The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2018, 06:31 AM

Default Stirrup capo question

Just came back from DelFest Academy, and all the bluegrass players use a stirrup type capo. It’s really a precision device compared to the spring thingy I use. Elliott is a pricy brand, Paige is less expensive but seems popular. Question is, when not in use the capo stays on, beyond the nut, so does anyone here use one on a D-28? I want to make sure that the brand I buy will not conflict with the volute. It looks like it will.
Thanks.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 05-24-2018, 06:35 AM

I do. When I use my Elliott/Page/... capos, I put them on the nut itself with no issues even on guitar's with a volute. Old wive's tale (nonsense) that you can't. If one can't it simply mean one didn't try hard enough. That said, I have at least 6 different types of capos because of fret-board radius differences and neck profiles. No capo is universal and sometimes the "spring thingy" works as well, or better than, as any other.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:14 AM

I used my M-Elliott with no problem when I had a D-28. Give them a call and they'll make sure you get the correct fit. But I don't usually leave it on the neck, although you certainly can.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-24-2018, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

I find trying to park a stirrup-type capo on or above the nut fiddly, and a bigger nuisance than simply taking it off when I'm not using it, and putting it back on when I need it. I don't want anything on the neck and headstock that's not in active use, so capos and tuners come off when I'm done using them.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-24-2018, 07:38 AM
Guest 1928

I've never liked the the Paige, so they seem to work fine for some people. They feel too springy to me and required too much tightening compared to those with stiffer construction. My personal favorites are Elliott's. They are expensive, but easy to resell if decide you want something else. You might look at Kat-Eyz too, also handmade and lightweight. I use both brands, and a few others....

Here's how an Elliott Elite fits on my HD-28LSV. It will not pass the neck diamond, but it does not interfere with my playing when parked like this.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
I've never liked the the Paige, so they seem to work fine for some people. They feel too springy to me and required too much tightening compared to those with stiffer construction. My personal favorites are Elliott's. They are expensive, but easy to resell if decide you want something else. You might look at Kat-Eyz too, also handmade and lightweight. I use both brands, and a few others....

Here's how an Elliott Elite fits on my HD-28LSV. It will not pass the neck diamond, but it does not interfere with my playing when parked like this.

These are excellent answers. Ordering a Paige today, but I won’t retire the spring thingy yet. I use it as a Foote capo, which can’t be done with the stirrup type. Thanks, gentlemen.
1997 Martin CEO-1R
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Old 05-24-2018, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

If I recall correctly (I no longer own a guitar with a volute), Paige's will fit over the volute. I've never had an Elliot. I did buy the G7th heritage and I remember it wouldn't fit over the volute, but might have been able to do what Buck posted.

Some guitars
Old 05-24-2018, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

I have the G7th Traditional, and it will not pass over the volute. However it does position the same as the photo above and does not interfere with my playing.

hth

D
Old 05-24-2018, 09:07 AM

I have a Paige that I only use when going to jams or playing live somewhere so it can be moved above the nut when not needed but kept handy on the guitar when needed quickly. At home I never leave it on the guitar. I use my Shubb mostly at home so I can take it off and put it on a table within reach when I need it. The Paige is somewhat difficult to keep taking on and off and the Shubb is much quicker to use in this case.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 05-24-2018, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

With a capo angled so aggressively towards the back of the neck, I'd be concerned with it being in the way when making a barred F chord or playing on the first fret.

I use a G7 for bluegrass jams and just take it on and off as needed. I wear a shirt with a pocket and just slip it in there when not in use.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:40 AM

I haves Paiges & an Elliot. The Elliot works on my 28-style guitars as Todd indicated. Paiges work on my Martin, not so well on the Collings. Has less to do w/the volute, more about the headstock shape. The Elliot has more clearance inside the yoke. Have not tried the G7, Shubb or D'Addario yoke styles.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:29 AM

I recently acquired the Planet Waves model and appreciate it's form and function. The narrow footprint and low profile make it unobtrusive and keeps it out of the hand's way. It won't clear the volute on one of my guitars but will on another. Generally though it will be on a non-volute guitar most of the time. It doesn't allow easy hanging in an Hercules stand, but there's a work-around for that.
It was roughly $70Cdn but should be worth it. As a long time Shubb user I'm accustomed to good quality so I hope this one measures up.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:36 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
With a capo angled so aggressively towards the back of the neck, I'd be concerned with it being in the way when making a barred F chord or playing on the first fret.
The closeup may be deceiving. It does not overhang the playing surface much at all. Notice that first fret doesn't appear in that photo, so there is a lot of open real estate there.

It does not get in the way of my barre chords. I generally avoid them entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I use a G7 for bluegrass jams and just take it on and off as needed. I wear a shirt with a pocket and just slip it in there when not in use.
Just remember all pockets are not the same. I've seen a fair number of things dumped out of shirt pockets onto guitar tops.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the great responses. My new Paige capo came the other day and as you guys said, it fits fine over my volute. I leave it parked on the neck outside or on top of the nut, even in the case. No interference with the left hand whatsoever while playing. It looks and feels a little flexible compared to an Elliott. As I have a lot of guitars and like to keep a tuner and capo in each case, perhaps I will buy an Elliot next. None of my other guitars have a volute so there should be no further issues.
1997 Martin CEO-1R
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Old 06-09-2018, 10:35 AM

I use the standard Paige capo (not the Clik) with my D-28 and it slides just above the nut when not in use. The capo needs to be fully "open" and just slides back with enough clearance on the nut onto the neck when needed.

Works great for me!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion