The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 12:56 PM

Default My NGD last week may be a nightmare UPDATE 2/14/20.

So, as I posted last week, I got my new Martin CEO-9 on Wednesday. Beautiful guitar and easy to play great tone - just what I wanted. After playing it for couple of days, I noticed there was some string buzz on the third string. Wasn’t really concerned and figured it probably just needed a setup. I took it to my guitar class yesterday and my instructor was playing it and asked if I heard a rattle? I didn’t really but I did notice something didn’t sound quite right primarily on the 2nd and 3rd string.

This morning I called my luthier and took the guitar over to have him give it a look. First issue popped up in about a minute. Frets were not level. Several were not level. “Never seen this on a new Martin!” As he plucked strings his attention went to the body and said he heard a rattle. I heard it too at this point, faint but there. He put his thumb on the top and rattle stopped. He handed the guitar back and said he wasn’t touching it and to send it back to Martin. He wasn’t positive it had a loose brace but he said to tell them it sounded like and acted like a loose brace.

So I just lost all my luck dealing with mail ordering guitars. Martin was nice but they aren’t taking repairs (there is a waiting list) and once they get a guitar in for repair it will take at least 6 months. Man am I bummed. They suggested dealing with a qualified repair center which I am investigating now.

UPDATE: Spoke with the closest Martin Service Center this afternoon and he is going to set up a time within the next couple of weeks for me to bring the guitar over. Probably looking at a few weeks from now; if that, to resolve any issues! I feel better!

Resolution: I wanted to let you guys know how this issue was resolved and what exactly was going on with the guitar. Things are not always as they seem. After a few weeks I was able to get the guitar to a Martin Service Center. I was getting reports from the tech as he went over the guitar. No brace issues first of all. The tech found two other issues which affected the playability of the guitar. The truss rod was way over tightened which put negative relief on the fret board. It was bowed up. The second issue which added insult to injury was the nut was way too low either by general height and/or by the cut of the string slots. Both issues were rather easy to correct. The nut issue had everyone puzzled. The third string was all but laying on the fret.

I got the guitar back today and I can tell you it is playing and sounding awesome.

I am Happy!

Jim

Jim
2019 Martin CEO-9

Last edited by Atomnimity; 02-14-2020 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-10-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomnimity View Post
So, as I posted last week, I got my new Martin CEO-9 on Wednesday. Beautiful guitar and easy to play great tone - just what I wanted. After playing it for couple of days, I noticed there was some string buzz on the third string. Wasn’t really concerned and figured it probably just needed a setup. I took it to my guitar class yesterday and my instructor was playing it and asked if I heard a rattle? I didn’t really but I did notice something didn’t sound quite right primarily on the 2nd and 3rd string.

This morning I called my luthier and took the guitar over to have him give it a look. First issue popped up in about a minute. Frets were not level. Several were not level. “Never seen this on a new Martin!” As he plucked strings his attention went to the body and said he heard a rattle. I heard it too at this point, faint but there. He put his thumb on the top and rattle stopped. He handed the guitar back and said he wasn’t touching it and to send it back to Martin. He wasn’t positive it had a loose brace but he said to tell them it sounded like and acted like a loose brace.

So I just lost all my luck dealing with mail ordering guitars. Martin was nice but they aren’t taking repairs (there is a waiting list) and once they get a guitar in for repair it will take at least 6 months. Man am I bummed. They suggested dealing with a qualified repair center which I am investigating now.

Jim
Does the dealer you bought it from accept returns at this point? I noticed a rattle on my new HD28 that was my tuners and my dealer reached out to Martin for me and got me a new set sent to my door. He offered to take it back if I didn't want to do the swap myself. Obviously your issue is more involved.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:03 PM

Can you not just return it to the place you bought it from? At least in the UK we have fairly strong rights and protections. They sold you a duff guitar. While thats not their fault, it should be their problem and they should be getting a refund from Martin eventually.

I have 30 days to return my hummingbird. Well, I did until I bonked it on the corner of my desk and put a tiny dent in the back. Fortunately I'd already decided to keep it

Last edited by RalphH; 12-12-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:12 PM

I had a similar problem with a Martin OM-28. I bought it from Sweetwater and after nine months I hadn't bonded with it and decided to sell it. The seller received it and noticed that there was a defect in the neck that I never had noticed (I was pretty green in my guitar life at that point). I called Sweetwater and they offered to either repair it or get a brand new one. I chose the latter.

It pays to buy from reputable places.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:13 PM

My understanding (and it's just that as I have never owned a Martin but hey, I'm only 71) is that you can take it to a "Martin certified" repair person and have the work evaluated.

In fact read through this: There's a post by an owner who said he or she was told that sending it to Martin would take six to eight months longer than if it was taken to a repair facility.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=266244

However I don't know what happens after the evaluation. I guess the repair person could say the Martin factory would best be able to make the repair. If the local place does the repair will it bill Martin or does the owner have to pay the repair person and then get repaid by Martin?
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-10-2019, 01:35 PM

No need to send it to Martin; any good Martin-authorized repair place could handle your issues.
That said, I might consider returning it if you are within the period. Sounds like it wasn't well-kept at the dealer.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 12-10-2019, 01:41 PM

If he didn't actually look inside the guitar then there is no way he can tell if it's a loose brace. When pressing on the top for example he may have also been putting pressure on the neck which could have stopped a truss rod rattle. Take it to someone else or do this your self. Take the strings off or make them very loose and put a bright light source inside the guitar. I use a light bulb at the end of a cord, a low power compact fluorescent or something that doesn't get hot. Then using a small mirror look around real good on the inside pushing on the top as you go. You may need to bring it up to string tension to see if the braces are loose.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Jim

man what is up with Martin and their total lack of customer support?

This is not the first time I've seen a customer get the ice shoulder from them. Seems pretty ridiculous.

I currently do not own a martin, and based on posts like this, I probably never will.

I wish you luck in resolving.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
So, as I posted last week, I got my new Martin CEO-9 on Wednesday.

Jim
Call the dealer right away. Arrange to send it back to the dealer and get a replacement (one without issues).
Old 12-10-2019, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I had a similar problem with a Martin OM-28. I bought it from Sweetwater and after nine months I hadn't bonded with it and decided to sell it. The seller received it and noticed that there was a defect in the neck that I never had noticed (I was pretty green in my guitar life at that point). I called Sweetwater and they offered to either repair it or get a brand new one. I chose the latter.

It pays to buy from reputable places.
So the guy you sold it to got a brand new one? Or did you end up keeping it?
Old 12-10-2019, 02:45 PM

There was resent post about a Waterloo that was literally falling apart. Even though the guitar was purchased used and the problems were likely caused by one of the owners they wanted to look at it. Then made the owner a really nice offer on a new one.

I believe other manufactures no matter the product could learn from that.

Martin did say to go to a Martin certified luthier to have it looked at. That or return it if you are still able.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 12-10-2019, 02:46 PM

I'd guess the issue is indeed fixable, but I'd return it and find one without issues. Why start your relationship on a bad note?
Old 12-10-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Why start your relationship on a bad note?
Yeah, don't fret.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:28 PM

I am working with the place I bought the guitar. They are making contact with the Martin rep they have a relationship with. Part of the issue for me is I like this guitar and there are not a ton of them out there. Im hoping the closest certified repair tech can help me out. In waiting mode at the moment for contacts to return calls and see how many options I have.
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 12-10-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
Yeah, don't fret.
Ha! Ha!
2019 Martin CEO-9

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion