The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2020, 11:10 AM

Default Jasmine by Takamine, model...S712S???

I have my eye on a Jasmin by Takamine, made in Korea. It's a 12 string, no scratchplate, but as much as I have been searching about any info about this model I can't find ANY info about this model..So if anyone knows anything about this model I'd appreciate it very, very much. Model on the label inside says: S712S
Old 01-23-2020, 12:25 PM

You sure you have that number right? I've never heard of a 12 string "S" model from Takamine.

A quick look on the Takamine site says to contact your local rep if you have questions about their guitars. That's not very helpful but here's the link to figure that part out: https://www.takamine.com/distributors
Old 01-24-2020, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
You sure you have that number right? I've never heard of a 12 string "S" model from Takamine.

A quick look on the Takamine site says to contact your local rep if you have questions about their guitars. That's not very helpful but here's the link to figure that part out: https://www.takamine.com/distributors
Yes, I tried that, but those distributors in the Benelux give the same answers: They are unable to help me because they sold the Jasmine-part. I don't get why they can't even answer a simple question about if this model even exists or not.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:04 AM

Old 01-24-2020, 03:06 AM
Charter Member

Here's one from a couple of years ago on Reverb. Described as made in korea 20+ years ago. Perhaps the pictures will help you or at least reassure you that the model exists i.e. it's not necessarily a fake.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/11331644-...tic-ts7-12s-ns

edit: or perhaps not as you seem to have access to the guitar. What do you need to know that you can't work out from viewing and playing it?
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 01-24-2020, 03:20 AM

Thank you so very much, I was beginning to think this model didn't even exist. Dunno how you did it, because I looked just about everywhere, but again, thanks a million!
Old 01-24-2020, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
Here's one from a couple of years ago on Reverb. Described as made in korea 20+ years ago. Perhaps the pictures will help you or at least reassure you that the model exists i.e. it's not necessarily a fake.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/11331644-...tic-ts7-12s-ns

edit: or perhaps not as you seem to have access to the guitar. What do you need to know that you can't work out from viewing and playing it?
A guy has switched the strings and turned it into a left handed model, but when I ask for information he tells me he bought a few guitars and amps from a company that ran out of business so he doesn't know much about this model at all. I didn't have a clue as to how much it was worth and all that so now I know a bit more and have to decide if I will travel across the country to test this one. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKJ10 View Post
Yes, I tried that, but those distributors in the Benelux give the same answers: They are unable to help me because they sold the Jasmine-part. I don't get why they can't even answer a simple question about if this model even exists or not.
To be fair, from my understanding Takamine sold the Jasmine brand in 2005, and this model does appear to be particularly elusive!

I too found that Reverb sale, but I also come across old auction notices for a couple on UK auction sites, which gave no details of the specifications, and one possible YouTube video. Unfortunately, the owner quotes the serial number but not the model number. A couple of times he shows the label but never long enough or still enough to be absolutely positive what the model number is ( I did get one freeze-frame where I thought I could read 712S but perhaps that was just wishful thinking). Everyone seems agreed that these were made about 20 years ago in Korea. However, this model is not listed in the 1998 edition of the Blue Book.

Looking at archived versions of Kaman and Jasmine guitars websites also proved fruitless. Even the page showing discontinued models did not show this model.
Jasmines seem to get mostly derogatory remarks on the Takamine forum, so no help there.

I can’t find any Jasmine catalogs for this era, and Jasmines were not featured in any Takamine catalogs that I have seen.

Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Regards,
Clive.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotALuth View Post
To be fair, from my understanding Takamine sold the Jasmine brand in 2005, and this model does appear to be particularly elusive!

I too found that Reverb sale, but I also come across old auction notices for a couple on UK auction sites, which gave no details of the specifications, and one possible YouTube video. Unfortunately, the owner quotes the serial number but not the model number. A couple of times he shows the label but never long enough or still enough to be absolutely positive what the model number is ( I did get one freeze-frame where I thought I could read 712S but perhaps that was just wishful thinking). Everyone seems agreed that these were made about 20 years ago in Korea. However, this model is not listed in the 1998 edition of the Blue Book.

Looking at archived versions of Kaman and Jasmine guitars websites also proved fruitless. Even the page showing discontinued models did not show this model.
Jasmines seem to get mostly derogatory remarks on the Takamine forum, so no help there.

I can’t find any Jasmine catalogs for this era, and Jasmines were not featured in any Takamine catalogs that I have seen.

Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Regards,
Clive.
It remains quite a mystery, aparently, how little is known about this particular model. Thanks for your input though!
Old 01-24-2020, 10:48 AM

I have a ~2001 model Jasmine S35. Think I bought it on ebay for under $100 delivered with a (lousy) gig bag, a (lousy) strap, a handful of (lousy) picks and an extra set of (lousy) strings.

It is a heavily-constructed guitar with a weak voice. It comes close to sounding "pretty good" with FRESH strings - but after the new string zing wears off, it sounds weak and dead. But it works. I was an electric only player and bought it to bring camping and beat around with. I played it a lot. Despite zero effort to take good care of it, and having loaned it out to several children to get their first taste of playing guitar, it's still in really good condition.

I got way more than my money's worth. But make no mistake: It is NOT a great guitar.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I have a ~2001 model Jasmine S35. Think I bought it on ebay for under $100 delivered with a (lousy) gig bag, a (lousy) strap, a handful of (lousy) picks and an extra set of (lousy) strings.

It is a heavily-constructed guitar with a weak voice. It comes close to sounding "pretty good" with FRESH strings - but after the new string zing wears off, it sounds weak and dead. But it works. I was an electric only player and bought it to bring camping and beat around with. I played it a lot. Despite zero effort to take good care of it, and having loaned it out to several children to get their first taste of playing guitar, it's still in really good condition.

I got way more than my money's worth. But make no mistake: It is NOT a great guitar.
Thanks, but that's a different model. I had a great 12 string Takamine years ago , can't remember exactly what series though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion