The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2017, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Question Switching from D18-GE to a dread with rosewood??

I'm considering switching from a 2009 Martin D18-GE to a dread with rosewood back and sides due to my tonal preference. I will make every effort to play each of my candidates but would love opinions. So far I am considering the following:

Martin HD-28V
Eastman E20D-TC
Furch D33
Collings D2H (if I could find one under 2500)

What should I add to the list? For those that have played some, or all, of these guitars, what are you thoughts? Everyone described sound differently...but I really want a sweet almost "sticky" sounding warm dread.

A sincere thanks for responses!

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-19-2017 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Edited terminology
Old 10-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Being a Mahogany fan, that would not be a move I would make, but there is no right or wrong. Just a matter of preference.

Between the guitars listed, no question... I would prefer the Collings... and then the Martin.

I wish you luck in the hunt. Welcome to the AGF!
Old 10-19-2017, 08:50 AM

My recommendation is to keep the D-18GE, if you can. It's largely considered one of the best models Martin makes. Being recently discontinued, the value may increase slightly.
And, if you can afford it, I would simply add the Eastman E20D TC. It's also an excellent guitar, but at a more modest cost. The D-18GE has an Adirondack top like the Eastman. The others have Sitka, if I'm not mistaken. If you really don't like the Mahogany back and sides, consider the D-28 Marquis, which is the same guitar with East Indian Rosewood. I own one, and it is exactly what you describe you are looking for. But, it is outside of your budget. Maybe there is a member here, or on the UMGF, who would be interested in trading the D-18GE for the D-28 Marquis?

Last edited by martingitdave; 10-19-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:51 AM

If you can find a 2015 Gibson Advanced Jumbo Luthier's Choice, I would most definitely go for it. Mine is such an incredible guitar. Red spruce on Indian with hide glue. It's really something else...
Old 10-19-2017, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Kerbie and Dave, thank you for the responses. Patience is not my greatest attribute but I certainly don't want to make a rash decision and regret selling my golden era. It's a good one.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:57 AM

I also prefer the tone of rosewood over mahogany!

With sooo many fine, high quality rosewood guitars on the market, I have to wonder how you compiled a list with only four guitars on it?

Unless you arrived at your list by nailing down features you want and only those 4 met your criteria, I think you'd be best off to forget the headstock and just get your hands on (and play) a whole bunch of different guitars.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjewell View Post
If you can find a 2015 Gibson Advanced Jumbo Luthier's Choice, I would most definitely go for it. Mine is such an incredible guitar. Red spruce on Indian with hide glue. It's really something else...
Thanks. I'll have to check the Gibson out.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I also prefer the tone of rosewood over mahogany!

With sooo many fine, high quality rosewood guitars on the market, I have to wonder how you compiled a list with only four guitars on it?
Great question! Aesthetically I love the look of the simplified rectangular headstock. Though I am less concerned with what name is on that simple headstock. To each their own. I also would not want to spend more than I was able to sell the GE for. I'm sure there are many others I should be considering though.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
My recommendation is to keep the D-18GE, if you can. It's largely considered one of the best models Martin makes. Being recently discontinued, the value may increase slightly.
And, if you can afford it, I would simply add the Eastman E20D TC. It's also an excellent guitar, but at a more modest cost. The D-18GE has an Adirondack top like the Eastman. The others have Sitka, if I'm not mistaken.
^^^^^This.

I had a stable of high end Martin dreads, the D-18GE was actually the least expensive one I owned. But when arthritis moved me to smaller body models I kept the GE until the bitter end, moving guitar 2-3 times it's price without blinking an eye.

Here's where I disagree with some Martin owners, I think the best GE's can hold their own with "some" Authentics, and I own an Authentic.

To me, if someone had two guitars, one should be mahogany and one rosewood, they complement each other, they make you appreciate the strengths/weaknesses of each other.

Of you list I really like HD-28V's, I actually had it "paired" with my D-18GE, both are great guitars.

Follow your ears, not mine or some other stranger, but I can say consider keeping the GE and adding the rosewood model of your choice when it's right. Lifetime Martin-ite, GE's/Authentic's are Nazareth's finest IMHO, you have a fine guitar, be sure before you let it go. Best of luck.......

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 10-19-2017, 09:03 AM

Yairi DYMR70SB. Give one a try if you can, wonderful guitar.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Maybe there is a member here, or on the UMGF, who would be interested in trading the D-18GE for the D-28 Marquis?
Hmmm...where is the OP located?
Old 10-19-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfoutz View Post
...but I really want a sweet almost "sticky" sounding warm dread.
Can't say your description sounds particularly appetizing, but I think I know what you mean. As long as you're considering a used Collings, you should also check out Bourgeois rosewood dreads. They're typically richer/warmer and -- yeah -- "sweet" compared to Collings.

For example, I was playing my Bourgeois Signature D last night and my wife made me promise never to sell it -- she loves the rich tone.

But if you can swing keeping the D-18 and complement it with a rosewood dread, that would be ideal.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
And, if you can afford it, I would simply add the Eastman E20D TC. It's also an excellent guitar, but at a more modest cost. The D-18GE has an Adirondack top like the Eastman. The others have Sitka, if I'm not mistaken. If you really don't like the Mahogany back and sides, consider the D-28 Marquis, which is the same guitar with East Indian Rosewood. I own one, and it is exactly what you describe you are looking for. But, it is outside of your budget. Maybe there is a member here, or on the UMGF, who would be interested in trading the D-18GE for the D-28 Marquis?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
^^^^^This.

I had a stable of high end Martin dreads, the D-18GE was actually the least expensive one I owned. But when arthritis moved me to smaller body models I kept the GE until the bitter end, moving guitar 2-3 times it's price without blinking an eye.

Here's where I disagree with some Martin owners, I think the best GE's can hold their own with "some" Authentics, and I own an Authentic.

To me, if someone had two guitars, one should be mahogany and one rosewood, they complement each other, they make you appreciate the strengths/weaknesses of each other.

Of you list I really like HD-28V's, I actually had it "paired" with my D-18GE, both are great guitars.

Follow your ears, not mine or some other stranger, but I can say consider keeping the GE and adding the rosewood model of your choice when it's right. Lifetime Martin-ite, GE's/Authentic's are Nazareth's finest IMHO, you have a fine guitar, be sure before you let it go. Best of luck.......
+1 and +1 again!! ...good advice from musicians with a lot real experience.

* I prefer mahogany dreads, but in rosewood I've had a lotta love for the HD28 especially the 28V, just an outstanding model imo. If you are able to keep both, you'll have the best of both worlds. Your ears & hands win

noledog
Old 10-19-2017, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Guys, specific offers to buy/sell/trade must take place in the Classifieds... not here. Thank you.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:43 AM

DO NOT SELL YOUR GE. It’s one of Martins best models. You’ll regret it and the market is flooded with NOS GE’s so you’ll get crushed on the sale.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d18ge, dread, eastman, furch, rosewood