The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-08-2018, 10:22 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default I'm not liking what I'm hearing...

Is this just a bad recording setup? All other videos of Furch/Stonebridge Guitars have sounded excellent...

Tinny, stringy sound...

As opposed to this.. Rich, full sound...

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-08-2018, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Some of these Furch Stonebridge guitars are HUGE sounding.
There was a boutique guitar shop in town for 3 years and I usually ended up playing the Furch guitars.

Perhaps the first one is new and it needs a year to find its voice?
Old 06-08-2018, 10:31 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
Some of these Furch Stonebridge guitars are HUGE sounding.
There was a boutique guitar shop in town for 3 years and I usually ended up playing the Furch guitars.

Perhaps the first one is new and it needs a year to find its voice?
Maybe, I hope so. Everyone has said the same as you, so I'm thinking it was just a bad recording area. The problem with Furch is that everyone has the same model...

"Sold out"

Hopefully this summer they are back in stock somewhere.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-08-2018, 10:36 PM

Well Barry...

Besides the fact that Dream Guitars has Al Petteway playing, notice the very expensive mic armada at the bottom of the frame in the Dream video, versus the scant set up at Heartbreaker...and again...Al Petteway.

Also...notice in the comments on the Dream video that they mention that they have had several Fruch guitars come through there BUT that one in the video was their fave of all of them.

To be honest...in all of the videos I have heard of the Furch guitars EXCEPT for this DG video, they have sounded on the slightly thin, and very modern side to me. That guitar that Al is playing is truly fantastic, but I have not heard that sound in any of the other videos I have seen/heard...though I have not listened to all that many.

Even on the Furch website, the videos sound like the videos at Heartbreaker...to me...thin, modern...not all that impressive. I would definitely take a Taylor GA or GS over the Furch similar models...if the sound I hear in all the videos except that one Dream Guitars video are close to accurate.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 06-08-2018, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

I think it’s all about the differences in the rooms and the mic placements look totally different.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 06-08-2018, 10:59 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Well Barry...

Even on the Furch website, the videos sound like the videos at Heartbreaker...to me...thin, modern...not all that impressive. I would definitely take a Taylor GA or GS over the Furch similar models...if the sound I hear in all the videos except that one Dream Guitars video are close to accurate.

duff
That's what I've been hearing too. I fell in love with the Furch that Al plays, but on other sites I haven't heard that same sound - sometimes close, but no cigar.

I'm leaning towards the Taylor GA also. The 714ce has simple appointments, wood binding that I like, plays excellent and sounds fine, plus they are more accessible to try out.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-08-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
That's what I've been hearing too. I fell in love with the Furch that Al plays, but on other sites I haven't heard that same sound - sometimes close, but no cigar.

I'm leaning towards the Taylor GA also. The 714ce has simple appointments, wood binding that I like, plays excellent and sounds fine, plus they are more accessible to try out.
And you could even likely choose between the CV AP performance bracing, and the new V Class bracing. If you could get a 714 with a Cedar top and the V Class bracing, that could have some really interesting potential...or the CV AP bracing.

But the V Class bracing...and what it seems to do with the timbre and dynamics of the Taylor voice...paired with a really good resonant cedar or redwood top...really intrigues me. Of course I would want it in the GS body, as I want the bigger, rounder bass response, and the little bit fuller, rounder mids, and trebles.

BTO Barry...BTO: GA 714 series Cedar or Sinker Redwood with EIR or Cocobolo and V-Class bracing

Ya only go round once {;-)

duff

Last edited by mcduffnw; 06-08-2018 at 11:21 PM. Reason: add content
Old 06-08-2018, 11:37 PM

For me the elixirs are what do that to the tone. When my custom came in I thought was a bit tinny. Changed to Nickel Bronze and now DR Rare and it is like a different animal.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

This one is better sounding to me (thumb pick helps some on the bass notes):

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-09-2018, 12:09 AM

I think it’s the recording as they don’t sound thin at all when I’ve played them - the opposite in fact. Have a listen to this G series..
https://youtu.be/UWOVxCkogZo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 06-09-2018, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Maybe, I hope so. Everyone has said the same as you, so I'm thinking it was just a bad recording area. The problem with Furch is that everyone has the same model...

"Sold out"

Hopefully this summer they are back in stock somewhere.

They have restructured the whole range so it might be they had a run on NOS in preparation for delivery of the new models.

We own two (of the older ranges), one millennium and one vintage. They are amazing guitars!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 06-09-2018, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
To be honest...in all of the videos I have heard of the Furch guitars EXCEPT for this DG video, they have sounded on the slightly thin, and very modern side to me. That guitar that Al is playing is truly fantastic, but I have not heard that sound in any of the other videos I have seen/heard...though I have not listened to all that many.
In real life they definitely don't sound thin ... when I've compared like for like body sizes in shops they have almost always been amongst the fullest and richest sounding. For a less modern sounding Furch you should try any of their "Vintage" range. The ones in the videos are from the modern sounding models ... hence the more modern sound.

But really, none of these videos (except maybe Al's) do the real sound any justice.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:16 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
This one is better sounding to me (thumb pick helps some on the bass notes):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I think it’s the recording as they don’t sound thin at all when I’ve played them - the opposite in fact. Have a listen to this G series..
https://youtu.be/UWOVxCkogZo
Yes. I've listened to these a million times. That's the sound I want. Now I'm second guessing myself. Which is the real thing? The first video from my OP or these above?

Well, I guess I could order and then send it back if I don't like it. The path of least resistance is buying a 714 or 514 with cedar or just going with Lutz.

One thing about the first video in the OP is I notice you can hear an echo when the spokesperson speaks. That's unusual for a guitar promo video.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-09-2018, 04:31 AM

Default I'm not liking what I'm hearing...

Although I am not exactly comparing like with like, I do know that my OM34sr can easily hold its own against my Taylor 414 and is richer and louder than my Guild dread. As others have said, it is hard to make any kind of accurate judgement based on online videos, even well recorded ones. If the Furch is speaking to you (as it were) at least as much as the Taylor and you do have a return policy with it then I say go for it. My vintage series OM34sr cured my GAS for a Martin if that tells you anything.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

Last edited by pieterh; 06-09-2018 at 05:37 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:37 AM
Charter Member

I find most Vids on YouTube do not represent the true sound of a guitar. Once you get them in your hands then you feel/hear the full power and/or subtlety. My favorite Furch vids are by this guy. Not nessasarly becuse they are the best recordings (I have heard worse) but because I love his playing

Below this vid is a link to the new Furch line up, from the Furch web site.
Unfortunately, for now, the SGI web site will not be hosting the market place videos, for now.....that might change. There are still some nice guitars up there. But for current inventory one has to check with the Folks at SGI or your favorite dealer

These vids are from Furch. The recordings are Ok. Good speakers or headphones helps
https://m.youtube.com/user/furchpetr/videos
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 06-09-2018 at 05:43 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion