The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-01-2015, 01:57 PM

Default Which Furch/Stonebridge(/old Stanford) body shape is your favourite?

Hi guys, thinking of getting one of these after exams. For anyone who has owned, heard or played a Furch made guitar, which body shape is your favourite or how would you describe each of them tonally? One I have a particular interest are their roundshoulder dreads- any feedback/experience on them?

Josh
Old 05-02-2015, 06:54 AM

Default Which Furch/Stonebridge(/old Stanford) body shape is your favourite?

Furch do a lovely range of OM style guitars. We have the flame maple and spruce version of the OM23. At Musikmesse in Frankfurt I played the rosewood version as well as a cedar topped GA equivalent which was also great. The nut width is slightly narrower than eg a regular Martin OM (which is why I personally prefer the OOO models). All Furch guitars I have tried (and I have tried quite a few!) have been excellent guitars. I would go as far as to say they are like Taylor quality but at European prices, ie ca 60% for comparable models - say, our OM23SF compared to a Taylor 612.

I haven't tried the round shoulder dreads but I would assume without hesitation that they are going to be great guitars!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-02-2015, 07:08 AM

I'm after an OOM 12-fret... I have an OM CM which I love. Their Dreadnoughts are equally lovely, but I've gone off playing them as I prefer a smaller size guitar at the moment.

After talking to Richard at Richard's Guitars (main UK Furch dealer and all-round good guy), and asking about a Cedar top OOM 12-fret with a 1 7/8" neck, he's asking Furch if they'll make one...

Their current OOMs are only in Spruce top, as opposed to cedar.

That's what I call service

Comfy '07 Stonebridge OMS-22-CM for enjoying; Thumpy '93 Seagull S6 for thwacking on; Mellifluous '66 S.Yairi for being nylon on.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by state-it View Post
I'm after an OOM 12-fret... I have an OM CM which I love. Their Dreadnoughts are equally lovely, but I've gone off playing them as I prefer a smaller size guitar at the moment.

After talking to Richard at Richard's Guitars (main UK Furch dealer and all-round good guy), and asking about a Cedar top OOM 12-fret with a 1 7/8" neck, he's asking Furch if they'll make one...

Their current OOMs are only in Spruce top, as opposed to cedar.

That's what I call service
Keep us posted with your progress.

Will they use a wider string spacing if they build a guitar with the wider nut?
Old 05-02-2015, 01:21 PM

I love OM Shape in general especialy the vintage line, through the 23 and 24 sf (millenium line) seem to be very cool. I have also tried a 00 12 fret Shape which was sounding great and a dread (D32sr), very cool guitar, but I still prefer their OM, as an Om has better projection, is more focused and sound more acurate and balanced, for both strumming and Fingerstyle, but also lead.

Furch OM 32 SM
Cordoba Maple Fusion 14
Jackson US Soloist
Esp Horizon NT-2
Old 05-02-2015, 01:33 PM

From all the Furch models ive played, and ive played everyone of them living in Prague the OM models grabbed me the most.

Havent played a round shoulder dread, speaking to the local guys they are not popular and made only as a custom job.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 05-05-2015, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the responses guys, interesting to see that so far a number of you like the OMs quite a bit. How would you personally describe their tone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
From all the Furch models ive played, and ive played everyone of them living in Prague the OM models grabbed me the most.

Havent played a round shoulder dread, speaking to the local guys they are not popular and made only as a custom job.
Is this because they don't seem to be as good as the rest of them or because it's a relatively new development from the Furch guys and so it hasn't quite hit the market yet? Looking at their dimensions, all they've seemed to have done is rounded the shoulders while the size, waist, and lower bout all stay the same. If I understand correctly aren't most slopes a tad larger than squares or at least have something else different about them apart from the shoulders?
Old 05-05-2015, 03:52 PM

Lack of interest from what Ive been told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepokemon View Post
Thanks for the responses guys, interesting to see that so far a number of you like the OMs quite a bit. How would you personally describe their tone?

Is this because they don't seem to be as good as the rest of them or because it's a relatively new development from the Furch guys and so it hasn't quite hit the market yet? Looking at their dimensions, all they've seemed to have done is rounded the shoulders while the size, waist, and lower bout all stay the same. If I understand correctly aren't most slopes a tad larger than squares or at least have something else different about them apart from the shoulders?
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 05-05-2015, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Love the grand auditorium
Old 05-05-2015, 04:05 PM

I own a D35ASR, and a S22CM.

That's a Dreadnought and a Super Jumbo.

REALLY REALLY REALLY GREAT!

Haven't played any model that's not great. I think though that I like the bigger bodied guitars.

I might be looking for an OM soon though to RETRY them out. I have been kind of a Big body snob.

I'm ready to branch out though.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepokemon View Post
The tone depends much on the tonewoods used, anyway in a general manner I would say they are very responsive and have plenty of volume, projection and sustain.

The OM 32SM (sitka/mahogany) sounds full, woody, not dull but not to bright either, very balanced, it has more volume than many of my students dreads, and is very nervous an responsive, a real joy to play.

The OM35SR ( sitka/rosewood) I tried had plenty of volume too, very strong bass register too for an OM, a deep and dark sound, tons of harmonics, lot of sustain.

I don't like their cedar top guitar that much, but this is totally personnal as I'm not a cedar guy, but many love them.

A friend of mine tried an OM 24SF (sitka/maple) at their showroom at Brno a few days ago and told me it was an absolute killer, he described it saying it sounded like amplified, though it was not, not realy sure what he meant with that, but he sure loved it.

Furch OM 32 SM
Cordoba Maple Fusion 14
Jackson US Soloist
Esp Horizon NT-2
Old 05-05-2015, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

I was in Brno last summer and spent the day at th furch shop (after visiting the factory). I played every guitar that was on display. All of them sounded fantastic. They did not have the slope shoulder yet in production.

It was a tough call but after I Ordered a cedar/hog G22, I wound up canceling the order because I found a D32LM in the states that took my breath away ( and it still does).

I will add that Furch are the most consistent of all the makers I have had the pleasure of playing.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-05-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
I was in Brno last summer and spent the day at th furch shop (after visiting the factory). I played every guitar that was on display. All of them sounded fantastic. They did not have the slope shoulder yet in production.

It was a tough call but after I Ordered a cedar/hog G22, I wound up canceling the order because I found a D32LM in the states that took my breath away ( and it still does).

I will add that Furch are the most consistent of all the makers I have had the pleasure of playing.

Did you try any maple back and sides? Haven't had the opportunity to try any yet

Furch OM 32 SM
Cordoba Maple Fusion 14
Jackson US Soloist
Esp Horizon NT-2
Old 05-06-2015, 09:46 AM

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...psoqywzom6.jpg

Tone - delicious
Volume - Loud

This is an OM35SR made in March this year .
Old 05-06-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgedeA View Post
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...psoqywzom6.jpg

Tone - delicious
Volume - Loud

This is an OM35SR made in March this year .
Certainly looks the part too!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
furch, round shoulder, slope shoulder, stanford, stonebridge