The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-13-2020, 08:28 AM

Default Help really appreciated

HI all,
I have recently bought my first Archtop and love it but even after loads of research cannot nail the exact model.
I am hoping with the vast knowledge on here if you have time some might be able to help?
I believe (Maybe wrongly ) that its one of the Gibson 1930s budget range , the stripe up the fret board makes me think its a Cromwell but the head stock has no name engraved just tortoiseshell patterns. It also looks a lot like the Recorder king bar the neck.
It is all original nothing added to it , with Grover winders and inside the sticker is white with Gibson made in usa etc.
I would really love to know what it is and would be grateful for any help.
I will add some images once i work out how to do that as copy and paste doesnt seem to work
Added a video of it being played at my house last week.
I know some purists look down their nose , but i love the sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUCLYkCNvhs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gibbo.jpg (51.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg gibson label resize.jpg (19.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg kal back (2).jpg (29.9 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Aidanunited; 10-14-2020 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidanunited View Post
I will add some images once i work out how to do that as copy and paste doesnt seem to work
Welcome to the AGF. No, copying and pasting photos won't work. You can take a look at this post. Right now, you are a registered user, so you have two options. You may use a third-party host like Imgur or you may use the Tapatalk app.

We'd love to have your support as a charter member. If you join us, you will also have the capability of inserting attachments directly from your computer. Whichever method you choose, the directions are given in the photo thread. Feel free to PM me if you need help. Enjoy the forum.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:12 AM

Default Joining

happy to pay via paypal, and have just done so .

Last edited by Aidanunited; 10-14-2020 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
happy to pay via paypal, and have just done so .
Welcome, Aidan... we appreciate your support! PM has been sent, but let me know if you need more help.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Default Very Likely a Recording King M-3

Quote:
HI all,
I have recently bought my first Archtop and love it but even after loads of research cannot nail the exact model.
I am hoping with the vast knowledge on here if you have time some might be able to help?
I believe (Maybe wrongly ) that its one of the Gibson 1930s budget range , the stripe up the fret board makes me think its a Cromwell but the head stock has no name engraved just tortoiseshell patterns. It also looks a lot like the Recorder king bar the neck.

I believe what you have is, indeed, a 1930's era, Gibson made, Montgomery Wards marketed, British imported, Recording King model M-3. The shape of the headstock, the tailpiece, the beautiful bound pickguard, the pattern of the "F" holes, the maple neck and the sunburst finish all indicate that this is indeed a pre-war Gibson made, Recording king.

I have attached a photo of a similar, 1930's pre-war era, Recording King model M-3 I purchased about six Months ago, that is in exceptionally good to excellent condition, with a classic, clear archtop tone and lots of sustain.

I do love that Cromwell fretboard though. As I understand the history, these fancy "Cromwell" fret boards, with the over-sized dot inlays and the center skunk stripe, were only made for the British import market. I found a Kalamazoo KG-31 with a fretboard that has the large dot inlays but no skunk stripe, so I guess Gibson was just using up old parts on this one.

Nevertheless, I would only disagree on one thing, the Recording King instruments were not "budget" models. The quality of construction and the quality of the tone woods used were all "Top Notch" for this model and series. All solid woods were used, including carved spruce tops, carved solid maple backs and sides, with soft V profiled maple necks and no truss rod. My understanding of this market is that it was the "Cromwell" (KG-31/32 Gibson) that was the more budget minded model, and used mostly pressed spruce tops and pressed mahogany backs and necks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1930s Recording King M-3.jpg (28.1 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-14-2020 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:38 AM

Thank you so much for the input i do really appreciate it , the colour of your sunburst is the right match for mine as all the cromwell's i have seen are much darker.
The scratch guard is what was throwing me as mine has a flat line at the bottom and light edging all the way round.
Its Amazing it plays so well with no truss rod and all the years that have passed.

Thanks for the time and knowledge.
would you mind telling me what you payed for your?

Last edited by Aidanunited; 10-16-2020 at 01:28 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops