The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2017, 10:43 AM

I got sick of worrying about overhead space, boarding early, getting gate checked even if I buy a seat if the flight is oversold etc...

I just got a decent case and check it. Hiscox Pro II for my dreadnought.

Of course I never travel with a guitar that isn't insured worldwide.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticAmber View Post
...it must have been cranky staff on my experiences...
Yipes, AA your experiences don't sound encouraging. Wonder if your experiences were outliers, or if the famed guitar-friendly Southwest is slipping in that area and most of us are just riding on their past (outstanding) performance as a musician-friendly airline. I appreciate your follow-up post. Let's collectively see if they are changing their ways or not...
Old 04-16-2017, 10:53 AM

Thanks for this post. I've been thinking of traveling with a guitar, but didn't know what was involved.

Treble Clef
Old 04-16-2017, 07:51 PM

I, too, have had the opposite experience, albeit with a much more limited sample size. Southwest was great -- no problem getting an OM in a Hiscox case onboard and overhead, both times on full flights with an early B boarding pass. United let it on board once and made me gate check it twice. Seemed totally arbitrary, as all three flights were full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2017, 08:12 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Count me among the many who have had nothing but great experiences traveling with guitars - from OMs to dreads - on Southwest. Just pay that little extra to board early so there is still plenty of room in the bins. No problem.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 04-16-2017, 08:49 PM

Have to admit that, because of an injury, I did not fly at all in 2016...I certainly HOPE SWA hasn't changed its policy on guitars.

Anyone else out there recently flown SWA with a guitar? I'd sure like to find if what happened to the OP is a blip or a change of policy.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Have to admit that, because of an injury, I did not fly at all in 2016...I certainly HOPE SWA hasn't changed its policy on guitars.

Anyone else out there recently flown SWA with a guitar? I'd sure like to find if what happened to the OP is a blip or a change of policy.
I flew Southwest three weeks ago. The flight was full. I didn't pay extra for early boarding. I was number 2 in boarding group B. I was allowed on board with an OM in a Hiscox Pro II case without any comment from anyone. It went overhead no problem.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:28 AM

Default Airplane travel with a guitar

I don't think most of our bad experiences r due to policy but rather prob local gate agent whims.

Other considerations include which equipment u r flying on. The newer Delta planes from LA to east have smaller than usual buckets not typical overheads. The buckets r too small for a full length guitar. We successfully request they standup the guitar in closet usually reserved for flight attendants.
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 04-17-2017, 11:22 AM

I'm in Barcelona typing this with kudos to British Air. US to London, my Emerald went overhead without a peep from check-in through the cabin crew. London to Paris, I was on and putting it in an overhead when a cabin crew member very politely asked me if I would mind if they stowed it on board. I think if I'd declined they would not have made it an issue. Of course, I said that was fine. They stuck it in one of those closets near the front of the plane and had it back out and held it for me to grab on my way out of the aircraft.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handers View Post
...... We successfully request they standup the guitar in closet usually reserved for flight attendants.
Flying domestically around the USA, I have not seen a flight attendant closet that is big enough for most full size guitars.

When a closet even exists, it is half-height and useful for hanging jackets or sweaters.

One time, I was able to store a banjo in that closet when I asked, but it was only grudgingly shared. I'm not sure that I realized, until then, that the attendants have their own luggage woes to deal with. I don't ask for that space anymore.

I bought a VoyageAir folding guitar that is designed to fit in the overhead like the traditional carryon luggage that other passengers bring.

It seems to me that this is the most fair-to-all way for the guitarist to travel with an instrument AND have it in the main cabin space during travel.

I'm increasingly uncomfortable trying to find a reasonable defensive position to take for insisting that my full size guitar deserves an exception to airline luggage policies.

I'll appreciate if ya'll don't shoot me for suggesting you buy a travel guitar. I know not everyone wants one, or can afford one.

A question worth asking is: what are the negative consequences of leaving my guitar at home?

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 04-17-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
I'm increasingly uncomfortable trying to find a reasonable defensive position to take for insisting that my full size guitar deserves an exception to airline luggage policies.
IMO the wisest sentence in this thread thus far.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:43 PM

I fly United 99% of the time, generally travel with Jumbo, no issues to date. There has been the odd time I have had to gate check it but it has never ben an issue. Even the regional jets it has worked out fine.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:59 PM

I visit my son's family in Florida 2 or 3 times a year, for a month or more at a time. I want the guitar which I most enjoy playing with me. It's full sized.

If airlines would demonstrate more responsibility when guitars or other instruments are checked, there would be less reason to want to carry the guitar on. Actually, I would find it more convenient to check my guitar rather than having to drag it around the airport with me. Taking it into the restroom? Not fun.

Twice in recent years, once having carried the guitar on, once traveling without it, I've had my checked luggage not show up on the carousel. Was invited to look through all the unclaimed, misrouted bags that were standing outside the baggage office. Hate to think of a guitar case standing there unmonitored. I was advised to wait around because my bags might come in on the next flight. Both times I did wait, and one of those times they did show up. The other time they didn't and had to be delivered to my home the next day. It was bad enough being in suspense about whether my clothes and personal items would be returned. I'd not like to be in suspense about whether or not my guitar would show up.

As for gate checking - might stand a better chance of the guitar making it at the same time I do, though maybe not. I nearly always have to change planes. Regardless, I recently picked someone up from the airport. While we were waiting for his luggage, I noticed a panel slide open near the carousel. An airport worker set 2 guitars down on the floor, slid the panel closed. I assumed they'd been gate checked. Those guitars still hadn't been claimed by the time we left. Anyone could've picked them up and strolled nonchalantly out the door. Not like an airport worker is there checking luggage tags.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 04-17-2017, 04:22 PM

There are just too many stories out there, not of airline or TSA policy being the determining factor in getting your guitar on board, but the whim and TSA or airline "rule interpretation" -- but mostly whim, I think -- of the gate agent or attendant. It all just seems like a roll of the dice; the potential damage or loss is just too scary for me. The Blackbird Rider was my solution.

Good luck to EVERYone traveling with a guitar.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 04-17-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
...Anyone else out there recently flown SWA with a guitar? I'd sure like to find if what happened to the OP is a blip or a change of policy.
Played in Phoenix a few weeks ago and flew SW both ways without incident.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
airlines, carry on, gs mini, plane, travel