The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

I'm a big fan of the 00-15M... great guitar for the money. The best small guitar I've ever played was the Collings Baby, but I don't know if you're interested in that much of an upgrade.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkestnight View Post
I have Taylor GS Mini and I don't think there is anything like it, however, a GC3 or GA3 would be a nice upgrade. I wouldn't suggest a Guild M-120 or Epiphone EL-00 because I think they sound boxy. If you can deal with the size get a GA3 or even a Martin 000-15M.
I have the GSmini and the GC3. Body sizes are surprisingly similar in terms of width/depth on lower bout, though you can't quite throw it next to you on the couch in the same way as the mini. Bear in mind the GC does have a wider nut than the mini. Other good possibilities are the Martin 15 series and Larrivee's OM's... you haven't mentioned what your budget is though.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 PM

Small guitar guy here...

This isn't very AGF of me, but I think you already own the best guitar made in that size, bar none.

If you want something sort of one size up with 14 frets, the Bourgeois 00s fit your criteria. Short scale, very big sounding for their size, Taylor-ish neck, and the mahogany versions aren't "too" expensive.

A Taylor GC7 would be another to try. It feels small and sounds fairly similar to your GS mini. More overtones and volume, but similar. Bigger nut though...
Old 12-03-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
i'd suggest trying a guild GAD M120, or if you can find one, one of the recently discontinued guild GADf20 or m20 guitars - all solid, small body, 14 frets, gloss finish, comes with a hardshell case and they have a 1 11/16" nut, which is the only reason i sold my f20.

eastman parlors are great guitars - i've played both many times - but they don't have the 1 11/16" nut the op is looking for.
Thank you for your input, but I need to ask< How is the Guild M120 going to be so much different than my gs mini hog? I realize it is solid wood, but is it really going to play much better than the mini. I'd hate to shell out $500 just for a clone of what I already have.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyi5 View Post
I have the GSmini and the GC3. Body sizes are surprisingly similar in terms of width/depth on lower bout, though you can't quite throw it next to you on the couch in the same way as the mini. Bear in mind the GC does have a wider nut than the mini. Other good possibilities are the Martin 15 series and Larrivee's OM's... you haven't mentioned what your budget is though.
Although I mentioned the GC3 as an option for the OP I personally liked the GA3 more. I like the bigger sound. I actually prefer the GS Mini over the GC3 but OP might find it perfect for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
Thank you for your input, but I need to ask< How is the Guild M120 going to be so much different than my gs mini hog? I realize it is solid wood, but is it really going to play much better than the mini. I'd hate to shell out $500 just for a clone of what I already have.
They different. The GS Mini's project pretty while the Guild M-120 has that whole blues box thing going on that you would need to decide if you like that sound. I had a GAD-M20 that I sold to fund my GS Mini. I prefer the GS Mini.

Like I said before give the Taylor GC3 or GA3 a shot at Guitar Center and see what you think. The 400 series is also a great option.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Martin 00-18.

Oh look, there's one now!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselynne View Post
+1 on this.

I really enjoy the GS Mini Mahogany ... but the 00-15M is the one I ended up with. It is soooo much more guitar, and only a tad larger. Non-custom models do have the 11-1/16" nut.
I couldnt agree more. I have the Martin 000-15M and love it.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:55 PM

You might want to consider an Eastman Grand Concert size, although they do have a 1 3/4 neck. AC508, AC508M mahogany, AC708...really nice small guitars.
"It's called a gui-tar. It's used to perform American rural music....It's also the instrument of choice for playing "the blues", which is a form of American music that chronicles the pain caused by poor
decision making." From "The Orphan Master's Son" by Adam Johnson
Old 12-04-2012, 02:38 PM

Maybe anything like the OO/OM models will do...
Just compared my OM28 to my GSmini and found it surprisingly slightly longer overall compared to the GS. Surely body size is larger, but never as bulky as a dread... Since several brands have a similar production line of this famous body shape, it doesn't have to be a Martin...

By the way... What kind of strings are you using on your GSmini? Light or medium gauge?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:49 PM

Another option to consider is Larrivee guitars. They have many smaller sized models at reasonable prices.
http://larrivee.com/

Blues
Old 12-04-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses11 View Post
By the way... What kind of strings are you using on your GSmini? Light or medium gauge?
I know the question isn't directed to me, but I thought I would answer anyway.

I have the hog spruce top mini. It is a great guitar. The minis come with Elixer 13s from the factory. I did my first string change after one year just a few days ago. I put Elixer 12s on it and shaved the saddle 1/32". I was surprised that I didn't really lose any volume or tone.

My mini had good playability with the 13s and factory set up. But has even better comfort and playability now after installing the 12s and shaving the saddle . No buzzes either.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

I think you should commit to $4500 and buy my BTO Taylor GA with an armrest!!!

In all seriousness, if you can find a guitar with an arm bevel, you might really like the larger size. I'm 5' 6" and have the GA for sale (being replaced by an incoming custom build) with the bevel and it is extremely comfortable to play. If my GS had a bevel, I probably wouldn't have ordered the custom. So if you are in a position to check out a guitar with a bevel, you might find you can step up in size and maintain the comfort level.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gs mini, guild f 20, martin 00 15m, small body