The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Default Superior brand Fiberglass Cases

Hey all -

I've been looking at the Superior brand fiberglass cases and couldn't find much info on them, so I was wondering if anybody here had experience or opinions about them.

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/SFGC1-WHITE.htm

I'd like a lighter weight alternative to the standard wood hardshell cases but still want it to protect the guitar well.

Thanks!
-Mike
Old 01-14-2014, 09:02 AM

Never heard of them. Based on the price, it sounds like these are cheap, mass-produced cases.

I have my doubts about how their quality stacks up against similar cases that have been around for a while.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Anybody else have any experience?

Thanks!
-Mike
Old 01-14-2014, 09:22 PM

I think the Musicians Gear/Guardian is a little better.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Thanks kydave.

Do you know if the Musicians Gear/Guardian cases are still available? I can't seem to find them on the musicians Friend website.

-Mike
Old 01-15-2014, 03:34 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
Thanks kydave.

Do you know if the Musicians Gear/Guardian cases are still available? I can't seem to find them on the musicians Friend website.

-Mike
Amazon has them but they're a little overpriced.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_bottom_links

I have that exact case for my Gibson. It's a really nice case but I got mine for $125.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
Thanks kydave.
-Mike
Hmmm... Looks like a no on that. But if you google:

Guardian CG-061-D Deluxe Fiberglass Hardshell Dreadnought Guitar Case

You'll find then for sale several places. $224 seems to the price now. I didn't realize they'd gone up.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Thanks guys!

Looks like Amazon does have them for $250 but several of the places where they're listed for $224 like Elderly give an "invalid item" message when you actually try to add it to the cart - like maybe Google is pulling up old pages. I guess I'm also a little reluctant to spend $250 on a case that cost half that a year ago - for a little more I could get a Hiscox...

Anybody have any experience with this Humicase Metro?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...ic-guitar-case

I like the thought of the built in humidifiers.

-Mike
Old 01-16-2014, 06:19 AM

interesting how people are commenting on their quality without any first hand (or even anecdotal) experience.

i have no experience, either, but think they look pretty cool.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:49 AM

I have this SKB case, which is excellent: http://www.amazon.com/SKB-Acoustic-G...ht+guitar+case
Old 01-16-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
interesting how people are commenting on their quality without any first hand (or even anecdotal) experience.

i have no experience, either, but think they look pretty cool.

I have seen them and I own the same case in the mandolin version (Superior).

The Humidicase is flimsier than the Guardian. I looked at them in person prior to buying the Guardian.

I got the Guardian to have a lightweight/backpack strap case for bicycling around to jam sights at a music festival I go to annually.

I know that Guardian doesn't make the Superior case, but I suspect they are made by the same company which makes the Eastman fiberglass case, which is flimsier.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
I have seen them and I own the same case in the mandolin version (Superior).

The Humidicase is flimsier than the Guardian. I looked at them in person prior to buying the Guardian.

I got the Guardian to have a lightweight/backpack strap case for bicycling around to jam sights at a music festival I go to annually.

I know that Guardian doesn't make the Superior case, but I suspect they are made by the same company which makes the Eastman fiberglass case, which is flimsier.
thanks for clarifying, but i'm still a little confused. so from low quality to high, it goes:
superior/eastman, humidicase, guardian

is that correct? i like the look of those fiberglass cases.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:27 PM

This is a little late to the party. I just bought my second lightweight fiberglass case by Superior. (Got it from Elderly.)

The case is well built, nicely balanced and fits my 12 fret dread like a glove. (It's made for a 14 fretter but accommodates mine nicely.)

It should not be confused with a Calton or similar flight case but it's light years better than a gig bag. It's backpackable and it sits on your shoulders. If you're looking for a well made, lighter case this is it. I like them a lot.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:38 AM

ADDED: I have three that I got from Elderly. They will accept a 12 fret or 14 fret Martin dread. I use them for several Martin 12 fret dreads. I bought the white version. Positively love them. They're light, back-packable and provide excellent protection.

Bear in mind that they are NOT flight level cases. They provide great around town, gig to home and storage protection. They are now a special order item at Elderly and the price has gone up ($245) since I got mine.

The build quality, fit and finish are excellent. I recommend them highly. Love mine.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:09 AM

I received one with my Ellis A5 and it’s just fine (although it’s not what I use with the mandolin anymore). I’d fly with a mandolin in one (because it wouldn’t get checked) but would not take a guitar on a plane in one. For an around town case that doesn’t weigh too much, I’d be happy, but if it will be exposed to any stress beyond what you’d put to a normal hardcase, I’d consider options.

An intermediate step between normal cases and the higher end flight cases is Visesnut. I detest the handle placement, but it’s feather light, adjustable for different guitars, great with backpack straps, and good enough for me to fly with (I haven’t checked it yet and wouldn’t panic if I had to gate check it - but it’s compact enough).

I don’t think I’d buy a Superior, but I wouldn’t recommend against someone buying one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion