The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-06-2009, 10:18 PM

Cool pick up for Martin Acoustic

I just bought a nice nearly new martin D-16-GT and was thinking of adding a pickup.Would this ruin the guitar in case i want to sell it or trade up??Also which is the best pickup for this guitar?Thanks for all coments Harvey W
Old 02-06-2009, 10:20 PM

Won't effect the value if done properly. How will you use it? You need to match the pick-up to the use you will give it. No one size fits all with them.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:21 PM

Harvey...I have the new Fishman Matrix Infinity installed in all my guitars....I believe it to be the best UST on the market right now....Fishman does recommend installation be done by a qualified tech.....And if you've never done anything like this, I would recommend that too.
I have tried many different pickups....The list would be greater than 20 ....Many here will swear by the K&K Pure Western mini SBT pickups ...However, I am not a fan of those....Good luck!
Boneyard
Martin SWDGT
Martin SWJGT
Martin MMV Dread
Martin 000-21
Old 02-06-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneyard75 View Post
Harvey...I have the new Fishman Matrix ....Many here will swear by the K&K Pure Western mini SBT pickups ...However, I am not a fan of those....Good luck!
Boneyard
Just curious. What do you have against K&K?
David's CDs
Old 02-06-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Just curious. What do you have against K&K?

I am not a fan for a few reasons...
1. The sound is too heavy in the midrange...Especially when I play through a PA system....And yes I did try to EQ that out.
2. The sound is boomy in the bass...When I dial that out, then I like the overall sound even less.
3. I have removed 2 of these from my guitars....They are a total bear to remove!
4. I don't like the idea of using superglue to adhere these pickups to the bridgeplate!
Martin SWDGT
Martin SWJGT
Martin MMV Dread
Martin 000-21
Old 02-08-2009, 07:36 PM

I had a martin that didn't have the pick-up factory installed. It was a Fishman Natural 1 pick-up. It did hurt the value of the guitar because it wasn't factory installed.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:48 PM

B-Band A1.2 under saddle. The transducer is thin enough that it wont affect saddle height. The B-Band A2.2 offers even better sound but more expensive and a bit more complicated for self-installation. I would think that if you have whatever you get professionally installed, it shouldn't do anything to hurt the value. There are probably plenty of people out there happy to buy a guitar with a pre-installed pickup. Good luck!

Ryan
Old 02-12-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
1. The sound is too heavy in the midrange...Especially when I play through a PA system....And yes I did try to EQ that out.
2. The sound is boomy in the bass...When I dial that out, then I like the overall sound even less.
3. I have removed 2 of these from my guitars....They are a total bear to remove!
4. I don't like the idea of using superglue to adhere these pickups to the bridgeplate!

I've had the same experience with it... I think they're best served in soup!

Mud Soup! LOL!
Old 02-12-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneyard75

I've had the same experience with it... I think they're best served in soup!

Mud Soup! LOL!

"A true Israelite in whom there is no guile!"
I don't understand the fierce loyalty to these pickups! ....I sometimes wonder what other people hear!
OK, let the beatings begin!!!
Boneyard
Martin SWDGT
Martin SWJGT
Martin MMV Dread
Martin 000-21
Old 02-12-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
"A true Israelite in whom there is no guile!"
I don't understand the fierce loyalty to these pickups! ....I sometimes wonder what other people hear!
OK, let the beatings begin!!!
Boneyard

Like most pickups, it doesn't work for everyone. I was unimpressed as well even after trying all kinds of different preamp settings. Even tried the "Mod cable" idea to match impedance. Was never crazy about the glue idea either. I tried them in a few guitars as I ordered more than 1 unit after reading the many very positive reviews here and on HC. I'm glad it works well for many. It's affordable enough and doesn't require a battery like most pickups do. The tone just seemed to lack any dynamics (to my ears) even with a ton of EQ'ing. Weird....

Ryan
Old 02-12-2009, 09:53 PM

Ryan...That was my experience too....I tried everything I knew in the Preamp/EQ area....In the PA setting, nothing worked...Now through my Crate CA112D acoustic amp, the pickup sounded great....But almost all pickups sound great through that acoustic amp....The PA thing is many times the culprit....This is where it is very hard to EQ acoustic pickups properly....The manufacturers just don't give you enough EQ....In my current set up at church (Using a 24 channel Mackie board), here is my set-up....

1 Martin CSN model w/ Fishman Infinity Matrix pickup
2 Fishman Aura pedal (Orchestra ...didn't like the dread
pedal....too boomy)
3 Behringer ADI-21
4 Fishman Pro Platinum EQ/DI

I cut mids all along the way...This set-up has given me a natural punchy sound....One guy says it sounds like his ear is next to the soundhole of my guitar....I get rave reviews on the acoustic tone....And trust me, I spent hours trying different pickups, preamps, guitars, strings, picks, etc....
I know that many would say that the Behringer ADI-21 is a weak link in the chain, but I find this preamp to be the best cheap preamp that money can buy...I don't use the DI....Just the 1/4" into the Fishman Pro Platinum EQ....
I would also say that part of the problem has been that Mackie board....Turning EQ dials doesn't seem to affect the tone all that much....
Cheers!!
Boneyard
Martin SWDGT
Martin SWJGT
Martin MMV Dread
Martin 000-21
Old 02-12-2009, 10:02 PM

I also vote for the Fishman Matrix Infinity. I have it installed in my Martin, and it sounds very nice.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyW View Post
I just bought a nice nearly new martin D-16-GT and was thinking of adding a pickup.Would this ruin the guitar in case i want to sell it or trade up??Also which is the best pickup for this guitar?Thanks for all coments Harvey W
Hi HarveyW,

Have either a Fishman Matrix Natural II or a Fishman Infinity installed in your guitar or an L.R. Baggs Element. Buy a Fishman Aura Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar Imaging Pedal and run the output of whatever aforementioned UST you've had installed in your guitar through the Fishman Aura Pedal, and per its instructions, adjust your whole signal-chain setup, and you'll have the most realistic amplified rendering of acoustic tone that you're likely to get from a pickup/preamp system.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-12-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Put a dual system in, get a good preamp w/ great EQ!

Aloha,

To the guys who bash the K&K Mini, or ANY SINGLE PICKUP, you may be missing the point: Great natural and flexible acoustic guitar sound only results from the SUM of several parts: at least two sources, a great preamp w/ great EQ (most players wouldn't know great EQ if it bit 'em in the @*#), a compatible signal chain that doesn't fight itself, efficient speakers that aren't "loudspeakers" like JBL's, excellent cables and appropriate links, good FX not cheap stomp box crap that adds noise, kills tone and destroys headroom, good speaker placement and lots and lots of experience using the various elements of such a LIVE rig so you can apply it in many settings and situations.

There's no plug 'n play here in our little acoustic world, gentleman. Not to get the results that can be gotten but often are not. It doesn't exist for acoustic guitar amplification. There is no single pickup that can give you the sound and control for all styles or all venues. Or all sizes of axes.

SO a single pickup for your new Martin aint gonna cut it, brah. Simple is NOT the way to go in acoustic guitar amplification. In the end, a dual source (or more) system will provide better sonic results and control than any single pickup.

It's all about the SUM OF THE PARTS as Sdelsolray has told us time and time again.

The K&K pickup as the primary pickup without great EQ and a good preamp Will let you down. But if you combine the K&K with a great mic or mics, &/or a dynamic like a Sunrise or even say a DTAR Wavelength UST or a Schertler DYN-G - it is a fantastic and more natural sounding pickup than most others - and I've tried 'em all in 45 years of gigging, starting with De Armonds!

UST combinations are ok too, but NONE are as natural sounding as K&K combos, or PUTW #54's, or a B-Band, IMO. By nature, they can't be. They are more electric guitars than acoustics. Even more so with soundhole synamic PU's.

For more natural acoustic tone, I put a lot of mic in my mixes and use the K&K for its warm bass in most styles, but more so for slide, blues, jazz styles.
If I used dreadnaught guitars, I probably wouldn't do that.

Of coursem the Pendulum SPS-1 preamp in my signal chain really helps with that blending and its unmatched parametric EQ brings out the best in the dual system and also in feedback control.

But again, without a well-planned, compatible signal chain that is not fighting against itself (killing headroom - your best friend in amplification), no single source pickup sounds all that good.

So go dual source with your Martin and start planning a decent signal chain for optimum natural results and signal hygiene. In the end, the sum of those parts will satisfy you, on all levels, the most.

Just my opinion.

alohachris
Old 02-13-2009, 12:55 AM

Chris......

Good advice as always for someone who has the $$$ to invest into some fairly high end gear. I don't doubt your setup is excellent and sounds top notch. It all depends on the OP's budget. I wouldn't try to talk someone out of a K&K setup such as yours. I was just mentioning that for me the solo didn't work half as well as I'd hoped and I later found that the A2.2 worked quite well and didn't require a lot of extras (just plugged into the board direct) to sound satisfying. No doubt the K&K combined with an internal mic sounds excellent. Adding a high quality preamp, even better. I'm just a hacker who owns too many guitars. I leave a pro setup like yours to you pros......

Ryan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification