The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Default The Official GS Mini Upgrades / Mods / Customizations Thread

I spent a couple of hours last night digging for a thread that was dedicated to any and all modifications/upgrades done to Taylor's GS Mini. I came up empty-handed, so here it is!

In my search, I did stumble across some pretty cool mods that forum members either did themselves or had done professionally, but I thought it'd be nice to have a centralized location for these posts especially given the popularity of the guitar. It would serve as a great resource to people like me who just bought a GS Mini and are interested in tweaking it a bit. I love to see the potential of these little guitars. Right off the bat, I know I'd like to replace the fret markers with abalone. I got that idea from a post I saw on here last night - which lead to this very thread.

So, do you have a GS Mini? Have you done any upgrades on it? Did you do the work yourself? Was it hard? Pictures, instructions, sites for reference, YouTube videos, sound clips, etc. are all a huge plus. Looking forward to seeing your souped up GSM's!

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 03-20-2014, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

This is perfect timing - my GS Mini mahogany is being delivered next week, and I've already been thinking about what to do with it. Looking forward to ideas - thanks for starting this!
Old 03-20-2014, 12:12 PM

I thought that this thread was done before but I will be watching this one with interest too. I'd like to see a 1 3/4" conversion mod myself!
Warwick Thumb Bass
Old 03-20-2014, 12:12 PM

I haven't done anything to my Mini but this seems like a great idea for a thread.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcameron View Post
This is perfect timing - my GS Mini mahogany is being delivered next week, and I've already been thinking about what to do with it. Looking forward to ideas - thanks for starting this!
My pleasure. I've quickly come to learn that there are some very creative people on this forum and I want to steal ALL of their ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubz View Post
I thought that this thread was done before but I will be watching this one with interest too. I'd like to see a 1 3/4" conversion mod myself!
I found a couple that were *kind of* similar, but nothing official...so I thought to myself, "Self? You should make an official one."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I haven't done anything to my Mini but this seems like a great idea for a thread.
Ditto. Let the ideas start pouring in...

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 03-20-2014, 12:35 PM

I recall seeing posts about people who have changed the tuners and bridge pins. The only mod I've done is to install the ES-go pickup. Like others, I have the problem with the buzzing. I've heard I can contact Taylor for a kit to fix the issue.... some have said they got it for free, others have said Taylor charges llike $20 for it. But I haven't been bothered to use it plugged in lately, so I haven't bothered to try getting it fixed.

I also bought some fretboard inlays for it (search the forum... it was a big topic last year). I just haven't installed them yet. I've also thought about buying a new truss rod cover for it, but have yet to find one I really like yet.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:55 PM

Has anyone swapped out their standard pickguard for a wooden one?

If so, is it still possible to remove a pickguard after several years, or is it something that has to be done when it is new? Just curious.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 03-20-2014, 01:06 PM

I went ahead and fitted some nice ebony pins with a MOP dot.

I carried out ALL the work myself.

Oh yeah, I've ditched the ES Go and have a JJB (claimed to equal a K&K Mini) under bridge p/up waiting for me to get around to it ...

Have a look at this page: http://jjb-electronics.com/prestige-330.html They do a GS Mini style jack, which I have bought.

Anyone else in UK thinking about one of these should just go ahead. Mine arrived inside a week, no revenue to pay.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

So, I wrote the abalone fret marker upgrade-thingy. I won't rehash it but here is the link.

I had also replaced the bridge pins with matching abalone dot one and made a custom body-matching truss rod cover.

I sold that GS Mini and am hoping to pick up a mahogany one once my 1967 melody maker sells.

On that one I intend to:
  • install a clear pickguard
  • replace the nut and saddle with aged tusq
  • replace the plastic fret markers with abalone (again)
  • replace the tuners with open back vintage-look

And the big thing I want to do is to replace the plastic headstock overlay with a wood one. That's pretty invasive and I haven't figured out where to get one with the Taylor logo on it. I am hoping top find a snapped neck that I can scavenge the laminate from.

My goal is to get a mahogany GS Mini and remove all the chincy plastic and give it a vintage parlor guitar flavor.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-20-2014, 01:27 PM

Given that a GS Mini exposed to sunlight quickly starts to darken, (My three year old spruce top is nearly the colour of my Martin with the ageing toner now).

I did have a crazy idea of creating a sunburst finish by masking off the centre of the top and hitting it with a UV lamp.
It might be possible to create the fade-in using some bunched net material, which you'd have to move around to not cause a sharp tan line.

OK. OK ... Like I said, crazy idea.
Probably better to get someone to spray it. (But would this kill tone?)

I think the lovely curvy, round-bottomed shape of the Mini would really lend itself to a glossy Gibsonesque 'burst.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
So, I wrote the abalone fret marker upgrade-thingy. I won't rehash it but here is the link.

I had also replaced the bridge pins with matching abalone dot one and made a custom body-matching truss rod cover.

I sold that GS Mini and am hoping to pick up a mahogany one once my 1967 melody maker sells.

On that one I intend to:
  • install a clear pickguard
  • replace the nut and saddle with aged tusq
  • replace the plastic fret markers with abalone (again)
  • replace the tuners with open back vintage-look

And the big thing I want to do is to replace the plastic headstock overlay with a wood one. That's pretty invasive and I haven't figured out where to get one with the Taylor logo on it. I am hoping top find a snapped neck that I can scavenge the laminate from.

My goal is to get a mahogany GS Mini and remove all the chincy plastic and give it a vintage parlor guitar flavor.
Yes, it was your post! Awesome. I checked out the abalone on eBay; it's like $6 for a set. I'm a bit nervous to do it on my own, though. I can't believe how much of a difference it made in the look of the guitar.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 03-20-2014, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Yes, it was your post! Awesome. I checked out the abalone on eBay; it's like $6 for a set. I'm a bit nervous to do it on my own, though. I can't believe how much of a difference it made in the look of the guitar.
The materials are very cheap and I was nervous at first because its a very invasive project.

But, it really is pretty easy. A couple things I noticed:

- I had access to a precision 5mm DIA diamond core drill (leftover from our factory) so I was able to clean up the hole very nicely by just using it by hand as a small reamer. A cheap router bit could work too.

The glue in the bottom is never level. Ever. Best bet is to put excess glue in, let it ooze out the sides and clean it up.

Don't go too deep with the holes. If you put a new dot in and the hole is too deep you have to destroy the dot to get it out.

Leave enough dot sticking above the wood.

Scrape the dots to flush with a single edge razor blade. Don't sand like I did.

Next time I do it, I will fill the bottom of the hole with ebony dust+CA, then level the hole nicer.

The dots are so cheap, you can buy some and drill holes and do a practice install on a 2x4.

There are four parts to this project
  1. getting the old dots out
  2. making the holes clean and level in preparation
  3. gluing the new dots in
  4. leveling the new dots

Step 1 is easier than you think, but leaves some plastic mess behind.

Step 3 is trivial

Step 4 is very easy

All the magic happens in step 2. You need the hole to be the right diameter but clean, without oversizing it. The hole has to be the right depth. Etcetera.

If you approach it with that in mind, its actually an easy little project.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:11 PM

Got my Mini last week and am enjoying its unique voice. I'd like to add some more interesting and colorful bridge pins. Any suggestions about what to get and where to get them?

And -- thanks for this neat on-going thread!
Old 03-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

I took my 614 and my B-2 to the shop tonight for a "check up" and, for poops and giggles, I asked how much it'd be to have the fret markers replaced on my GS Mini. The luthier said $25/marker. YIKES. That's almost half the cost of the guitar. Looks like I'll opt to do it myself!

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 03-20-2014, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

One thing to note: the standard bridge pins do not fit the GS Mini and they only sell plastic ones for the GS Mini.
Standard Martin bridge pins fit perfectly on a mini.

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
customizations, gs mini, mini, mods, upgrades