The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-09-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
PRS also raised prices and both Fender and PRS are hiring.
I know that to be a fact. The son of a guy I work with is a trained luthier and just got a job with PRS, working 2nd shift.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 AM

[QUOTE=imwjl;1741969]Hi,

You'll get no shortage of Telecaster expertise and a nice on-line community on TDPRI.
QUOTE]

+1 on that. Very cool site. I highly advise AGAINST visiting there however, because after looking at all the build threads you will get a MAJOR hankering to build your own. Man, there are some awesome builds there!

I picked up a used '72 RI Custom from a member there and love it. Its got the humbucker for your fat rhythm stuff and the single coil for that trademark Tele twang.. looks cool too lol..
Old 02-09-2009, 09:09 AM

+1 on G&L

[IMG]http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/pics/large/ASAT-Z3-****obacco-Sunburst_full.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-09-2009, 09:51 AM

I own a '52 (2004) Reissue. I own in the neighborhood of 30 guitars and this is, by FAR, my #1 guitar. In my humble opinion, it's perfect in every way! I first played one around 2001 or 02 and loved it, so I saved up and got one in 2004 and man was it worth the wait!

I'm a Fender fan in the first place, but this guitar truly blew me away. I use it for all electric styles.

In all fairness, I haven't played a Deluxe, though I did try the 50th Anniversary Tele and did not like it compared to the '52. The 52 is just a quality instrument in every way.

Cool thing is that it comes with a kit to convert to modern switching if you want to (I did not convert it, I like the warmth of the far neck position).

Hope this helps!

2010 Taylor 314CE
1990 Fender Gemini II
2003 Epiphone
2000 Cordoba 20Estudio
2004 Martin Backpacker
1988 Grand Prix 12-String
199? Seagull 12-String
192? Stradolin Mandolin
and a bunch of electrics
><>
Old 02-09-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedimasterPaul View Post
About a tyear ago I went with a friend to GC to help him look for guitars. He was interested in a Tele, so that was what we played. I was caught off guard by the bite/bark these guitars had, and it's been in the back of my mind ever since.

I've narrowed down the search two two models:

1. the 52 Reissue

2. the American Deluxe

I went to GC tonight and played both. One concern I had about the 52 reissue was the comfort of the neck (it has a smaller radius, smaller frets). However, the necks on both guitars were very comfortable to play, with a slight edge going to the Deluxe, due to the 9.5" radius and the bigger frets.

as far as electronics are concerned, both guitars sounded really good. The Deluxe has the noiseless pickups, and the S-1 switching. However, the 52 reissue seemed to have a slightly more bite to it, which is the quality that originally grabbed my attention when I first played a Tele a year ago.

I guess one option would be to get a Deluxe, and swap out the pickups down the road if I wanted to. Probably would be easier than changing a neck.

I do however prefer the vintage style hardware on the 52 reissue.

The hum should not be too big of an issue, the live playing I do is mostly clean, and if our praise band ever does progress to the point where I can add some crunch, it will be low gain overdrive. (and I'm living with hum now with my P-90-equipped SG)

help me out here guys

what I am looking for are some opinions on the SCN noiseless Tele pickups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
One I finished off a few weeks ago....

Wow! Nice work! Very impressive! I envy that you can build something like that :-)

2010 Taylor 314CE
1990 Fender Gemini II
2003 Epiphone
2000 Cordoba 20Estudio
2004 Martin Backpacker
1988 Grand Prix 12-String
199? Seagull 12-String
192? Stradolin Mandolin
and a bunch of electrics
><>
Old 02-09-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedimasterPaul View Post
I ended up with the 52 Vintage Hot Rod Tele. I've missed having a humbucker.
Nice choice. I like it better than your other two first choices.

Glenn D.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:38 PM

Location: 3 miles from the Rose Bowl, 3 miles from Dodger Stadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
+1 on G&L

[IMG]http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/pics/large/ASAT-Z3-****obacco-Sunburst_full.jpg[/IMG]
Holy-Moly, 815C! Are all of these G&Ls yours? Glad I'm wearin' my Oakleys, brah. The glow from the pics is overpowering me! Props to you. Peace, out.....Kabookie
Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
"Play on, pick often, & prosper."
Old 02-11-2009, 07:13 AM

own a 52 reissue and then built a hot rod copy with a mini humbucker. Like them both. No doubt the g and l's are nice but I think resale will be easier with a fender. Not that any of us sell guitars.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:14 PM

as I said, instead of the 52 RI or the Hot Rod, I ended up with a 'Custom Telecaster' from my relative's collection of 50-odd guitars.

From a distance it looks like a 52 - Butterscotch Blonde Ash body, blackguard, maple neck

up close the modern touches are the urethane finish, the 9.5" radius fretboard, the mediumjumbo frets, the machines, and the bridge.

It has Custom SHop 'nocaster' pickups - I've been playing around with them all week and they sound great.

100 of these were made in 2003 for Fender Northeast Region - my relative got it as he worked for them at that point.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:54 AM
In between waves

I love Teles. I acquired a 1988 American Standard Tele in a trade a few years ago and I have been tinkering with it ever since. To date it has had a fret job, A humbucker installed in the neck attached to a push pull pot for the volume so I can split it. It sounds great. I am going to put a new pick up in the bridge pretty soon. O yeah I threw some abalone inlaid knobs on it too. Teles are so much fun.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabookie View Post
Holy-Moly, 815C! Are all of these G&Ls yours? Glad I'm wearin' my Oakleys, brah. The glow from the pics is overpowering me! Props to you. Peace, out.....Kabookie
Oh how I wish those were mine. I pulled those photos off the G&L web site.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:45 AM

G&Ls are great, but the standard neck width is 1-5/8", a bit narrow for big fingered folk like me.

jack
Old 02-14-2009, 02:24 PM

If you go to the G&L web page and click on the OPTIONS link, you'll see the different neck widths you can get. I custom ordered by G&L with a #3 neck (1 3/4"). I agree the 1 5/8 is a bit narrow for my liking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification