I'll be in western Mass mostly, but might hit my Boston friends on my way home and detour up north before heading back to SW Ohio.
If you are in Boston, you MUST hit The Music Emporium in Lexington - just a few minutes drive from Cambridge. It is guitar heaven on earth. No foolin'.
David
Old 01-23-2020, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you are in Boston, you MUST hit The Music Emporium in Lexington - just a few minutes drive from Cambridge. It is guitar heaven on earth. No foolin'.
David
But only enter if you have lockable zippers on your wallet pocket.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
David
Been there 1/2 dozen times over the last 40 years. To much candy for me and I've had my fill. I like the off beat places - Lehmann in Rochester, Nicholasville in Ky, there use to be a great small store in Barrington, Vt. Name escapes me at the moment, not sure if it's still there.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

If you go back you should play the Goodalls they have in there and see what you think.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 01-23-2020, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Been there 1/2 dozen times over the last 40 years. To much candy for me and I've had my fill.
Not penny candy....
David
Old 01-23-2020, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I like the off beat places - Lehmann in Rochester, Nicholasville in Ky, there use to be a great small store in Barrington, Vt. Name escapes me at the moment, not sure if it's still there.
Are you thinking of Maple Leaf Music in Brattleboro, VT ? Bought my Mid-Mo mandolin from them. Unfortunately they closed a couple of years after Kate retired. Friendly and helpful shop.

There's a cool looking shop in Keene, NH that I'd like to visit called Retro Music. They seem to carry mostly used instruments.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:50 PM

I went to Carters and Gruhns over the weekend. Did you play the 1936 000-28? It was very nice. I was glad to realize I didn't find it to be $47,000 better than a 000-28 on the main floor. We had a blast playing so many wonderful guitars and amps. I hope you stepped across the parking lot and ate at Arnolds, if you went on a weekday. We did and we were stuffed while we were playing guitars all afternoon.

The Martin OMJM at Gruhns was the best guitar I played all weekend. A Collings was 2nd.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipreid View Post
I went to Carters and Gruhns over the weekend. Did you play the 1936 000-28? It was very nice. I was glad to realize I didn't find it to be $47,000 better than a 000-28 on the main floor. We had a blast playing so many wonderful guitars and amps. I hope you stepped across the parking lot and ate at Arnolds, if you went on a weekday. We did and we were stuffed while we were playing guitars all afternoon.

The Martin OMJM at Gruhns was the best guitar I played all weekend. A Collings was 2nd.
I went in the high-end room, but I didn't grab any off the wall. I didn't want to take the chance of something happening to one!

Old 01-29-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipreid View Post
I went to Carters and Gruhns over the weekend. Did you play the 1936 000-28? It was very nice. I was glad to realize I didn't find it to be $47,000 better than a 000-28 on the main floor...

Just to be clear, you're saying you preferred the OMJM to the prewar 000-28?
Old 01-29-2020, 06:49 PM

Wait! You went to Carters and liked your own guitar best. NOT FAIR
Old 01-29-2020, 07:08 PM

Picked up an almost new Bourgeois OMS a couple months ago and have been enjoying hearing it develop.
At first I wasn't terribly impressed (coming from the Martin camp), thought it was way too bassy and didn't care for the kinda skinny neck (reminded me of Martin's "new" mlo/pa neck, which I don't particularly care for).
Now after a few months the OMS' tone has developed some clarity and the trebles are starting to sing. Gettin' used to the neck too.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Wait! You went to Carters and liked your own guitar best. NOT FAIR
That would be a yes. These Banjo Killers are special guitars! They have the perfect combination of everything!!

Old 01-29-2020, 09:15 PM

With the need to watch the number of people playing their high end guitars, no wonder they can't find anyone to anwser a lowly email inquiry. Lol. Last I looked Carter's had seven Loyd Loar signed mandolins. That's nearly $1 million for just seven instruments. Boggles the mind.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion