The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-29-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
The greater the risk, the greater the reward....

Seriously though, the biggest rule of thumb in buying sight unseen is to buy it low enough that reselling doesn't eat your lunch.
This. If you buy it right and don't bond with it, move it on.

I also don't necessarily buy in to the old line that Gibsons are that inconsistent. This is particularly true with those made in Bozeman in the last decade or so, which are to me the best acoustics Gibson has put out since the '50's.

Gibson J-45, LR Baggs Anthem SL
Martin D-28, JJB Prestige 330
Seagull S-6
Gibson L-50
Old 09-29-2017, 02:49 PM

Default Done

Guitar bought. Its is thru GC so I got the 45 day window to return it. I appreciate everyone's input. It's always good to hear.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildman View Post
Guitar bought. Its is thru GC so I got the 45 day window to return it. I appreciate everyone's input. It's always good to hear.
How do you like your J-45 Custom? I have a 2016 and it may be my finest guitar of the fleet. I bought 6 new acoustic guitars in the last year from Musician's Friend and all of them sound fantastic. 5 are Gibsons and 1 is a D-42. I think right now is a Golden Age for Gibson and Martin.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:03 PM

I have a J45 Custom Rosewood and it's fantastic. In fact, when I was jonesing for another Gibson on sale at the local GC, I almost traded it in but the deal fell through (long story), and now I'm glad every time I play it.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Gibson's are notoriously inconsistent. I don't think I'd buy it sight unseen without a well defined return policy.
i think the new gibsons that are comming from the montana plant are much more consistent than they used to be.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:29 PM

i recently traded a larrivee L 09 for a standard newish j45, so i went down to the biggest music store and played all the gibbys there. the j 15 stood out for a grand less. the maple back and sides custom j 45 they had was the best, but getting pricey. the j35 was ok, but oddly different.

i liked the standard j 45 but it seemed a bit bland, but then i traded it and cash for a 1959 j 45, and they guy i traded with was a flat picking rocker. he made the standar sound a lot better than i did with my finger picking. so i am thinking these are meant for the flat picker. the fifties on the other hand are more versitile for finger picking.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:54 PM

Default Enjoy that Gibson

I just played a J45 at GC and I thought it was the best manufacturer I had pulled off the wall. I can relate though. Once I bought a $150 beater and played 4 of them to get the right one. However, within the last year, I bought online, a Martin J1, I had never played it and knew very little about it. That's not me, but I love this Martin. I hope your happy you got it. Also I have a Gibson country western I love.
Good luck
RNF
Old 03-08-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollaimh View Post
i recently traded a larrivee L 09 for a standard newish j45, so i went down to the biggest music store and played all the gibbys there. the j 15 stood out for a grand less. the maple back and sides custom j 45 they had was the best, but getting pricey. the j35 was ok, but oddly different.

i liked the standard j 45 but it seemed a bit bland, but then i traded it and cash for a 1959 j 45, and they guy i traded with was a flat picking rocker. he made the standar sound a lot better than i did with my finger picking. so i am thinking these are meant for the flat picker. the fifties on the other hand are more versitile for finger picking.
well as a postscript i made a trade yesterday for an almost new j 35, it really surprised me for the volume and tone. a lot better than the ones i played new at the local store and a lot better than the j 45 i previously traded for--which i traded on in a deal for a 59 j 45. the fifties are still where it is at for j 45s but some new ones are very good
Old 03-08-2018, 08:20 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollaimh View Post
i think the new gibsons that are coming from the montana plant are much more consistent than they used to be.
That kind of attitude will get you nowhere in this forum.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Gibson's are notoriously inconsistent. I don't think I'd buy it sight unseen without a well defined return policy.
I've heard that said all the time but I've never heard any proof that Gibson is worse than any other company's guitars.

It's just something that keeps getting repeated. Every Gibson I have owned or played has been fantastic.

I wish people would stop repeating this.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

I agree with Paul, every Gibson I tried before buying mine was fine.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
That kind of attitude will get you nowhere in this forum.
opps once again caught in the act of being myself
Old 03-09-2018, 12:27 AM

i will say the standard new j 45s were a lot better flat pickers than finger pickers. the j 15 was fairly cheap for a big name, and a versatile guitar, the j 35 i played at the store was a bit dead. the one i traded for is has a new stiff tone still but it's a cannon for finger picking or flat picking.

the custom maple back and sides i played was the best but much pricier.

the new slope shoulder gibby's are much better balanced than the fifties tone i love. i solve that by putting heavier string on the top e string, and sometimes on the b as well, to get more top end, but you can't beat the warm rich tone of those well played old git boxes.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I've heard that said all the time but I've never heard any proof that Gibson is worse than any other company's guitars.

It's just something that keeps getting repeated. Every Gibson I have owned or played has been fantastic.

I wish people would stop repeating this.
I have 5 2016 Gibson Acoustics and they sound fantastic, getting better all the time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion