The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-20-2020, 03:18 PM

Default DADGAD - now I've done it

Been playing drop D on my Taylor 324 for a while and digging it. Got into open D and open G with the slide on it a little and liking it. Then I tuned it to DADGAD. Oh my. I'm headed down the rabbit hole now. Somebody help me...

Must learn tunes suggestions and playing tips welcomed as I explore this new to me world.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

There's no help. It's all over now...

Enjoy!
Old 10-20-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwhite View Post
Been playing drop D on my Taylor 324 for a while and digging it. Got into open D and open G with the slide on it a little and liking it. Then I tuned it to DADGAD. Oh my. I'm headed down the rabbit hole now. Somebody help me...

Must learn tunes suggestions and playing tips welcomed as I explore this new to me world.
Here's the guy who invented it, with the tune he invented it for:

(That's DADGAD 3 half-steps down, then capo on 2, so he's in D flat.)

A couple of other favourites:

Here's a demo of the last one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAMM8sWM33E

If you want something a lot simpler, here's Bert with an Anne Briggs song (on 12-string, but it works on 6-string too):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxNJ4fzAg44

Last edited by JonPR; 10-20-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:03 PM

Check out Richard Shindell. Some tunes to focus on:

Reunion Hill
Wisteria
The Next Best Western
Are You Happy Now?
A Summer Wind, a Cotton Dress
Old 10-20-2020, 08:19 PM

I just bought Doug Young's DADGAD Christmas book. I've never messed with DADGAD at any length, but I'm looking forward to learning some things.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:58 PM

I love DADGAD and it's opened a new dimension. Search for AL Pettaways tutorial on the Wayfaring Stranger, fingerpicking instrument!! I watched maybe 50 times to get it down, but a great melody in DADGAD.

I also suggest trying out a "cut-capo" on 2nd fret. Only the 3,4,and 5th are depressed. This creates some great sounds, many even with single finger notes, with all others open. Very friendly for fingerpicking styles..
Old 10-25-2020, 10:50 PM

Some of the DADGAD tunes in Jim Tozier's book are fairly simple and take advantage of that lovely open sound and ringing notes.
Teton STG105CENT
Recording King RK-R35 (banjo)
Looking for my next one!
Old 10-26-2020, 05:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwhite View Post

Hi arw…

Two names. Doug Young (from this forum) has written a book on DADGAD, and Al Petteway is THE MAN when it comes to DADGAD (and YouTube is your friend).

To help students ease into DADGAD, I taught them to play in Dropped D for a few lessons, then double Dropped D for a couple weeks. The last step was to lower the B to A and they were there, and it helped de-mystify the changes to fingerings and kept them from asking 'where did my notes move to' ?

Remember DADGAD lends itself more to a linear style music than a strumming tool. You can print out charts of DADGAD chords, but the DADGAD players I love lean toward more melody-centric Irishy style play.

And it also makes it easy to throw down great deep sounding, under-girding three and four string sustaining drone-tone to solo over using the top strings.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-26-2020, 05:29 AM

Default Bensusan

How has Pierre Bensusan not been mentioned yet.

THE Dadgad Master.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write