The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 10-05-2020, 02:06 PM

Never cared for anything by the Beach Boys.Actually saying "never cared for" is being too kind,I hate everything they ever did.They,and Elton John are 2 that get the channel switch when either comes on the radio.Different strokes....
Old 10-05-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes1971 View Post
They,and Elton John are 2 that get the channel switch when either comes on the radio.

Elton John, Eh? Me too. Among many others.

Another forum I frequent has a thread, "Bands you're 'supposed' to like but don't." That thread is currently on page 48.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:39 PM

I was never a Beach Boys fan. It was just too much of a pop thing. I do like to record, so I listen to the production values in Brian Wilson's music, and can hear some of those techniques that are pretty great, especially considering the times, but I like things more simple than that, one or two voices, a a guitar or two, etc, so their music was never my cup of tea. My favorite artists were guys like Nick Drake and Chris Whitley who I can listen to over and over again and always hear something to inspire me. To each is own. I'll take a single, finger-picked guitar, or resonator, over a big production any day, especially when the guy can sing as good as he plays. To me, that's the bees knees,
Old 10-05-2020, 08:16 PM

Default Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Lastly there's the "I heard Shakespeare was this great and original writer, and then I went to see one of his plays and it was full of clichés!" factor. The Brian Wilson style was influential and was copied widely, so it seems less fresh and original to later listeners, proof of it's impact.
That's a GREAT quote that I shall attempt to remember, and very apt!

"Pet Sounds" was the first album I brought home and fell in love with. Whether or not it was "Rock" was the least of my concerns. Brian's songs spoke to those so well. I was 13, sensitive and lonely and drawn towards the idea of romance. This wasn't happy dance music or steadfast folk music or cocky rockabilly. More like doo-wop, with depth. Compared to the records with my limited listening, the sound of "Pet Sounds" was closer to Johnny Mathis, but with much darker lyrics and confessions. A completely first-person document, stripped of the stylized theatricality of "Sgt. Pepper."

Yes, one masterwork inspired the other. Both shared a new ambition for studio production innovations. But they were quite different projects.

"Pet Sounds" closes with the ambient sound of a dog barking at a train bell trails off into the distance. I knew just what that meant, as did a young Johnny Cash. Interestingly, the latest album from my favorite jazzer, Pat Metheny, winds down with a moment of train noise...
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 10-06-2020, 04:18 PM

I'm with you regarding Sgt Pepper as the better album however as for best single, I tip my hat to the Beach Boys with 'Good Vibrations'.

So much crammed into that song.

Timeless.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-06-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I'm with you regarding Sgt Pepper as the better album however as for best single, I tip my hat to the Beach Boys with 'Good Vibrations'.

So much crammed into that song.

Timeless.
I agree with you about 'Good Vibrations'. One of my favorite songs by any artist, but it isn't on the Pet Sounds album. Apparently it was recorded during those sessions, but was left off of the album.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-06-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes1971 View Post
Never cared for anything by the Beach Boys.Actually saying "never cared for" is being too kind,I hate everything they ever did.They,and Elton John are 2 that get the channel switch when either comes on the radio.Different strokes....
I thought Elton John's 2nd album released in 1970 - simply titled 'Elton John' - had many superb tracks but he completely lost me after that .. until 'Blue Moves' in 1976.
That's it, nothing else he did appealed to me ... including 'Yellow Brick Road'.

p.s. Regarding the Beach Boys - I think Paul McCartney quoted 'God Only Knows' as the most beautiful song he didn't write!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 10-08-2020, 02:59 PM

Default Like Americana music?

Any fan of groups like The Band (were there any others like them?) would probably enjoy "Tumbleweed Connection," Elton's mid-70's album that dealt with historic American events like the Pueblo Uprising ("Burn Down the Mission") and cowboy conflicts of revenge ("My Father's Gun"). Lyricist Bernie Taupin, like Robbie Robertson, was absorbed with books on American history, with Tapuin especially fond of the Old West. Elton's performances are rich and soulful, and he's in the best voice of his career. You might want to give it a listen, if you haven't already. The songs, performance and presentation are nothing like the Captain Fantastic persona he took on soon afterwards.
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 10-08-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
Any fan of groups like The Band (were there any others like them?) would probably enjoy "Tumbleweed Connection," Elton's mid-70's album that dealt with historic American events like the Pueblo Uprising ("Burn Down the Mission") and cowboy conflicts of revenge ("My Father's Gun"). Lyricist Bernie Taupin, like Robbie Robertson, was absorbed with books on American history, with Tapuin especially fond of the Old West. Elton's performances are rich and soulful, and he's in the best voice of his career. You might want to give it a listen, if you haven't already. The songs, performance and presentation are nothing like the Captain Fantastic persona he took on soon afterwards.
There was something strangely disingenuous about a London born musician singing lyrics written by a Lincolnshire born man about country and western/Americana themes - it just didn't sit right for me.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 10-08-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
There was something strangely disingenuous about a London born musician singing lyrics written by a Lincolnshire born man about country and western/Americana themes - it just didn't sit right for me.
I always though that too, but that is still one heck of a great album. I’d love to find an interview with Bernie or Elton about their inspiration for the album and need to record it. Was it merely a commercial idea, or was there a more personal aspect to it?
Old 10-08-2020, 07:31 PM

Default You have a point, of course..

Quote:
It’s the same point as criticizing any white guy singing the lies. At the age Muddy Waters was picking Cotten, a prosperous student at the London School of Economics started singing the Blackest of Blues. Muddy forgave that, because Jagger was sincere and acknowledged him. Likewise, Bowie wasn’t a Martian, or even an astronaut! All performers adopt a persona, and fortunately we’re free to choose.
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 10-08-2020, 07:48 PM

Default Not Impressed by Beach Boys' Pet Sounds Album

I have a Beach Boys story.

I went to see them with my mother in law at my local House of Blues about 25 years ago.

They came out and did their thing, along with a rather large and talented group of backing musicians and singers. They sounded fine and still had lots of energy. Well, except for Carl Wilson.

Carl came out and sat on a stool as he played.

I thought to myself, “C’mon Carl, all these people paid good money to see you guys and you come out here and sit on a stool? Give me break!”

About five songs in, Mike Love says, “Everyone give a big hand to Carl Wilson! Carl’s been fighting cancer and this is his first show back!”

Oops.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 10-09-2020, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, but you're kinda "one of them" anyway, right, mate?

(nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more!)

I can tell you that "Tumbleweed" was (and still is) one of my favorites of Elton's work... I loved how he finally let his guitar player (Caleb Quaye?) off the leash a bit for that record. The incongruity didn't escape me, but, in Southern California in the early 70's, that was a well-received record!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 10-11-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Yeah, but you're kinda "one of them" anyway, right, mate?

(nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more!)

I can tell you that "Tumbleweed" was (and still is) one of my favorites of Elton's work... I loved how he finally let his guitar player (Caleb Quaye?) off the leash a bit for that record. The incongruity didn't escape me, but, in Southern California in the early 70's, that was a well-received record!
'Love Song' was the stand out track to me and strangely there's no piano on it but you can keep all the 'guns-country-father-soldier-burning mission' stuff.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 10-12-2020, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Since today was the first time you listened to the whole thing, maybe give it a few more spins? (Showing my age there, you are probably streaming it ) Pretty much one of the greatest pop records ever produced according to a lot of folks.
A big endorsement for this idea. Some of my favorite all time albums are those I was lukewarm with at best early on. I’m not a huge Beatles or Beach Boys fan (like em well enough, and huge respect, but not really my regular cup of tea), but I am a Huge Stones fan and Exile on Main St. is my all time favorite album and it took months before that dense, funky album really clicked for me. I liked it JUST enough to keep going back to it, but then I fell totally down it’s rabbit hole, and 50 years after it came out, I’m still finding new stuff to love about it. I was kind of like that with Blood on the Tracks and Tonight’s the Night as well.

Some things just take time.

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN