The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
a Blueridge BR-160
Killer loud guitar.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:08 PM

If you are just looking for volume, why not go with a resonator, especially a biscuit single cone with a metal body. They are a favorite of many acoustic bands and buskers, especially if you are playing with any brass players.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
You and Scott Memmer may be on to something here. I am a sucker for epi masterbilts.
Me too. I have 2 of them and they can hold their own when compared to many other guitars as far as looks, build, quality, sound and sound volume are concerned. New or used you can find one under $1,000.00.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:26 PM

Significant loudness to me is an important trait that indicates among othee indicators that the guitar in question is a good guitar.

The loudest and most projecting guitar i have possibly ever played is my Traugott. Sometimes when i play it fingerstyle, the sheer volume is almost painful to my ears.

On the other hand while i do not seem to hear the same projection from my somogyi, its volume is masked by its lushness and it is deceptively loud. I recall the first time i heard it being played by someone else, the notes seemed to jump out and seemed louder than they had a right to be, causing me to turn my head to look.at the guitar with surprise.

Both guitars are braced differently and built according to different methodologies as well as being of different shapes and sizes. The common factor is that both were made by very skilled makers and that factor seems to me to be more important than the size or shape of the guitar.

Last edited by gitarro; 06-19-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
What say you, cool cats?
Buy a used Rhode Island built Guild with an arched back.

The Dreads are seriously undervalued on the used market, and can easily come in under $1K.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 06-19-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
It's occurred to me I am strumming very hard looking for more volume than my guitar is capable of making. Being an avid reader of this forum I have come to learn that I am trying to make my guitar do something it not built for and am overdriving the top of the guitar.
I play an all wood Epiphone dread, Sitka/Mahogany.
What guitar body shapes aside from a dreadnought are inherently loud? Any particular wood combinations specific to big volume? I'd like to stay around a grand all in.
What say you, cool cats?
I own 3 of the loudest guitars I know. All are spruce over rosewood back & sides:
Gibson J200 Jumbo,
Taylor 818e Grand Orchestra,
Taylor 458e-R Grand Orchestra 12 string.

While the Taylors have pick-ups, I'm talking about playing loud only acoustically. Even without picks, (I fingerpick with just my fingernails) all of these can get very loud. But the loudest is easily the 12 string. It actually sounds kind of spooky when I play it loud (and I like to). I tend to play the others more softly because they have the capacity to project all the nuances as I play.

Don

PS> Sorry about the price range thing, but it is what it is.
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 06-19-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:59 PM

In the $1000ish price range, and putting volume at the top of the wish list, I’d venture to guess that an Eastman E10D might be the best bet. They’ve even got a newer E1D for half the price that would likely be in the same ballpark in terms of volume and tone.

In that price range, I’d also encourage you to check out the Yamaha FG800, Taylor 310, and Martin D-15, each of which I think are fantastic guitars for the price point, with the latter two being American-made guitars that are every bit as good as their more expensive siblings.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:59 PM

Your best cheaper options are likely Eastman dreads.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
Your best cheaper options are likely Eastman dreads.
Any loud Eastman’s that are not a dread shape?
Old 06-19-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I play an all wood Epiphone dread, Sitka/Mahogany.
Honestly, you shouldn't be overdriving an all-wood dreadnought built of Sitka/Mahogany. It may be the guitar, I'm not familiar with Epihphone, but I'm wondering what's going on there. Wrong strings? Bad technique? Time to experiment with different picks?

I'm not sure a change in guitars is the solution I'd recommend. (Unless, of course, a Martin dread is in your future. Or a Guild jumbo.) But first, you need to figure out why you're overdriving the guitar you currently play. That's not a good thing, and it's probably wrong to blame it on the guitar.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:35 PM

I'd take a look at Seagull's Performer series. They make a Jumbo and a Cutaway Dread with a flamed maple back. They are built for volume, come with decent on-board electrics and cost new about 700.00. I've had the Dread for a couple of years and it is impressive. Given, the back and sides are layered, but the results are excellent.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 06-19-2018, 08:53 PM

My Yamaha LL16M A.R.E. was the loudest guitar I've ever owned. My Yamaha A5R is pretty loud too.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Any loud Eastman’s that are not a dread shape?
Oh heck yes. My Eastman E10OM is perhaps the loudest guitar I own.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

As a couple of others have suggested, if you are using a thin pick try thicker ones. There is a world difference between a .73 mm (think Fender medium) and 1.2mm. There is a bit of a jump too, I went from .73 to .82 to 1 to 1.2 over time, and am working up to 1.5.

While you are contemplating spending a thousand dollars for a new guitar, swing by your local music shop and spend a couple dollars on a pick variety pack. Then you can think about upgrading to goat whiskey, blue chips and charmed life picks.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 06-19-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Get a gypsy jazz guitar. Louder than all of 'em.
If loud is most important? This.

hunter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion