The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 03:37 PM

Default Gibson Acoustic Sounds Even Better in Eb Tuning

I've owned my Gibson for 7 months, and have always kept it in standard tuning. Just tuned it down to Eb (down a half step) and it sounds even better than in standard.

Have you noticed this with any of your guitars - that playing down a half step sounds better than in standard?

It just sounds richer and more full in Eb tuning. Curious what your experiences are!
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 10-20-2020, 03:47 PM

I’ve noticed this sometimes on different guitars as well, and I wonder if changing your strings to a lower tension set would sound just as good when tuned to standard. Something like round cores or thin cores?
Old 10-20-2020, 04:10 PM

All my guitars are tuned to Eb except for my 214CE, which is set to half a step below DADGAD. Honestly, I think all guitars sound better tuned down half a step.
  • Gibson J-15
  • Taylor 514CE
  • Taylor 254CE DLX
  • Taylor 214CE
Old 10-20-2020, 06:18 PM

I keep my guitars tuned down a half step. It helps my aging voice handle more songs that I used to play capoed up a couple frets. Odd how that works.

Even my J45, being a short scale, handles the lower tuning without any problems.

Rb
Old 10-20-2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
I've owned my Gibson for 7 months, and have always kept it in standard tuning. Just tuned it down to Eb (down a half step) and it sounds even better than in standard.

Have you noticed this with any of your guitars - that playing down a half step sounds better than in standard?

It just sounds richer and more full in Eb tuning. Curious what your experiences are!
Absolutely 100% agree with this statement.

I tune my Maton 808 down half step and full step sometimes (for certain songs) and it sounds truly amazing in those tunings, just love experimenting with chord progressions in these lower tunings with acoustic
Old 10-21-2020, 04:26 AM
Charter Member

I agree. I started tuning down a half step to accommodate vocal range (capo-ing down) but mainly to take some tension off my vintage neck joints in hopes of putting off resets as long as possible. Then I found out a guitar hero has done the same for years. You just have to keep capos handy when playing with others. The physical dimensions and compliance of your larynx has a preferred range, and I think guitars have a sweet spot that isnt always necessarily at standard tuning, also.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion