The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: How do you play guitar?
Privately for my own enjoyment 182 54.33%
Publicly for others, casually 78 23.28%
I'm a working musician 42 12.54%
other 33 9.85%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2020, 02:11 AM

Default Do you play publicly or privately??

Wanted to throw this question out to get a sense of how everyone here interacts with their instruments.

I would assume that anyone with general proficiency in an instrument has most likelt played a concert before, but what I'm really getting at here is whether or not there's a desire in you to actually play out, on a stage?

Do you learn your instrument for yourself as a form of self enjoyment and betterment, or as a way of bringing joy to others? Also have another option included for folks who're also working musicians.

Last edited by nchin241; 08-21-2020 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:26 AM
Charter Member

Other.
for me the point of singing and playing guitar is to entertain others.
As a drummer, I got tired of sitting at the back watching the other guys doing it, so I wanted to sing.
To sing I needed to accompany my voice. that's why I bought a guitar.

The most satisfying place in the world for me is to be on a stage in front of an audience.

Obviously no-one is playing in public at present, and I'm starting to doubt that it'll ever happen again.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:40 AM

I play every Sunday at my church.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:45 AM

It's the age of Youtube and lately Corona. Why would anyone play publicly?

2020 Taylor 814ce DLX
2017 Taylor 414ce-R (Sold)
2015 Taylor 114ce (Sold)
Old 08-21-2020, 04:07 AM

I just play at home on the couch for my own enjoyment. For years, before Covid-19 I used to take a group of about 10 -15 kids and teens from my church to a nursing home on Sunday afternoon. We would sing for the residents. I would also use my guitar on Wednesday nights to lead singing hymns and worship service at a country correction facility.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

I play with three jam groups every month, but we have been shut down since March. There is one group that is playing outside, with masks and distance, but I'm waiting for the ''all clear''. I've told the members of my group that we probably won't be back until there is a vaccine.

I miss them all but when we come back, I'm going to have some really great new songs!
Old 08-21-2020, 04:30 AM

I went for “other”.

For many years, I mostly played privately, with occasional jamming with one of two other guys I knew who played...but my focus when jamming was mostly on singing and playing rhythm while my friends took leads.

About 6 years ago, I started going to a large jam group that met weekly, and there was an expectation and encouragement to take lead breaks. My leads were awful at first, but the format pushed me forward.

As my leads and my fills and my overall playing improved, I got more comfortable with sharing my music, and I was soon getting encouraging feedback about how others felt about my playing and singing. At that point, I started thinking about sharing my music more generally. I started attending a few Open Mics, which I hated at first: terrible stage fright. I took on the challenge of facing my stage fright...but more as a self-development issue than as a step towards sharing my music.

I am currently playing once a week in an outdoor jam. On Sunday, I will play with two other folks: an “outdoor house concert” that a friend impulsively put together last week. It sounds like there might be 15 people coming to hear us.

In a few weeks, I will play solo at an outdoor Farmers Market.

I still consider myself to be a private player, and most of my repertoire consists of songs that appeal to me. Many of them are not well suited to bringing to jams, and most of them are a bit obscure...there are only a handful of songs that I play that “everyone knows” and would recognize. But, more and more, I am happy to share the music I enjoy with others if they want to listen to it.

While the options for sharing music are pretty limited now, I think that will change...but it may never be the way it was, with people packing into bars to listen to performers. We will see what the future brings. But many people long to hear people play and sing “live”, so some format will emerge even if the virus isn’t more contained than it has been. Maybe more roof top concerts like the Beatles did in “Let It Be”?
Old 08-21-2020, 04:33 AM
Charter Member

In a working band beginning in 1978. Clubs, specials, some concert openers, recording since around 2000. Last couple years, working on solo acoustic sets. Not playing a regular gig since 2018. But keep in shape and ready for anything as soon as things are safe enough to do so.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:37 AM

At home on the sofa. I only really play for the wife, kids and cats.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:59 AM
Charter Member

When I was in my 20’s I played publicly a lot. Tons of jam sessions with other folks (mostly electric), sat in with bands around town from time to time. Part of a duo that played locally for about a year (for beer and pizza on off-nights, nothing serious). But then a long layoff for family and career time constraints, and since I really got back into playing a lot almost four years ago, I’m a home player. Family and friends hear me play from time to time, but haven’t played with or for other people this go around.

-Ray
Old 08-21-2020, 05:43 AM

I began guitar to play for and with others, to contribute to songfests. If I were a better singer, I might not have started. I developed a love of old songs along the way. It was the need, desire to share this which led me to performing.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:51 AM

I did some performing in the past and found it without value. I now play just for myself. From the beginning it was more of a therapy tool than a tool for performance. Its about 5am here and pretty soon Im going to get it out. The joy that the music brings is my motivation. I dont sing, its just the guitar. Fortunately I have a great guitar. Ive had great guitar brands in the past but they werent great.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samogitian View Post
It's the age of Youtube and lately Corona. Why would anyone play publicly?
There's a big difference. You tube and recording has its place but lacks the human connection. It's worth striving for.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:19 AM

I have played in plenty of bands, but am playing solo open mics for now (well, not for the past few months...) - I love getting a song fully ready to sell. Keeps me on my toes.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

I started playing 8 years ago at age 58 and play at home in my lower level (basement) living room alone for my own enjoyment. Occasionally I will jam with a couple friends that encourage me, but my confidence is non existent when others are listening.
I did an open mic once with the help of a friend. It went pretty well but I have never mustered up the courage to do it again.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion