The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2023, 07:43 PM

Default Question about Martin platforms...00-18 vs 00-15

So...I was watching reverb the other day and a guitar came up....

It was listed as "00-18 custom".

Was a 00 size mahogany body with a Mahogany TOP?
The only specs the seller had listed was 1.75" nut. I was curious because if it was really a 00-18 that would be interesting...and for the Price (1650) it would have been a rockin' deal BUT it LOOKED like a 00-15 custom, in which case it would be cool, but it would have only been a 'fair' price.

I asked the seller if they had any more info BUT it allegedly 'sold' (though the listing just evaporated)

Is there such a thing or did they just mis-list it?
Old 06-16-2023, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

The 18 in the name likely referred to the bracing being used. It probably had 18 style bracing and appointments but with a mahogany top.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:59 PM

I saw that one too, I assumed it was a 00-18 with a different top wood. Here's the reverb link btw: https://reverb.com/item/70142524?utm...ntent=70142524
Old 06-16-2023, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Often times when people are selling custom models they call it by the name of the guitar that the modifications were based on or what it's closest to.

At the custom shop you generally pick a standard model and make modifications from there. People usually then refer to it as a custom version of that model, though technically it is not.

Guitars coming out of the custom shop do not technically get the standard line Martin names. Technically, this would be classified as a 00-14 which simply indicates body size and number of frets to the body but tells you nothing else about it (similarly what I refer to as my CS D-18 is technically a D-14), which is part of the reason that people don't generally use that designation. That same designation would be used from anything from the plainest Janes to the fanciest Nancys.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 06-17-2023, 04:50 AM
Charter Member

I was told by a dealer the new series 00-18 (w/ dovetail neck joint) could be ordered w/ a mahogany top for around $3500.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

I would not buy unless the seller provided a pic of the neck block so I could see the serial # and model. Looks like a 15.

+
Old 06-17-2023, 06:25 AM

Don’t forget the old -17 series which had a hog top as well. They were quite lovely, and I lusted after a 000-17S for quite a while.
Old 06-17-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
I would not buy unless the seller provided a pic of the neck block so I could see the serial # and model. Looks like a 15.

+
Agreed

Yeah..I looked for the block pic and it might have said 'special' or 'custom shop', but it had no model designation. They had little to NO info in the listing
I sent them a query but it 'sold' before anybody got back to me....if it really was a 00-18 they got an amazing deal. If it was a 15, it was only OK.

Really weird..I look at closed reverb sales all of the time through the search engine on safari (iphone) BUT this one, you can only see the 'micro' image after it 'sold'..wonder if that has to do with being sold locally?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion