The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2020, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

The title makes me think of my D-1A. Super, super light weight bold and loud. Did I say bold?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-19-2020, 08:38 AM

I have a Blueridge BR-361, the same as the OP without the bling. Everything he says is true for me, too. I purchased a used Martin 0-28v, and returned it, because the Blueridge sounded noticeably better.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:09 AM
Runaway Tomato

Three of my favorite guitars to play on stage through the years were an AEL Jumbo from Ibanez ($299 @ GC) and two different Epiphone EJ-200s (both $399 @ the same GC), all doing battle in the trenches while my precious Gibsons stayed at home lol - - - Nowadays, my Taylor 110e gets 99% of stage play while the K Yairi and Taylor 814ce DLX rock my porch and couch. The practicality of inexpensive well-made instruments for stage use is wonderful. I record and compose and entertain neighbors [grin] with the 814 tho . . . .
Former AGF Moderator
Old 10-19-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiekimi View Post
I have been completely blown away by my 6 month old Blueridge BR-371. It is in my estimation, the perfect guitar for me. It sounds wonderful, the size is perfect, and the fit and finish are on par with any other guitar I currently own. It really seems to out punch its weight. Solid spruce top, solid rosewood back/sides, chunky 1 7/8 neck, beautiful inlays, etc… What I cannot get over is the quality, playability, and booming sound from the Blueridge…I cannot seem to put it down. By far, it has been the biggest surprise of any guitar I have owned.

With that out of the way, what is wrong with me? The only guitar I want to consistently play is the Blueridge…the other guitars I own are GREAT guitars, but for me, the Blueridge just ‘fits’. I have a Waterloo WL-12, a Martin 0-21, a Gibson L-00, and a Guild M-20, along with some older guitars (Kalamazoo, Stella, Regal). The closest I came to this feeling was with the Waterloo…the Gibson was underwhelming, the Martin was scratching an itch at the time, and the Guild is my wife’s favorite (so it’s not going anywhere). I feel like I have finally found the ‘one’ guitar I would keep over the others.

I mean, from a $$ perspective, the Martin or Waterloo SHOULD be ‘the one’, but they are not.

Not specific to Blueridge, but has anybody else had a similar experience with an Asian import guitar versus some iconic US brands? Or maybe an undervalued US make/model?

I know some brands like Farida and Eastman get a lot of love. Heck, I even had an Eastman E10-OOSS/V for a few months before I sold her off, but as good as it was, it was nothing like the Blueridge.

Just curious as to how many others have had a similar experience…
Back in May I missed out on a chance to buy a BR-371 for...$675! We couldn't hook up due to this and that and by the time I tried to get back in touch he went silent, meaning already sold. DANG. Since then I got a crazy good deal on a BR-160CE that's SUCH a keeper, great all-solid spruce & rw. Later I ordered (and overpaid for) a Tacoma DR20 a/e (also all-solid sp & rw) that was great but kind of duplicated what I already had, so I sold it to buy a Gold Tone 12-string mando - which I love. First time I've taken a loss on an ax in forever but I don't care, it all balances out.
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Breedlove Concert Copper E
Breedlove Solo Pro 12 String
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
Gold Tone F12 12-String Mando
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
90's Fender MIJ mystery passive P/J
Old 10-19-2020, 09:26 AM

I am in constant search of a good 10 dollar bottle of wine.. they are out there.
My biggest concern with budget guitars is
The build quality .. the woods like mention
Before may be pseudo rosewood. But if it
Sounds good I dont care. My biggest concern
Is how it performs over time. How it ages and
Moves with seasonal changes. All guitars do
This of course but I find the cheaper ones
Seem to move more and stay bad after a few
Years of ownership. Where the more expensive ones seem more stable. Perhaps
their wood is seasoned longer before the build??
Old 10-19-2020, 09:27 AM

Sometimes a guitar just fits your "player interface with the guitar" needs in some way that may be subliminal. It might be neck carve, body size/shape. Frets. Physical balance. String spacing. Scale length or neck/body join point. Or something else I didn't even think to mention.

Guitar forums are full of appreciation for "tone" often spoken of with a underlying assumption that that sound thing is a hierarchy with a poor/fair/good/better/best scale. Of course the sound of an instrument is important, though let's face it: music itself is pleasing even if it's sounded in a variety of timbres.

That may be what you've found. A guitar that fits you, your hands and body and playing needs and musical pleasure results.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-19-2020, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Punches above its weight:

The entry-level Martin Road Series might not be much to look at (a nice spruce top but with a rather lifeless satin finish, an el-cheapo pickguard and laminate back and sides as murky brown as swamp water) but **** if my DM-12 isn't one of the best sounding twelve-strings I've ever played - even better than my old Guild F-212 which I have since sold.

They're pretty cheap on the used market.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:38 AM

There is something to be said for buying the high end offerings of a company with a rep for producing more budget friendly instruments as opposed to the lower tier offerings of the big sexy factory builders. I have played a few Blueridge instruments. I found them to be generally good sounding, well built instruments. But what I cannot figure is why the the corn syrup thick poly finish on the BR361 and others.

For me though the old Harmony Sovereigns really fit the bill of what you are talking about. While I like them just stock, with a little bit of effort such as rolling the pinless bridge and spruce bridge plate for a pin bridge and maple plate you can easily coax more out of them.

Last edited by zombywoof; 10-19-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiekimi View Post
My Gibson L-00 Studio...I've been disappointed since the first day.
I bought an L-00 Studio Walnut several months back. I tried a L-00 Standard and a 12fret L-00 Deluxe. The Studio Walnut was louder then either of them. It is a bit boxy and mid rangey but I am very pleased with it.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I am in constant search of a good 10 dollar bottle of wine.. they are out there.
My biggest concern with budget guitars is
The build quality .. the woods like mention
Before may be pseudo rosewood. But if it
Sounds good I dont care. My biggest concern
Is how it performs over time. How it ages and
Moves with seasonal changes. All guitars do
This of course but I find the cheaper ones
Seem to move more and stay bad after a few
Years of ownership. Where the more expensive ones seem more stable. Perhaps
their wood is seasoned longer before the build??

That was exactly it with my S&P. The luthier said the wood was probably young when it was made and it shifted a bit. Luckily he did a great job with it and it’s aged really well.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:27 AM

What exactly does Out punches it weight mean? Sometimes I think it’s something we say to make us feel better about our purchases. I generally think most guitars punch exactly to their weight. If you’re going to say that, then you have to give it some context and say exactly which more expensive guitars are you saying it sounds as good as. Then we can Judge whether there is agreement.

What’s funny to me, as I’ve heard at times one person say that A guitar is as good as more expensive B guitar, and then I’ve heard another person say that B guitar is as good as more expensive C guitar.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
What exactly does Out punches it weight mean? Sometimes I think it’s something we say to make us feel better about our purchases. I generally think most guitars punch exactly to their weight. If you’re going to say that, then you have to give it some context and say exactly which more expensive guitars are you saying it sounds as good as. Then we can Judge whether there is agreement.

What’s funny to me, as I’ve heard at times one person say that A guitar is as good as more expensive B guitar, and then I’ve heard another person say that B guitar is as good as more expensive C guitar.
What about my high-end guitar that outpunches anything that gets in its way!! Sometimes I feel like SOME OF these threads are meant as a way to throw shade on people for having really nice guitars and I'm not saying this one is!! That's my opinion and you won't change my mind about it. Yes, there are some FANTASTIC Sub-$1,000 guitars out there, but I've not played any yet that are on the same level as my D41 and my Bourgeois. I played a buttload of lower-end Martins at the Music Outlet a few months ago and while they didn't sound bad, they just didn't have that "IT" factor you get with the higher-end models. My GS Mini sounds fantastic for what it is, but It's not an 812ce or Bourgeois L-DBO or Santa Cruz Firefly. Everyone just has to be happy with what you have and if not, get rid of it and find something better. I've thought several times that I'd like to get me a $600-700 dread to take to Bluegrass festivals, but I'd never be satisfied with the sound and tone because I'd ALWAYS be comparing to my Bourgeois, which is the pinnacle for me guitar-wise and I'd never be satisified. THE ABOVE COMMENTS ARE STRICTLY MY OPINION!! Please don't hate if you don't agree.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

Last edited by Tnfiddler; 10-19-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Sometimes I feel like these threads are meant as a way to throw shade on people for having really nice guitars! That's my opinion and you won't change my mind about it.
Just respectfully saying I don't think that's the motive here. People are always interested in where the good bargains might be found, that's all.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalliamsayn View Post
Just respectfully saying I don't think that's the motive here. People are always interested in where the good bargains might be found, that's all.
I HONESTLY hope that's the reason for all of them!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-19-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalliamsayn View Post
I would tend to agree with you. However by inference when you say punches above it weight, it’s implying that another guitar is not worth the money if you’re cheaper guitar sound as good.

I think a better terminology would be, what guitars are good for their price range.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion