The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2014, 08:31 AM

Default GS Mini Setup Question

Has anyone ever had their GS Mini professionally set up by a tech?

I want mine doing as I have done my other guitars but heard it can't be done properly because of the Taylor NT neck.

I also have the mini with the es-t under saddle pickup in and don't want this being compromised as I need it to gig with.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:33 AM

You heard incorrectly - the Taylor NT neck makes neck resetting an ease and it is what is used on the 300 series on up. The GS Mini can be setup like any other guitar.

Is the action too high for you? Is it a high nut, saddle or both?
Old 04-20-2014, 08:42 AM

Yes I'd like action lower, was concerned that doing this could affect the under saddle pickup as I know they can be temperamental.

Thanks for clearing up the neck question though
Old 04-20-2014, 09:21 AM

Default GS Mini setup

I bought a new GS Mini a couple of months ago, on a Saturday night, and come Monday morning it was at the luthier's getting a string change (to Martin custom light .11's) and the setup adjusted to take out some of the ultra-conservative antibuzzing string height. Nut slots were filed and truss rod cranked a bit. I am delighted with the results. Much happier feel to fingering. I suspect Taylor sets the Minis up with 'medium' strings and at the high end of acceptable string height so as to make as much volume as possible, to convince the skeptics. But to me the original strings felt like baling wire. I have the friendly feel and light touch I wanted. Well worth the cost. I could have easily swapped the strings myself; I left it to the luthier to do as part of the setup package, so he'd manage the whole task on a new instrument. And I walked away with my shiny new guitar playing just as well as it could for me.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
I want mine doing as I have done my other guitars but heard it can't be done properly because of the Taylor NT neck.
Completely the opposite. The NT neck makes it easy to set up - you just need the shims.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-20-2014, 10:15 AM

Taylor's NT neck is kind of a catch 22 when it comes to a set up. They discourage saddle and nut modifications because action is set in the neck angle by shims. However, a tech or luthier, let alone the guitar owner, can't get the shims unless they are certified by Taylor to work on their guitars. The closest certified tech to me is about 20 miles away and is booked for weeks because he works on other guitars besides Taylor. So, if I want to lower my action quickly, I either have to do the work myself, take it to an uncertified tech/luthier, or wait.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:41 AM

Cheers guys. I'm don't have a certified taylor tech close by. The guy I use is really good will ask him if he has the shims if not I'll leave it alone!
Old 04-20-2014, 11:21 AM

Does it have any neck bow? Try pressing low E string at first and 14th fret at the same time and eyeball the distance between the top of 6th fret and bottom of the string. If there is bow, tightening the rod will straighten the neck and lower the action a little. Mine had some bow out of the box. I tightened the rod to make the neck just a hair shy of arrow straight. I plan to slightly lower action at the nut. After that I expect to get (for me) perfect action. I prefer lower action as I fret and pick strings lightly.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:35 AM

Forget fooling around with Taylor's shims for a "normal" action adjustment. Adjust the action height in the conventional way; it's a lot easier and faster. Down the road when/if you need a neck reset, that's the time for shim changes/easy/painless neck reset.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoMike View Post
Forget fooling around with Taylor's shims for a "normal" action adjustment. Adjust the action height in the conventional way; it's a lot easier and faster. Down the road when/if you need a neck reset, that's the time for shim changes/easy/painless neck reset.
That is reasonable if you have a glued on neck. Not a bolt-on neck which makes neck adjustments trivial.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-20-2014, 12:18 PM

I didn't have my Mini set up because I liked the setup when I bought it. But if I did it would have been a piece of cake.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
I didn't have my Mini set up because I liked the setup when I bought it. But if I did it would have been a piece of cake.
I've played many and owned two. Never needed a change from factory as they were all perfect.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
I bought a new GS Mini a couple of months ago, on a Saturday night, and come Monday morning it was at the luthier's getting a string change (to Martin custom light .11's) and the setup adjusted to take out some of the ultra-conservative antibuzzing string height. Nut slots were filed and truss rod cranked a bit. I am delighted with the results. Much happier feel to fingering. I suspect Taylor sets the Minis up with 'medium' strings and at the high end of acceptable string height so as to make as much volume as possible, to convince the skeptics. But to me the original strings felt like baling wire. I have the friendly feel and light touch I wanted. Well worth the cost. I could have easily swapped the strings myself; I left it to the luthier to do as part of the setup package, so he'd manage the whole task on a new instrument. And I walked away with my shiny new guitar playing just as well as it could for me.
How does is feel with 11s? I am thinking of getting a GS-Mini, but I normally use 12s on my other acoustics. I thought with the shorter scale length of the Mini, I would go UP to 13s to maintain similar tension.

I am intrigued to hear how going to lighter strings would feel on it...
▌····║··(░)▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█████··
▐·······▄▄··▄▌··········ΦΦΦ···
·▀▀▄▄▄▀▀··▀▀··················
······························

» My name is Devan
» Guitar and Personal Blog.
» Guitar and Gear Review Site.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:02 AM

I have a light touch and I found the factory setup for my GS Mini too tough with 13s and the action set too high for me. I got a pro setup done on mine by a guy with a long standing excellent reputation. Not quite sure what he did, but I do know it plays like a dream now. I also had him put on Elixir PB 12s which suits me just fine and as far as I'm concerned hasn't affected the tone hardly at all.

I'm not sure sure I'd go any lighter on string guage as already with the short scale there's a bit of play/less tension and the strings might feel too loose with anything lighter. Also if you wanted to tune it out of standard again I feel it might be too loose. I can't imagine anyone needing to go any lighter. I also think it might then also affect the tone going too light.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:17 AM

I shaved a little off of the saddle on my Mini. No problems and it sounds great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gs mini, taylor