The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-06-2009, 09:17 PM

Default what monitors for acoustic mandolin duo?

Anyone here used the TC-Helicon, Nady PM-100, or Galaxy Hot Spot? I'm looking for a good stage monitor. I would even go with a floor monitor. I want powered and good clean sound. Any reviews would be great in the form of feedback prone, volume, quality sound, things like that. I'll be using it for a guitar mandolin duo. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashaw View Post
Anyone here used the TC-Helicon, Nady PM-100, or Galaxy Hot Spot? I'm looking for a good stage monitor. I would even go with a floor monitor. I want powered and good clean sound. Any reviews would be great in the form of feedback prone, volume, quality sound, things like that. I'll be using it for a guitar mandolin duo. Thanks.
I bought a pair of Behringer B212A's a couple of years ago. After adding a pair of Mackie SRM450's we assigned the B212a's to floor monitor duty. I'm very pleased with their sound quality, flexibility (eq on the speaker), power (don't need much) ... and finally their price. When they die I'll likely replace them, unless I can find a pair used Mackie SRM350's at a similar price. And for small gigs where we don't need floor monitor (like tonight's gig at a local art center) we can use the smaller speakers for mains.

I can't comment on the ones you mention, except to say they use passive Hot Spots at my church and seem to like 'em.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:10 AM

Thanks, I'll check out those Behringer B212As. I was under the impression that Behringer made lower quality gear. I think I'll go A/B the B212A monitors at the local audio shop against some other brands and see what I come up with.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Musical minimalist

Peavey PR10P or Yorkville CX80P are nice for their price point.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:41 AM

I've had pitiful experience with monitors and wedges, especially at open mics and small clubs. I just ordered a in ear personal monitor system. PSM200 Shure. You can go wired (which I likely will do as a solo seated) or wireless. I use a PA exclusively now even when I provide the system or for home use. For real small venues I go acoustic for the guitar and use my little Mackie SM150 (boom Box) for a vocal boost. I haven't received my unit yet but I am hoping for the end of the monitor/gear issue once & for all for me.

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Produc...PSM200_content
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification