The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-24-2020, 09:42 AM

Default airpods or something like that for practicing electric

hi,

One of the less dire consequences of the virus lockdown is that I'm never really out of earshot of others. I've tried practicing electric with fancy headphones and a pod thing, but I really hate being all wired up. Is there such a thing as guitar amplifier that plugs into the guitar and would connect with my airpods?

Or do others have good solutions for silent practice? I have a couple of cheap guitar amps, but don't really like the sound (or the wires), and I had guitar headphones (Vox?) which stopped working after about a month.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

will
Old 09-24-2020, 10:07 AM

If you have an IOS phone look into IRig. Plugs a guitar directly into your phone. I assume you can then go via bluetooth to a wireless headphone/earbud situation. But I don't know if that is true. Very small. Like a short cigar.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter View Post
hi,

One of the less dire consequences of the virus lockdown is that I'm never really out of earshot of others. I've tried practicing electric with fancy headphones and a pod thing, but I really hate being all wired up. Is there such a thing as guitar amplifier that plugs into the guitar and would connect with my airpods?

Or do others have good solutions for silent practice? I have a couple of cheap guitar amps, but don't really like the sound (or the wires), and I had guitar headphones (Vox?) which stopped working after about a month.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

will
In addition to what Blue said, here are some amps with Bluetooth.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/sea...ooth+amplifier
Old 09-29-2020, 06:09 AM

The problem with Bluetooth headsets is latency. I find the delay in hearing what you play very disconcerting.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 09-29-2020, 11:00 AM

I know how you feel with the headphone cables in the way. The kind of wires used with wired phone/tablet ear buds tend to be if anything more annoying.

Since I record a fair amount, and share my living space almost 7x24 with other people in the current situation I use an electric guitar and headphone a fair amount. I'm sort of used to it. "Real" headphones tend to have bulkier cords that I find are easier to keep away from the guitar, but yes, you're still tethered.

Bluetooth by reputation has latency issues. I don't know from personal experience.

There is the Vox AmpPlug which is fairly inexpensive, plugs into an electric guitar's jack and gives you a headphone out. Sounds like what you are asking for. D

ADD: Duh! I see the OP had tried what may be the AmpPlug and had a bad experience.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 09-29-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:20 AM

If you have no budget constrictions you could investigate
Boss WAZA-AIR Wireless

Pretty amazing....

Nick
Old 09-29-2020, 12:15 PM

I don't like headphones so I plug into an amp sim pedal (Joyo American Sound) and run the line out to an old 4 small speaker stereo system. For a clean signal this sounds good turned down lower than what most folks run their TV. I think the key is that the 4 speakers sound fuller down low. I've gotten by with this for several years now when I am in the house for the winter and don't want to disturb she who watches TV.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:48 AM

I have had the Vox ampplug classic rock for couple of years. Love the sound and has been trouble free. I enjoy it so much gifted the metal one to guitar player son in law. Headphone cord can be pain but live with it
Old 09-30-2020, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlorman View Post
The problem with Bluetooth headsets is latency. I find the delay in hearing what you play very disconcerting.
Yes that would be my concern also. I have a great hybrid tube practice amp with spk. load HP output option , which I love. I suppose because I don't mind wired Headphones

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-30-2020, 10:49 AM

Here's a mitigating idea for those "too many cable" issues: take a headphone cable and a guitar cable. Bind them together (nylon zip ties for semi-permanent use, just bread/trash bag twist ties if you want to try it out). Leave just enough un-bound at each end so that you can don the cans and jack into whatever output jack gets you audio out.

Now you have just the one cable to manage. If you use a guitar stand* to temporarily store your guitar while you go get a beverage etc., rig up one of those clamp-on headphone hangers made for mic stands. If you leave your guitar plugged in, you should be able to park your 'phones there too. And the same hanger might allow you to leave your twin chord and headphones ready to grab the next time you play.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-30-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Funny, I used to have one of the early Rockman units, and it was a lot of fun to play through - although I never did realize that turning down the gain knob on the back would lessen the signal noise! DOH!

But that used headphones... unless you want to be "making noise out in the room", you're gonna have to bite the bullet and do what works... headphones. Franks' suggestion above is a good one.

Black Star and Vox both make plug-ns that are serviceable, but pay attention to which one you get! Many times (with the Vox units) they are quite genre/tone specific, so choose one that will get you where you want to go...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars