The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-01-2020, 12:16 AM

1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 01-01-2020, 06:22 AM

Maybe I’m the odd man out, but I never had any trouble with Ovations sliding around on my lap or not hanging correctly from a strap when I stood to sing with them. Admittedly, I never owned one back when I was making my living as a bar musician, but I have gigged with a borrowed Ovation once when I was in Colorado without my own guitar and an unexpected gig fell into my lap. I also recorded a few tracks on an album I was making with the “house guitar” at that particular studio, which was an Adamas that recorded beautifully.

While I understand the preference for the tone of all-wood guitars, since that’s my own preference, but I’ve never understood the venom that Ovations often attract, or the “I could never keep one from sliding off my lap” commentary that keeps coming up. They always stayed on my lap just fine. They still do, on those rare occasions when I pick one up to play it.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-01-2020, 07:15 AM

From a purely nostalgic view, it's nice to see them back. I remember touring with an Adamas and a Custom Legend, back in the late 70's ?early 80's. They were never my choice of guitar for recording, a good all solid wood guitar did that job better, but Ovations were a game changer on larger stages and made FOH engineers a lot more happy. I eventually moved on to Takemines which offered an even better stage experience. Wow how things have moved on since then !
Old 01-01-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
While I understand the preference for the tone of all-wood guitars, since that’s my own preference, but I’ve never understood the venom that Ovations often attract, or the “I could never keep one from sliding off my lap” commentary that keeps coming up. They always stayed on my lap just fine. They still do, on those rare occasions when I pick one up to play it.

Wade Hampton Miller
I feel the same. I’ve never understood anti-Ovation venom when they’re just a different style of guitar. I’ve never had an issue with them sliding off my lap and I’ve played some that sounded and played exceedingly well. Like all guitars, they won’t be for everyone, but I always felt any hate was more prejudicial than criticism of quality. Of course, I don’t rave over the Celebrity models but their US made Balladeers, Legends, Elites, and Adamas are often very nice instruments.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-01-2020, 01:41 PM

I have a heavily gigged Ovation Celebrity 12 string, and I love it for what it does. That thing is built like a tank and has never failed me. I see it as an electric guitar, so I don’t mind that it’s unplugged tone isn’t as good as many all wood 12 strings. It’s a cool guitar.

I think it’s great that Adamas is back! I would love to have one. I can’t afford one, but I’m glad they are out there. That reverse red burst is one of the coolest finishes I have ever seen, and gives me the GAS.

Oh - and no venom here as I really dig them, but they slide off of my lap easily and hang funny on the strap. I’ve always wanted to try one of those contour backed ones to see if that addresses the issues at all for me.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 01-01-2020, 03:20 PM
Eric Skye

In 1987 I was twenty one and bought (with my first small bank loan co-signed by my mother) a brand new Adamas 1987 Collectors Edition, for I think something north of two grand(?) that was both my prize possession and main guitar for probably ten years. Played and sounded great. And never had any problem on stage at almost any volume with it.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Larry - I have seen the repair center address listed as: 8 Wickett street in Pine Meadow. It’s probably a mile south of the old factory in another factory building right off the river (west side).
Rick, thanks very much for the intel. I'll take a ride over there next week!
Stay tuned.
Best,
LarryK

Last edited by srick; 01-01-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

The first really good acoustic guitar I was ever fortunate enough to play was an Ovation Balladeer.

This was back in 1979 or 1980 or so - I'd never seen or played anything like it, as I progressed my way through a succession of mediocre acoustic GLOs.

The owner was kind enough to let me borrow it for a couple of folk club floor spots at the time. Showing up to a folk club in the UK at the time with anything grander than a Yamaha or an Eko was a bit provocative, but I didn't care - it was, quite simply, the best guitar I'd ever played up to that point.

I still have very fond memories of it - it was way better than much of the more commonly available dross at the time - and I'd gladly consider one now.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 01-01-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:32 PM

Cool song "New Hartford" Dolyle Dykes demoes one of the new Adamas:

Old 01-23-2020, 05:43 PM

I've said over 40 yrs. that if Ovation would have built a standard wooden body line of guitars along with the standard bowl design, Ovation would be as big as Martin, Taylor, and Gibson.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:33 PM

I guess my age gets in the way but the ovation guitars are just meh in my experience.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion