The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-05-2014, 02:12 PM

Default Taylor GC mini

Does anyone know if it would be possible to commission a GC(Grand Concert) mini from Taylor?
I'm really not a huge GS/O fan and I was wondering if any of you had any experience with Taylor and whether or not they are open to custom body shapes?
I'm hoping I can get something along the lines of a 3/4 size 512 C.
Taylor 512 NG #67
Old 09-05-2014, 02:18 PM

No one on this forum can give you an answer to this question beyond pure speculation. Only Taylor Guitars can answer you.

But my speculation (which is as worthless as the next guy's) is that no, they would not do that, probably for any price. It is just not what they do.

Seek a custom builder.

Not tryin' to brag, or nuthin', but I own a guitar.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatini View Post
No one on this forum can give you an answer to this question beyond pure speculation. Only Taylor Guitars can answer you.

But my speculation (which is as worthless as the next guy's) is that no, they would not do that, probably for any price. It is just not what they do.

Seek a custom builder.
I thought that someone might have experience with ordering a custom body from Taylor/getting rejected trying to. In which case, if someone had successfully done it, they could absolutely give me a definitive answer.
Taylor 512 NG #67
Old 09-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

They have standard shapes they build to, regardless of whether standard or custom - the shapes are standard and you can change that somewhat with neck mods and cut-always, but not the general shape. They make one 'mini' which is the GS, that is there standard 'mini' shape, PLUS they do not do custom builds on GSMs (or Baby as far as I know).

The GSM is really not a GS (because it's lacking the volume), it is its own class of "small" so I am not sure a GC mini would change much, except maybe even smaller.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:33 PM

The business model for the GS Mini is:
  • standard body shape / molds / parts
  • minimal bling and decorative details
  • laminated back & sides to minimize the need for bracing

Making any modifications beyond top wood choice would basically defeat the purpose of using mass production techniques to keep the guitar anywhere near its current price point. I would be surprised to ever see them do anything beyond the mahogany top versus spruce top, the HV special edition, and this year's LTD models. (In fact I've been a bit surprised to see this many options). You be better off dollar-wise to order a short scale GC model as a BTO with the woods and features that you want.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:47 PM

I contacted them to inquire about building me an ukulele and was told no. So, I'm guessing a custom guitar body would garner the same response. For what it's worth, Andy Powers has built ukuleles for Taylor as part of the builders reserve program...and apparently for some other people that have a higher profile than mine. So, I guess technically I could lay out $9k for one of the 30 guitar/uke sets made if I could find one. They just won't build a stand alone uke.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/blog/gu...and-guitar-set
Old 09-05-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci-Rose View Post
Does anyone know if it would be possible to commission a GC(Grand Concert) mini from Taylor?
I'm really not a huge GS/O fan and I was wondering if any of you had any experience with Taylor and whether or not they are open to custom body shapes?
I'm hoping I can get something along the lines of a 3/4 size 512 C.
That would be nice but it is not possible. BTW, I noticed you revived the GS Mini BTO thread from 2011, I've been sating I would like to see the Mini in all the series including Presentation but you ill also notice I have not offered to foot the bill for the project.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:23 AM
Dan - Charter Member

At one time, Taylor also registered the trademark "GA Mini". However, they didn't use it and eventually abandoned it. See this thread for details.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
The GSM is really not a GS (because it's lacking the volume)
I believe that's why they put an "M" there

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bto, custom, gs mini, taylor, taylor 512