The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2019, 10:41 PM

Default Martin Geib 12c545ec Case Does Not Fit D-18

Hello, I just purchased a Martin C545EC case for my vintage 1974 Martin D-18. Unfortunately, it does not fit properly. The lower bout fits correctly. However, the upper bout is the wrong shape. There is extra space on the sides of the the upper bout, but the top portion of the upper bout pushes into the padding. Aside from being a bit of a perfectionist, there is unnecessary pressure on the tops of the “shoulders” of the bout.

Has anyone else had this experience with Martin Geib style cases on the Martin Dreadnought? I have looked at some photos on reverb and it looks like I am not alone.

Does anyone have a recommended 3rd party Geib style (or other style) case that form fits Martin Dreadnoughts properly?
Old 11-27-2019, 05:07 AM

The four-latch, arch-topped, chrome latch, ply TKL case (green interior), supplied with my D-18 is a perfect fit. It was quite tight when new but the padding has squashed down a little since. I have no idea what the model number is.

Last edited by AndrewG; 11-27-2019 at 05:16 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

It’s a known phenomenon that Martin guitar models have varied in size and precise shape over the years. There’s nothing unusual or sinister in a vintage model being slightly out of kilter size/shape-wise with a modern example of the same model.

As a ‘perfectionist’, you can be satisfied that the guitar won’t slide around in the case, due to the tight fit. And being in a tight-fitting case is very unlikely to damage the guitar - the padding will eventually mould to the shape/size of the instrument.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-27-2019, 05:40 AM

I have a few Martin Dreads, one being a 2011 D-18, and they are all housed in the same cases as you have. They all fit like a glove. Maybe you have a defective case?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion