The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-05-2020, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for providing this comparison Doug. I think this sort of thing is helpful for some of us as ear training; learning to relate some sound characteristics to different types of mics and setup techniques. My preference is for the Schoeps; I like the clarity and detail. For some reason I've never been as drawn to mid-side for guitar compared to ORTF or spaced pair

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 10-09-2020, 01:02 PM

Default Ear Trumpet Labs/Schoeps Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post

I do actually find myself preferring the sound of the AT mic over either of the others in this particular test. I don't usually record in ORTF these days, and I generally prefer the Schoeps as wider spaced pairs.

I agree the AT stereo mic sounds fantastic! I get what you are saying about it just being for video, not for the studio, but from what I’m hearing, it would do very well in the studio.

Last edited by lkingston; 10-09-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

One time through has me voting for Ear Trumpet. It has an openness and clarity to it. The Schoeps had a lushness to it that's cool. Seriously I can't hear what you guys are talking about but that's me. I'll take your word for things.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-09-2020, 06:14 PM

I found the AT4050ST for a decent price ($1000 - used six times) on eBay and ordered it. I am pretty excited about it. This will be mostly used for my guitar and vocals videos and like Doug, I am interested in as little clutter as possible in the video frame. I like the sound I heard in the test very much. I also like the flexibility with the 90 and 120 degree presets and the mid side variability. The Zoom H6 will work with a mid/side mic setup, and so will Ferrite Pro which I have been using to edit audio for my YouTube and Facebook videos.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:00 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I liked the AT mic the best on my first listen. I'll listen again later this weekend.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-12-2020, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I found the AT4050ST for a decent price ($1000 - used six times) on eBay and ordered it. I am pretty excited about it. This will be mostly used for my guitar and vocals videos and like Doug, I am interested in as little clutter as possible in the video frame. I like the sound I heard in the test very much. I also like the flexibility with the 90 and 120 degree presets and the mid side variability. The Zoom H6 will work with a mid/side mic setup, and so will Ferrite Pro which I have been using to edit audio for my YouTube and Facebook videos.
Let us know how you like it! You can hear/see the AT4050ST in any of my videos done in the past few years, other than the one I just did with the Ear Trumpet. I usually just leave it in the 120-setting, it's easier to balance with the little meters on the Zoom, where it's not as easy to balance MS as with my DAW setup. I could setup and and position in 90 or 120 and then switch to MS, but I just never remember to do that what with all the other stuff I'm trying to keep track of when shooting a video.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:47 AM

I just got it this morning. So far in testing I like what I hear. I’ll be posting stuff soon I am sure.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:29 PM

Here is my first recording with the AT4050ST. I used the 90 degree spread vertically in order to get direct aiming at both the guitar and vocal. I don’t know that doing this gives you much over just sharing a regular cardioid pattern aimed somewhere between the guitar and vocal. I think maybe it lets me get the mic a bit closer without losing clarity on one or the other, but I’m not sure.

Before recording this I recorded the same song with the figure 8 element pointed at the guitar and the cardioid element pointed at my mouth. At first I was really excited because that seemed to let me get a lot of the vocal off the guitar mic. Then I realized that it also added a lot of room ambience from the vocal to that track, so instead of having vocal and guitar tracks, I had vocal and guitar+vocal ambience tracks. I’ve never done guitar and vocals with two figure 8 mics, but my guess that it would add even more room ambience unless the room was well deadened. It was an unsuccessful but enlightening experience.

I’m very happy with the sound I got. I definitely like this mic!

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/....php?p=6522301
Old 10-13-2020, 01:44 AM
Charter Member

Sounds very nice!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD